logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Comment Field Cursor Moves
K1ESE
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:51:51 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
This may happen with other fields as well, but I spend most time in the Comment field. At random times the cursor is
reset to the start of the field. I may be typing "got a new rig" and it comes out "w riggot a ne" or something like
that.

My guess is that this is related to a spot coming in over Telenet 1.

73 de K1ESE
John
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 10:59:19 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
Hi John--

It isn't Telnet 1 or DX Scape -- at least here that is the case.

If I click on any other window within LOGic, causing the log form to lose focus, the cursor is placed at the beginning of the comment field as you describe. So some other window is apparently gaining focus.

Maybe it is the spot log doing it indirectly -- updating the memberships form or something? But I don't think it will unless it has focus.

Maybe if the spot log form is closed, and you receive a spot, and the spot log opens automatically?

Anyway, when the cursor jumps, is the log form the active form? Watch the title bar.

Tnx & 73,

DH
K1ESE
#3 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 4:41:13 PM(UTC)

Dennis -

You are right, the cause is not Telenet or Spot Log. Watched them both run with no 'reset to home' on the Comment textbox.

The log form remains active so there is nothing obvious taking focus, according to the Log Form title bar.

I ran Task Manager for a while looking at CPU usage, but nothing jumped out. But, it would be hard to catch as it happens only once every few minutes.

I seem to remember an old Visual Basic command that would move the cursor to the end of a sting when ever a textbox acquired focus. Something like that would solve the issue, but may not be possible.

Thanks for checking on this.

73 de K1ESE
John

Originally Posted by: WN4AZY Go to Quoted Post
Hi John--

It isn't Telnet 1 or DX Scape -- at least here that is the case.

If I click on any other window within LOGic, causing the log form to lose focus, the cursor is placed at the beginning of the comment field as you describe. So some other window is apparently gaining focus.

Maybe it is the spot log doing it indirectly -- updating the memberships form or something? But I don't think it will unless it has focus.

Maybe if the spot log form is closed, and you receive a spot, and the spot log opens automatically?

Anyway, when the cursor jumps, is the log form the active form? Watch the title bar.

Tnx & 73,

DH

WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 11:41:39 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, the END key does as you describe, sometimes. If the field is empty, it skips to the next field. If the cursor is on a dropdown list, it selectes the last item.... I don't remember if I am placing the cursor when the screen is activated or not. If I am I could check to see if it has contents and is a plain old texbox or not. But I'm pretty sure Windows is handling it.
K1ESE
#5 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 12:12:04 PM(UTC)

Hmmm.... I am not using the END key at all. I just type in the box and sometimes the cursor moves to the start of the box on its own.

Good luck tracking it down.

73 de K1ESE
John

Originally Posted by: WN4AZY Go to Quoted Post
Ok, the END key does as you describe, sometimes. If the field is empty, it skips to the next field. If the cursor is on a dropdown list, it selectes the last item.... I don't remember if I am placing the cursor when the screen is activated or not. If I am I could check to see if it has contents and is a plain old texbox or not. But I'm pretty sure Windows is handling it.

W7OO
#6 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 12:47:08 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi All,

I have a similar problem.

I normally leave the cursor in the call field with nothing entered in the main log form. That way when there is a station I want to work I am ready to enter the call. Sometimes due to QRM, QRN or whatever I miss part of the call so I start the entry but do not complete it. The call field then has a partial call in it.

I also use both DX Summit and Telnet (VE7CC) to get my spots.

If a spot comes in with the partial call entered in the call field the cursor is reset to the beginning of the entry. If I don't notice that the cursor has been moved I get a screwed up call entered.

I have seen this happen real time (partial call entered, spot comes along, cursor is reset to start of field). What I am not sure of is if it happens 100% of the time.
WN4AZY
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:35:10 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, folks, I fixed all the textboxes that accept character input to go to the end of the text instead of the beginning when receiving focus. I've played with it a bit and seems to work well and no problems.

The only thing that I noticed is that it still goes to the beginning of the field when the field is fully filled. Like 599 in RST. You can't place the cursor at the end of the field in these cases, so it's either that, or place the cursor BEFORE the last character. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

This will tenatively be in the next update. Meantime, I have attached the LOGIC.EXE if anyone wants to beta it and give feedback. Just save LOGIC.EXE to the install folder (c:\program files (x86)\logic or c:\program files\logic). Save a copy of the old one in case you want to go back.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis
File Attachment(s):
logic.exe (1,240kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
vk4iu
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:43:02 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day,

I have installed the new logic.exe.

If I have any problems, I will let you know.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
WN4AZY
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:49:16 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, thanks. Operationally, how do you like it? I am leary of changing something so broad-scope :-)

Thanks,

DH
W7OO
#10 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2013 9:10:27 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

I also installed the .exe file above. It works just great. It totally solved the problem I mentioned.

Although I don't have hours and hours on it yet I have found no problems at all.

IT WORKS!

Thanks for listening and the fix.

Bill
W7OO
WN4AZY
#11 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 5:31:10 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, cool. It will be in the next update.

Tnx to YOU and all for your help in this.

Dennis