logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Logging using Logic and TRX-Manager for radio control
WD4ASP
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2019 8:33:14 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I recently purchased TRX_Manager mainly to control my FT-736R and that works great. However, I also wanted to use it to control the radio in conjunction with Logic to log the contacts. I tried this during this year's ARRLDX contest using the ARRLDX contest screens. However, I found that while the contact was logged (using the tab key to fill in) the mode, frequency, band as well as the on time and Date did not get recorded correctly. It all appeared to be from the last contact. Trying to log from the main logging screen also exhibits this behavior. I saw this condition in some earlier posts but it was not clear what the solution was. I have used Logic for years, interfacing with my Ten-Tec Omni VI, without any problems and was expecting the interface with TRX-Manager to work the same way.

Logic version 9.1.22
TRX_Manager version 5.8.6

This is most likely operator error but in my defense, I did read the sections of both user guides regarding logging and watched the videos and thought I had it set up correctly.

Is/are there any configuration selections that I missed making?

I was planning on using this to help me with the Virginia QSO party in a couple of weeks and that has some special fields that need to be logged as well.

Thanks,

Fred

Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 3, 2019 9:13:01 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi Fred:

Basically, just disconnect the radio from LOGic, then get it working with TRX-Manager. Start TRX-Manager first. Run TRX-Manager in Administrator mode. Right-click on the TRX-Manager shortcut and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Run LOGic. Go to tools/setup/misc ham setup. Set the radio to use TRX-MANAGER as the driver instead of an actual radio. (I think this is the step you are missing. If this is set properly, it will either work or you will get an error about not being able to start TRX-Manager.

Let me know if any questions.

Tnx for using TRX-Manager & LOGic.

Dennis WN4AZY
WD4ASP
#3 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2019 9:09:27 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Dennis,

Thanks for the prompt response. Two things I found. First you were right about running TRX-Manager in Administrator mode. I somehow managed to miss that part when reading the instructions. The second was in the LoGic Help instructions for the TRX_MANAGER Interface.

"Now run LOGic, and select Tools/Setup/Misc ham setup from the menu bar. Select the Radio Interface page. Select FT-Manager-OLE for one of the rig selection fields. You must select Disable (none) for the COM port. Baud rate, etc are ignored. LOGic will then use OLE automation to communicate with TRX-Manager, which in turn will perform actual communications with the rig via a serial port. TRX-Manager must be running and its monitor window must be open for the interface to work."

I had read those instructions to mean Disable the TRX-Manager COM port. I found by Enabling that COM port, assuming the Disable box is what the instructions were talking about, everything worked as expected.

The one difference I did notice while I was testing was that LoGic, running by itself, will read the radio configuration after hitting the Tab key for a new contact. When interfacing with TRX-Manager, the radio configuration is the current one displayed by TRX-Manager. It does not read the latest one from the radio then. However, after the radio information it currently has is transferred to LoGic, it reads the radio interface and now it reflects it correctly. Would be nice if it read the radio configuration first before sending it to LoGic for the old school types who still like turning the knobs. I realize this is probably just a nit since the whole purpose of TRX-Manager is to control the radio configuration.

Thanks,

Fred (WD4ASP)