logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Flex SmartSDR 2.3.7 new spots feature
K4MV
#1 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2018 12:29:59 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
FlexRadio recently released SmartSDR for Windows version 2.3.7 which, among other things, provides the capability to display spots on the SmartSDR Panadapter. To do so it must get the spotting data from somewhere. I am hoping to get the data from Logic 9. The documentation provided by FlexRadio (http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/spots-feature-description-pdf/) uses N1MM as the example. I am able to interface with my FlexRadio today to pass frequency, and other data, back and forth. Is there a similar way that Logic 9 can be configured so that spots from Logic 9 can be exported in such a way that my FlexRadio can receive these spots?
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2018 2:35:24 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
That documentation isn't a lot of help. All it is saying is to set N1MM up to send the spot info. It doesn't say what format the spot is supposed to be in. The same format as it comes off the cluster perhaps? (DX DE WN4AXY: DU1XXX 14123 STRONG SIGS).

Anyway, it wouldn't be difficult to do if we know exactly what to send. You could do a simple test with Telnet. Open localhost:12061 and type in some spots using the sample I provided above. Send a carriage return at the end.

We already pass spot info to TRX-Manager BTW.

Which radio interface are you using in LOGic? Someone (maybe you) told me the K3 interface works.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K4MV
#3 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2018 7:36:50 PM(UTC)

Dennis,
Thanks for your quick response. I'll try what you suggest. Meanwhile, someone in a FlexRadio forum suggested I pass on the following to you. FlexRadio has created an API to support this new spotting functionality. This, and other API's, can be found at http://www.flexradio.com...lexlib_api_v2-3-7-zip/. I noticed in the FlexLib folder a Spot.cs file that I assume is the appropriate API. I'm familiar with the function of API's but not the technical side and what is needed to put one in place. I would appreciate your thoughts as to whether this API is something that could be incorporated into Logic 9. If the Logic 9 user base includes more and more FlexRadio users, perhaps there are other API's FlexRadio has delivered that might make sense to include.

In response to your other question, I am using the Kenwood TS-2000 interface.

Mark K4MV
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 1, 2018 8:49:54 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Haven't had a chance to dig into it yet, but it says it is ".Net classes", which is perfect. And they include source code! We are moving more and more of LOGic to .Net.

Are you using the new TS-2000 interface or one of the legacy ones? If you could try interface #54 (TS-850...) on 9.1.36 with polling both on and off and let me know how it does or doesn't work, I would appreciate it. I made an update to it on Friday I think it was, so pse download and install .36 again. On the K3 (which is a subclass of the Kenwood), it works with polling on but not with polling off, and I can't figure out why. Maybe the K3 isn't behaving like a Kenwood as I am expecting, or something is wrong with my Kenwood code.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K4MV
#5 Posted : Monday, July 2, 2018 2:22:03 PM(UTC)

Dennis,
I was using the TS-2000 interface (#31) while running version 9.1.34. I upgraded to 9.1.36 and changed the radio to #54. I can "read" the frequency from the radio, however, when I try and transfer a frequency from the 'Spot Log' Logic shuts down. When I relaunch Logic 9 I need to rebuild the tables, not unexpected, but I get an error message saying one of the COM ports is no longer available. I'm still able to launch Logic because the message doesn't deal with a COM port I'm using with the radio. If I shut down Logic and SmartSDR, then relaunch both, the COM port error goes away. You are welcome to try it yourself remotely on my system if you would like. I also wonder if the FlexRadio API information I sent you might provide an improved way for you to integrate Logic 9 with FlexRadio's 6000 series radios.

Speaking of the API's, I'm glad to hear what FlexRadio has provided in those files is .NET and includes source code. That should certainly make life easier for you should you decide you want to better integrate Logic 9 with Flex radios. I'd certainly like to see Logic 9 better integrated with my Flex-6700, as I've used Logic for many years. I imagine there are many FlexRadio users who also use Logic 9 that would be willing to work with you to better integrate the two, if you would be interested.

Mark
K4MV
K4MV
#6 Posted : Monday, July 2, 2018 7:34:40 PM(UTC)

I've also noticed that when I manually create a log entry (using the '+') the frequency does not copy over from the radio, it appears to just use the frequency from the previous record. I don't know if this happened in 9.1.34 and the TS-2000 interface since I didn't manually create a log entry then. (I had just started operating my new Flex a day or two before.)
K4MV
#7 Posted : Monday, July 2, 2018 7:44:20 PM(UTC)

Please ignore my comment about the frequency not being copies when manually making a log entry, it does copy the frequency but only from the "A slice", even though I may have been transmitting using a different "slice". Meaning, I may have multiple panadapters open, each with one (or more) "slices" from which I can listen and/or transmit. Each slice is labeled A, B, C, etc. up to H. Each model of FlexRadio can have a different maximum number of slices open at once. For example, the Flex 6300 can have 2 open at once (I think) while the Flex-6700 can have 8 open at once. Regardless, Logic 9 will only copy the frequency from the "A" slice regardless of which slice was actually used. Also, if operating split, only the frequency of the A slice is copied even though another slice is being used to transmit (or receive).
K4MV
#8 Posted : Monday, July 2, 2018 8:27:13 PM(UTC)

It does not appear that the mode is being passed, regardless of the slice.