logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Spot Log Mode Question
N7TB
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2018 4:58:11 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello all,

I connect to dxspots.net for getting the spots in the spot log form. I notice that in the mode column, any FT8 or other digital contact is recorded as "CW." Being predominantly a CW operator with no interest in other digital modes, it is frustrating to see a dx spot then have to look at the frequency of the spot and realize it is in the FT8, RTTY or some other digital modes band area.

Is there some way to parse out the digital spots , or to correctly indentify them so that only true CW contacts are recorded as CW?

This may be something out of the control of LOGic and a result of the spotting software being read. Perhaps another spotting site besides dxspots.net?

Thanks,

Terry, N7TB
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
wa4pgm
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2018 5:14:55 PM(UTC)
kchavis

Groups: Administrators, Registered, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 221 time(s) in 191 post(s)
You can turn off spotting of certain modes by going to Tools>Setup>Modes and then uncheck the digital modes you don't want to see in Spot Log.
1 user thanked wa4pgm for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 11/18/2018(UTC)
WN4AZY
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2018 8:16:05 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Thanks Kyle.

Also, go to tools/setup/modes. Here you can tell LOGic to set up spotting for various modes. Take a look at tools/setup/modes, in particular the SPOT MODE and SPOT? columns. If the contents of the SPOT MODE column are found in the comment area of the spot, and SPOT? is checked, the QSO will be spotted with the mode in the ACTUAL MODE column. Look at RTTY as an example. There are two entries for RTTY. One has SPOT MODE of RTTY and the other has a SPOT MODE of RYRY. If either RTTY or RYRY appears in the spot comment, RTTY will be the spotted mode.

So to spot FT8 as the mode, enter FT8 for spot mode, and checkmark the SPOT? column. Now, FT8 spots will have the correct mode.

If someone spots an FT8 QSO, and fails to indicate that it is FT8, then LOGic will spot it as CW, since it IS a CW frequency. I don't think this is a big problem, but you could add small segments to the band table to cover FT8 frequencies and allow a khz or two wiggle room. Then any spot in that range will be treated as FT8, regardless of the contents of the spot comment.

WN4AZY
N7TB
#4 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2018 12:18:26 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the information. That is very helpful. I had Ft8 in the spot mode as a data mode, but the spot? was not checked. Now it is, and the FT8 spots now show up as DATA in the mode column.

Your software is so very powerful. I have used it for 15 years or so, maybe more, but I have not taken the time to really dig into all the forms and possible things that can be set. I guess I need to bite the bullet and do more of that.

73's,

Terry