logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Can USERFIELDS be increased past 254
vk4iu
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:08:35 AM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

My main activity is contesting. I run N1MM for the contest and then load the N1MM ADIF data into Logic for analysis. I usually configure a form for the contest in Logic, re-score the contest in Logic, and then print reports for analysis.

I batch update from the QRZ XML call book. and as I receive QSL cards, I update QSOs with the various fields for awards progress. I usually don't actually apply for the "wall paper" - I just do it for my own satisfaction.

In the past, I have had several problems with the data in USERFIELDS silently exceeding the maximum of 254 characters. I have removed a lot of the personal user fields to stay under the 254 limit. Not a great problem - mainly about what equipment I used for the QSO. It was a lot of work with little reward.

I now run a check to see if any records are approaching the 254 character limit. The largest is currently around 205. Like this for a JA call in BARTG RTTY ...

SRX:7| CQZ:25| STX:1| EX1:214| MISC:214| CONT:AS| RXI:1| ITUZ:45| CALL_AREA:JA4| CON_MULT1:JA| CON_MULTPTS1:1| CON_MULT2:JA4| CON_MULTPTS2:1| CON_MULT3:AS| CON_MULTPTS3:1| CON_QSOPTS:1| IOTA:AS-007| PFX:JO4|

Can anything be done about this character length limit on USERFIELDS?

My guess is, NO, not without a lot of re-programming on your part.

Clearly I can stop re-scoring the contest in Logic, and/or shorten the LAT and LONG data after the QRZ batch update for the contest.

I am grateful for any suggestions you may have?

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:19:48 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
No, sorry, it is a limit of a character field in Visual Foxpro. I should put in some check that lets you know that the limit is being exceeded, however.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
WN4AZY
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 9, 2012 7:59:49 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Oh, BTW, LOGic 8 would automatically import all ADIF fields fed to it, making storing values in USERFIELDS, UNLESS the field was predefined in Tools/Setup/Log Fields and ADIF fImport for that field was turned off.

Now it imports only fields that are in Log Fields and that are turned on of course.

DH