logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Antenna switching
W5GA
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:53:13 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Dennis, I'd like to automate my antenna switching. In LOGic 8, it appears that the only way to accomplish this is via a parallel port...is there another way, as most computers don't have parallel ports these days? Or maybe I've missed something obvious? I've already got the switch, and it's good for either sinking or sourcing input.

Thanks!

73 Doug W5GA
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:04:45 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
I don't know -- they don't make the Top 10 device or the Microham thing anymore. There must be some sort of generic RS-232 or USB device that can control devices that could be used. Let me know if you find anything.

DH
W5GA
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:27:11 PM(UTC)

Well, I've got a controller...but it's RS-232. Will Logic address that via the setup menu items? If so, I should be able to address it via a USB/RS-232 converter.

I'm using this...
http://www.elecraft.com/KRC2/krc2.htm
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:04:58 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, I'm glad they make something. I haven't had a chance to read the documentation, but if we can send commands to switch it via an RS-232 port, it should be something we can support.

I see it has a port for the radio and another for the computer. I'm thinking it watches the data stream going to the radio and reacts accordingly. If that is the case there may not be anything that needs to be done in LOGic. Can you confirm?
W5GA
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:25:25 PM(UTC)

Yes, that's how it's supposed to work. Here's the issue...I'm using a TenTec Omni 6, and interfacing it to the computer (and Logic) via a USB/RS-232 converter. There's a second port on the radio to use Icom CI-V control, but you can't use both ports at the same time as best I can tell, so I can't see a way to get the decoder to interface to the radio and still have the radio interfaced to Logic. If I could address the band decoder with USB/RS-232 via Logic, that would fix the issue. Of course this assumes that Logic would pass that band data in that manner via one of the setup menu interface selections.
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:24:06 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Looking at the picture & schematic, it appears to have a DB9 that goes to the computer and one that goes to the rig. Can you go computer => band decoder => level converter => rig.

Anyway, please describe what plugs into what in more detail. I browsed the documentation and it is mostly how to build it. I don't see a block diagram or anything.

Thanks,

Dennis