logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Error: OLE IDispatch exception code 0 from mscorlib
N8VZ
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 3:08:42 PM(UTC)
cjdenbow

Groups: Registered, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Dennis,

First you can ignore my request yesterday for a direct download link. My CD seems to be functioning fine now. Not sure what the problem was.

For the last two days I've been attempting a fresh install of LOGic9 on a new machine, running Win7-64 (Professional). The install seems to go fine. Then I update to the latest patch. Then, before I even try to do a restore, I try to enter ">Setup>Misc ham setup, rig, TNC" and I get the following error message: "OLE IDispatch exception code 0 from mscorlib: Failed to compare two elements in an array ..." I've tried to uninstall and reinstall several times, even using a program that searches for remnants left over by the regular uninstall routines; unfortunately none of this has helped. From what I know this is a FoxPro error message. The only thing that I could think of as a possible reason for this problem is that I do run another program on this machine that uses a FoxPro database, though that program was not running when I encountered these issues. That's probably a stretch. Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

Tnxs & 73,

Carl
N8VZ
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 5:58:08 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Hi Carl,

I have precisely the same problem - Win7-64 (Professional).

I had been using Logic 9 and Logic 8 on the system for over 12 months, years with Logic 8. I also run several "instances" of Logic with different call signs, reports and data locations. When, without any warning this problem started happening with Logic 9 only. I run TRX Manager as the interface to my rigs.

I suspect it is the "64 bit" nature of the system that is at the root of the problem. Either something in the "Microsoft security updates", or something I changed on my system - but I have no clue as to what changed.

I have searched for weeks looking for problems with my system, installing/uninstalling - to no result.

I have good backups, so I have used other PCs for Logic while trying to find a solution.

In the end, I have implemented a "Virtual Machine" using Oracle's free Virtual Box software - I have a Dell Notebook using an i7 processor and lots of RAM. I had a old license for Win XP, so Logic is now running again on my primary PC as a Win XP "virtual machine".

Logic works well in this mode.

I continue to search for a solution, and when I find it, I will revert to the Win7 64bit installation. Well, maybe not, as the Virtual Machine works so well I may leave it that way. Then, when I eventually replace the Dell Notebook, I can simply copy the virtual machine to the new PC and carry on as before.

I hope Dennis can shed some light onto the problem. I am at my "wits' end" - lots of work, no result.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
N8VZ
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:06:28 PM(UTC)
cjdenbow

Man

Thanks, Peter, for the info. Since I'm running Win7-64 Professional, I have a built in "virtual machine," but I'm going to refrain from using that approach until we hear back from Dennis. I suspect that there's going to be an easier way to solve this problem, but your approach is interesting. I think you're probably right in centering in on the 64-bit architecture as being part of the issue, but there are many folks running under Win7-64 without problems so there must be other factors as well. JOOC, what AV software do you use? I'm using Avira. Also, do you have any other software installed that uses a FoxPro database? I have TMG 8.04 (The Master Genealogist) installed and it's got a FoxPro core. As I said, that's probably a long shot, but I could see the possibility of two FoxPro programs not playing well together. I'm grasping for straws here, but I think together we can figure something out. I really appreciate you posting your experiences. This means that it is not something unique to my machine, but a more general problem that can affect multiple machines under the right conditions.

Carl
N8VZ
vk4iu
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:51:34 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day,

You are going thorugh all the same thought processes as me.

I use Microsoft's Security Essentials. I have used, but would now not use, the Win 7, XP Mode virtual machine. VirtualBox is much more flexible, and is not limited to WinXP - one can run Linux etc etc.

My PC has all sorts of software installed - but Logic is the only Foxpro system. After some clean up of old unused software, I just re-attempted a new install - from the CD of 12 months ago - same result, the error you describe above.

In the past, I have run multiple copies of Logic at the same time - different "instances", and call signs, different report sets etc etc. At the same time, I have run FoxPro tools I have written myself, but they are simple stuff compared to the commercial products.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
N8VZ
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:06:29 PM(UTC)
cjdenbow

Man

Well, mate, I thought it might be useful if we both posted our system information to see if there are any similarities:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name N8VZ-HAMSHACK
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model SX2370
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD A6-3620 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 2200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P01-A3, 11/21/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name N8VZ-HamShack\N8VZ
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 14.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 13.5 GB
Available Physical Memory 8.06 GB
Total Virtual Memory 26.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 21.1 GB
Page File Space 13.5 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
vk4iu
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 11:00:36 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

... I don't think all that detail is relevant. The only major difference I see is that I am using an Intel I7 processor.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name I7
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Dell System Vostro 3750
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A12, 22/02/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale Australia
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name i7\peter
Time Zone E. Australia Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.90 GB
Available Physical Memory 881 MB
Total Virtual Memory 11.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.85 GB
Page File Space 5.90 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

My system is 100% up to date with Microsoft updates - not just the high priority stuff. The only item not included is the useless Bing Desktop.

The devil is in the detail of our systems. For this and other reasons, I am considering a complete re-install using the "recovery partition".

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
WN4AZY
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:26:52 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
Hi Guys:

Carl, good to see you on the forum. Welcome!

I have not run into this error.

Here is what I do know:

mscorlib is part of the microsoft .Net framework. I doubt problem is with FoxPro or another installed FoxPro app. The FoxPro part of LOGic doesn't use any of the shared files of the VFP installation -- it should be pretty much standalone.

I use Win 7 Pro 64 100%. And no problems.

Have you installed the .50 update? It has all of the latest .net libraries that I wrote for LOGic.

The problem may be with serial ports. Try unplugging any USB=>RS232 adapters. Does Tools/Advanced/Serial Port Status cause the same error?

You could try reinstalling the .NET framework. You need 2.0 latest service pack which is 2 I think. Here is a thread with someone else who had a corrupted framework install.
http://hosenose.com/Foru...t762_Program-Error.aspx

Let me know!

DH
N8VZ
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:31:18 AM(UTC)
cjdenbow

Man

Well, I do think this helps us rule out a lot of possibilities. For instance, I was thinking that it might be an anomaly of a particular model of a particular company with a proprietary driver of some sort that caused a conflict. Obviously, since you are using a Dell and I a Gateway this is not the case. Further you have an Intel processor and I have an AMD processor. In fact, I see many more differences in our machines than similarities. I think that this helps us rule out a lot of possibilities, but I don't see anything that gets ruled in. In fact, the only thing that jumps out at me as being the same is the HAL; but I suspect that everyone who is up-to-date with all the MS updates would have the same HAL. I must admit that I only have a vague understanding of HAL, so this might not be true. OK, I'm waiting for Dennis to chime in. He's usually pretty prompt, so I'm wondering if he might be on a trip or something now.
N8VZ
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:47:02 AM(UTC)
cjdenbow

Man

>>> mscorlib is part of the microsoft .Net framework. I doubt problem is with FoxPro or another installed FoxPro app. The FoxPro part of LOGic doesn't use any of the shared files of the VFP installation -- it should be pretty much standalone.<<<

Thanks for the info.

>>> Have you installed the .50 update? <<<

Yes!

>>> The problem may be with serial ports. Try unplugging any USB=>RS232 adapters. <<<

I'll try this and let you know if it solves the problem.

<<< Does Tools/Advanced/Serial Port Status cause the same error?<<<

Yes,I just tried it and got the following:

System.InvalidOperationException: Failed to compare two elements in the array. ---> System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
at System.Int16.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
at System.Convert.ToInt16(String value)
at PDA.ComPort.PortUsersDisplayForm.<PortUsersDisplayForm_Load>b__0(PortUser i1, PortUser i2)
at System.Array.FunctorComparer`1.Compare(T x, T y)
at System.Collections.Generic.ArraySortHelper`1.SwapIfGreaterWithItems(T[] keys, IComparer`1 comparer, Int32 a, Int32 b)
at System.Collections.Generic.ArraySortHelper`1.QuickSort(T[] keys, Int32 left, Int32 right, IComparer`1 comparer)
at System.Collections.Generic.ArraySortHelper`1.Sort(T[] keys, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Collections.Generic.ArraySortHelper`1.Sort(T[] keys, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)
at System.Array.Sort[T](T[] array, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.Sort(Comparison`1 comparison)
at PDA.ComPort.PortUsersDisplayForm.PortUsersDisplayForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

>>> You could try reinstalling the .NET framework. <<<

OK, I'll try that after the other suggestions.

Tnx and 73,

Carl

WN4AZY
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:54:21 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Yeah, try removing the COM Ports first.

Hey, look in the device manager under ports/COM & LPT and see if anything looks screwey.

And, is there any info in the title bar of the error dump?
N8VZ
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:28:46 AM(UTC)
cjdenbow

Man

>>> Yeah, try removing the COM Ports first. <<<

I had three USB>serial adapters. I removed them all. It didn't make a difference.

>>> Hey, look in the device manager under ports/COM & LPT and see if anything looks screwey.<<<

No, everything looked OK. Here's what I have after removing the three USB>serial adapters:

4 Eltima Virtual Serial Ports (COM11-12/COM12-11; COM13-14/COM14-13)
1 FlexControl USB Control Knob (COM9)
1 Sierra Wireless Application Interface NMEA (COM10)
1 Silcon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM5) -- This is the driver for the USB port built into my TS590s

>>> And, is there any info in the title bar of the error dump? <<<

Only "unhandled exception has occurred."

I hope that this will help to track things down. I'm going to try the .Net Framework reinstall next.
WN4AZY
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:33:35 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Quote:
4 Eltima Virtual Serial Ports (COM11-12/COM12-11; COM13-14/COM14-13)
1 FlexControl USB Control Knob (COM9)
1 Sierra Wireless Application Interface NMEA (COM10)
1 Silcon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM5) -- This is the driver for the USB port built into my TS590s

How much work would it be to remove these devices? "Eltima Virtual Serial Ports", "USB Control Knob" etc. make me feel uneasy. None of these are standard Microsoft-driver COM ports. If they have FTDI drivers they are probably OK. Same with the Silicon Labs -- not as confident with Silicon Labs as with FTDI, but we have people using them without problems.

Check that all of these have the latest drivers.

DH
N8VZ
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 11:02:48 AM(UTC)
cjdenbow

Man

The VSP would be a pain to uninstall, especially if I had to uninstall the VSP program itself. This is an enterprise grade product that is offered free to hams by the software engineer. It is necessary to do digital modes with Flex radios. FlexControl knob could just be unplugged. Sierra Wireless is for a wireless modem that I connect via USB every now and then to buy a months worth of service when I'm going on a trip. It could be uninstalled easily. I guess I could unplug the Kenwood USB port, but you must have many hams using this interface since it's common to most modern Kenwood and Icom rigs. I'm in the process right now of cleaning out all the .net Framework stuff. I'll then reinstall, and report back. 73 de Carl
N8VZ
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:10:31 PM(UTC)
cjdenbow

Man

Well, a cleaning out of .net framework stuff and re-installing did not solve the problem.
N8VZ
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:17:31 PM(UTC)
cjdenbow

Man

Likewise, FlexControl was not the issue.
WN4AZY
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:19:30 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

And we have other people using FlexRadio too...

Let me sleep on it.
N8VZ
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:30:41 PM(UTC)
cjdenbow

Man

I deleted all of the VSPs (virtual serial ports), but kept my VSP manager installed, and Voilà -- LOGic is happy and I can access setup. I'm going to reinstall the VSPs and see if things turn ugly again, or if there was some corruption in my VSPs that caused the problem. I will report back. But, we are making progress. de Carl
N8VZ
#18 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 4:38:50 PM(UTC)
cjdenbow

Man

Oh crap . . . when I reinstalled the virtual ports in vspMgr, the old OLE error reappeared. Now, when I delete the virtual ports, the error does not go away. In fact, even uninstalling vspMgr doesn't help. I'm now in contact with the author of vspMgr to see if we can figure out what the problem might be.
vk4iu
#19 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 6:52:53 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day,

... thanks for the hints Dennis - re serial ports. I think, I have success at VK4IU.

Yes, the error occurs with Advanced, Serial Port Status - as Carl lists above. I had previously checked that the problem occurred with the original Logic9, and after .50 update was installed. I did not try to "refresh" the .Net Framework.

As Carl had, I too had been mucking about with Virtual Serial ports. In my case, Logic, TRX Manager, RemoteRig devices, and Elecraft K3/0s running against K3s elsewhere on my local network - my radio shack is 100 meters from the house. But, the problem started after that activity rather than while setting it up or using it. There was no problem for weeks - until I wanted to change the config a little and tried to open Tools, Setup, Misc Ham Setup.

So, given the "serial port hints", today, I set "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" in my Windows environment and proceeded to purge any serial devices real or virtual from the system. I used hints from the past, and searches of the Internet, to manually purge the registry of serial port data.

Unfortunately, there was no change - the error still occurs.

I then sat back and had a good think. I made a cup of tea, checked my mobile phone ... hang on, the phone is new, and I use Bluetooth to the PC! ... and during the install I remember Bluetooth modems!

I then took a look at "Bluetooth Devices" in Windows - and there was my old phone, with TWO entries, one marked with an exclamation mark, alongside the entry for the new phone.

I deleted both old Bluetooth devices. Checked Logic - Serial Port Status - BINGO! - no errors!!!!

I am now proceeding to test, test and test again, to see that the error on my system has gone. The new phone is still connected via Bluetooth and I am able to sync with it. Logic 9 is functional, no problems.

I will keep you posted if I again get the error - for now I think I am "out of the woods" - so to speak.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
WN4AZY
#20 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2013 11:42:22 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

FB Peter!

Carl, I'm not sure what your virtual COM ports do exactly, but I have worked with them on GPS app I did. I first tried virtual COM ports made by a ham, an 8-call as I remember. They were very flaky and unstable. I then downloaded the free com0com virtual ports (search for it) and they work great. This was before LOGic 9, but would be something to try.

Tnx & 73,

DH