logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Rig keying
W5GA
#1 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2021 7:21:15 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Dennis, I just noticed that when I click on "automatically check in these qsl's", my radio keys up. Nothing is sent, but I can hear the relay close. Any ideas?

73 Doug W5GA
1 user thanked W5GA for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 8/17/2021(UTC)
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2021 7:52:22 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi--

Strange. What hardware do you have connected? A CAT Interface? CW Keyer? PTT?

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
W5GA
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2021 8:14:11 AM(UTC)

CAT/CW/Dig interface is a MicroHam MK3, using their cable set without mod. The settings in use at the time were for FT8. Do you think that's where the problem lies?

73 Doug W5GA
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2021 8:28:49 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Well, I doubt it is Microham's fault. But I can't imagine what LOGic would be doing when checking in QSLs to trigger Microham to do anything.

What connections do you have between Microham and the rig. More than one? Can you disconnect the various cables to help narrow down what exactly is keying the rig (PTT, Vox, Key...)?

Does the rig stay keyed the entire time LOGic is checking in the QSLs? Does it ever release on it's own? I want some idea exactly when keying and unkeying is happening so I know where to look in the code.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
W5GA
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2021 6:10:53 PM(UTC)

Connections between the radio (TT Omni 6v3) and the Microkeyer;

1. direct connection via the microphone jack on the rig
2. direct connection via the Icom interface. Using the LOGic TT Omni 6 legacy driver.

There are also connections for audio in/out, mark and space, key and 13v power.

Just found this while playing around. The MicroHam interface allows different configuration for different software. It does this so you aren't trying do multiple things with com ports at the same time. When the issue occurs, I had the MicroHam software pointed to WSJTX and not LOGic, although what I was doing was very definitely in LOGic. When I select the LOGic configuration, the problem goes away. I have LOGic and WSJTX both running to take advantage of real time QSO logging. Each program is using a different COM port within the MicroHam software. WSJTX uses CAT on COM 2, LOGic runs CAT on virtual COM 7. WSJTX uses COM 3 for PTT, LOGic is not configured with PTT at all.

73 Doug W5GA
W5GA
#6 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2021 9:14:03 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: W5GA Go to Quoted Post
Connections between the radio (TT Omni 6v3) and the Microkeyer;

1. direct connection via the microphone jack on the rig
2. direct connection via the Icom interface. Using the LOGic TT Omni 6 legacy driver.

There are also connections for audio in/out, mark and space, key and 13v power.

Just found this while playing around. The MicroHam interface allows different configuration for different software. It does this so you aren't trying do multiple things with com ports at the same time. When the issue occurs, I had the MicroHam software pointed to WSJTX and not LOGic, although what I was doing was very definitely in LOGic. When I select the LOGic configuration, the problem goes away. I have LOGic and WSJTX both running to take advantage of real time QSO logging. Each program is using a different COM port within the MicroHam software. WSJTX uses CAT on COM 2, LOGic runs CAT on virtual COM 7. WSJTX uses COM 3 for PTT, LOGic is not configured with PTT at all.

73 Doug W5GA

WN4AZY
#7 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2021 1:04:07 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Thanks for rattling my cage on this. I erroneously assumed the problem was solved.

Do I understand correctly that the problem occurs only when Microham is configured for WSJT-X. In this configuration, Microham is using COM 2 and 3. LOGic us using COM 7.

Unplug stuff from the rig to determine what connector is keying the rig. For example the mic plug.

Is LOGic using COM 2 or 3 for anything?

Does this happen with AUTOMATICALLY CHECK IN THESE QSLs in LoTW, eQSL, or both? I checked the code for both and don't see anything that is screwing with COM ports, so the mystery remains.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
W5GA
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 5, 2021 6:12:09 PM(UTC)

Thanks, Dennis Sorry for the delayed reply. When I disconnect the PTT line coming from the Microkeyer, the rig no longer keys. Disconnecting the serial interface had no impact. Within the Microham router software, you are allowed to make multiple configurations to address different software. Example, I have a configuration for LOGic, a configuration for WSJTX, a configuration for MixW, etc. Each has ptt on a different com port. When I have the configuration for WSJTX selected, and do things in LOGic, the rig keys at many unexpected times, and not just when messing with QSL's. For instance, when I start LOGic (say, after a reboot just for example), but I have the WSJTX configuration selected within the Microham router software, I will get an expected error message in LOGic because the CAT com port can't be found due to the WSJTX selection. This error message will briefly key the rig. Does this help any?

73 Doug W5GA
WN4AZY on 9/8/2021(UTC)
WN4AZY
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 8, 2021 10:16:44 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

I am studying this and will get back to you.

Tnx/73,

DH
1 user thanked WN4AZY for this useful post.
W5GA on 9/11/2021(UTC)
WN4AZY
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2021 8:41:24 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Doug:

Quote:
When I disconnect the PTT line coming from the Microkeyer, the rig no longer keys. Disconnecting the serial interface had no impact.
OK, so I hear you saying that LOGic is not connected to the MicroKeyer. Is this correct?

Quote:
When I have the configuration for WSJTX selected, and do things in LOGic, the rig keys at many unexpected times, and not just when messing with QSL's.
Are you sure it is LOGic doing it? If LOGic were doing it, how would it be telling MicroKeyer to key if the serial interface is disconnected?

Sorry, I realize I am not being much help here, but this is way outside my area of expertise. Have you contacted MicroHam? Perhaps between the three of us we could solve it, if they are willing to do a 3-way phone call.

You and I could talk too.

Making a rough block diagram might be useful too, whether you talk to me or the three of us talk.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY

W5GA
#11 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2021 11:39:11 PM(UTC)

Got this put to bed, it was one setting within the MicroHam software causing the issue. Thanks, Dennis!!
WN4AZY on 10/20/2021(UTC)