logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Automatic ADIF Logging
WB4HUC
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2020 4:10:27 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hello,

I'm using automatic ADIF logging to bring log records into Logic from WSJT-X. Logic scarfs up these records as soon as the WSJT-X log is updated, so the automatic import is working. However, after the records are displayed in the Logic log form I see that four fields that are in the ADIF record were not updated in the Logic log form.

See the attachment main_log_screen_after_automatic_adif_logging.jpg. This is how the form looks after automatic ADIF logging brings in the WSJT-X log record. The fields not imported are circled in red. Three of the fields are blank. The power field is populated from the default value in the Log Setup screen, not from the ADIF record.

The record being imported is in the wsjt-x_log_record_for_import_into_logic.adi attachment.

I can go into Tools --> Import Log Data --> ADIF and import the same record manually and all fields are populated in the log form. See the main_log_screen_after_manual_record_import.adi attachment.

Also attached is the Log Setup screen showing the file name for automatic ADIF import. This attachment is named log_form_setup_automatic_adif_logging.adi. And, the Logic ABOUT screen is included so you can see the version and other information. This attachment is named Logic_about_screen.jpg.

The field ANT is a custom field which I added to Logic. Will the automatic ADIF logging handle importing custom fields?

I'm using Windows Version 10.

Thanks,

Mike Newell - WB4HUC
Austin, TX

File Attachment(s):
log_form_setup_automatic_adif_logging.jpg (139kb) downloaded 44 time(s).
Logic_about_screen.jpg (153kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
main_log_screen_after_manual_record_import.jpg (198kb) downloaded 40 time(s).
wsjt-x_log_record_for_import_into_logic.adi (1kb) downloaded 45 time(s).
1 user thanked WB4HUC for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 6/25/2020(UTC)
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 3:50:58 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Thanks for the careful documentation on your request!

I can log Rpt sent and Rpt Rcvd in WSJT-X and it shows up in LOGic's RST fields no problem. I see you are still on version 9.20.5. Get the latest 9.20.7. We may have fixed something related to that in .6.

Quote:
The field ANT is a custom field which I added to Logic. Will the automatic ADIF logging handle importing custom fields?
Tell me how to get WSJT-X to send ANT and RIG to the ADIF file and I will test it. I think it will import it if it is set up in tools/setup/log fields.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
WB4HUC
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 4:07:54 PM(UTC)

Dennis,

Thanks for the reply. I will download the most recent update and will do some more testing.

I guess I left out a step. Since WSJT does not know about custom fields in Logic, I stuck a piece in between WSJTX and Logic.

I wrote a little program that monitors the WSJT log. When my program sees that a new record has been added to the file, it grabs the record.

Then my program adds the ADIF tags for the custom fields and creates an output file.

In the Logic Log form setup I specify the output file of my program as the one Logic should monitor.

When my program updates its output file, Logic grabs the record and does its thing. See the attached document which might make it more clear.

So I will also test the process that uses my program after I update Logic.

--
Mike Newell - WB4HUC
Austin, TX

File Attachment(s):
adif_logging.pdf (169kb) downloaded 24 time(s).
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 4:51:13 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, I would try setting up your ANT and RIG fields in LOGic's tools/setup/log fields, paying particular attention to the ADIF tab. Thinking more about it, you must have the ADIF settings in LOGic set up, because it batch-imports those OK. I will look at the code and get back to you. WSJT-X uses the same import code as LoTW, but is different from the standard file import.

Where is your program getting the RIG and ANT from?

Another option is to simply log RIG and ANT in LOGic. Turn on CARRY FORWARD, and just log it manually the first time, and it will fill in automatically for subsequent QSOs that are added. When you change antennas, tell LOGic and the new value will carry forward.

Incidentally, on your PDF (nicem BTW!): Once everything is set up, you do not need to exit LOGic to start WSJT-X. Just leave LOGic running, and you can exit and start WSJT-X at will. You can even delete the WSJT-X adif file, and LOGic will carry on when you log the next QSO in WSJT-X and creates a new file. It's pretty bulletproof.

The only thing that could get someone into trouble is if they exit LOGic and log a QSO in WSJT-X. The QSO will not be logged of course. When you start LOGic, it is not going to go back and automatically log the QSOs that it missed. The only rule is that LOGic has to be running for a WSJT-X QSO to get logged. Of course you could import the missed QSOs as a standard ADIF file.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
WN4AZY
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 5:01:29 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Looking at the code, it should import anything -- user-defined or not.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
WB4HUC
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 5:24:22 PM(UTC)

Dennis,

I restested everything after I upgraded to 9.20.7 and I get the same results as reported in my first post.

I wasn't sure if Logic needed to be restarted after I changed the log file name in Log/Setup/Auto ADIF logging so I restarted just in case.

Attached are screen captures of the log fields screens for the ANT custom field. The filenames are:

user_defined_ant_field_1.jpg
user_defined_ant_field_2.jpg
user_defined_ant_field_3.jpg
user_defined_ant_field_4.jpg

My program gets the antenna value from the ADIF band field. Most of my antennas are single-band, so I can just hardcode in the program that if the contact is 20 meters then set the ANT field to be the 20 meter dipole.

I found an easy way to test the auto import without actually having to make a contact on the air. I can edit the file that Logic monitors using Notepad, duplicate a record that is already in the file, then save the file. The moment the file is saved Logic grabs that new record. So if you do that with the modified_wsjt-x_log_record_for_import_into_logic.adi attachment from my first post, Logic should grab it when you save the file.

There is one thing about the ANT field. The data value is '30/20 METER INVERTED VEE @ 35' - minus the single quotes, of course. Does ADIF mind the forward slash (/) in the data portion of the tag, or is it just another alphanumeric character that is part of the string?

Also, just for your reference I have included the source code for the two programs I use to add the custom fields to the ADIF record that Logic imports. They are:

list_wsjt_log_omni_2.rexx which calls
export_wsjt_log_2.rexx

As you can see from the suffix, they are written in the REXX programming language.

If you are unfamiliar with REXX you can download the interpreter from here:

https://sourceforge.net/...jects/regina-rexx/files/

Click the regina-rexx link then click the 3.93 link. From there you can download either the 32-bit Regina393w32.exe or 64-bit Regina393w64.exe files for Windows, whichever is appropriate. These are self-extracting installation files.

Go to https://sourceforge.net/...ina-documentation/3.9.1/

to get the documentation.

regina.pdf is the language reference document, and regutil.pdf is the documentation for the external function library.

Thanks again,

Mike - WB4HUC

File Attachment(s):
user_defined_ant_field_1.jpg (254kb) downloaded 22 time(s).
user_defined_ant_field_2.jpg (188kb) downloaded 19 time(s).
user_defined_ant_field_3.jpg (144kb) downloaded 23 time(s).
user_defined_ant_field_4.jpg (147kb) downloaded 17 time(s).
list_wsjt_log_omni_2.txt (7kb) downloaded 23 time(s).
export_wsjt_log_2.txt (6kb) downloaded 24 time(s).
WB4HUC
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 5:28:31 PM(UTC)

Seems that .rexx is not an allowed suffix for upload so I changed the two program names to end in .txt.
WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2020 4:53:54 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi--

Lets start at the basics. Is it logging RST_SENT and RST_RCVD?

I did some tests by pasting a QSO with RIG and ANT into the WSJT-X_log.adi file using notepad. LOGic went crazy. The whole file was basically recreated with all the existing records in it becoming new. But ANT and RIG did get logged.

You can have LOGic automatically log a rig or antenna based on band. Go to log/setup and click on the DEFAULTS tab. Use the ICASE function which is documented in Help. In my example, I did only 10 and 20 meters, but you can have as many pairs as you want. The last parameter is the default if none of the conditions are met. You can put an empty string ( "" ) here.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY

File Attachment(s):
logdefaults.png (38kb) downloaded 26 time(s).
WB4HUC
#9 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2020 7:30:02 PM(UTC)

You reeka!

I found it. I should have put 2 and 2 together before this, but I didn't.

When I went into the log form Defaults screen to add the ICASE function that you mentioned
I saw all the default field values that I had set up.

I looked at the log form and the fields that were not being imported were all fields that had default
values set up for them.

I removed these fields from the default values list and now each field in the ADIF record gets imported
without problem. So I don't need to use the ICASE function at all.

So I guess I need two log forms:

one for digital modes where I will use my REXX program to add the Logic
fields that don't exist in WSJTX, and

another log form for phone and cw where I will put back the fields
in the Defaults section that I don't want to type in after each contact. I can use the ICASE function
in this log form.

Thanks for all your help. I could have saved us both some trouble had I seen this earlier.

I have a YouTube channel where I have a couple of videos about Logic already. I'm going to make sure
all the kinks are worked out of the Automatic ADIF Logging feature, then I'll make a video about it,
if you don't mind.

Mike Newell - WB4HUC
Austin, TX
WB4HUC YouTube channel