logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Icom 756ProII, IC-746Pro, Icom C-IV Interface, Windows.8.1
K8ZM
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:05:37 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
After a new PC and new install I have LOGic9 communicating successfully using the "legacy" drivers:

(1) For 756ProII - (Icom 775, 756, 7800 Rigs with Main/Sub instead of A/B Vfo's)(Legacy)
(2) For 746Pro - (Icom All except 735 and Omni 6) (Legacy)

However, neither supports split mode. Does anyone have a better write-up for the various drivers for the Icoms and what the differences are ?? The descriptions in LOGic leave a little to be desired as to what features they support. The ones I see to choose from are:

(3) Icom Plus - (For rigs that support computer control of split)(Legacy)
(4) Icom with VFO A/B and Filter Control
(5) Icom 756, 775, 7800 (and rigs that have Main/Sub VFO, no filter control)
(6) Icom rigs that have split control

I tried (5) for my 756ProII and it caused the legacy driver (2) for the 746Pro to not find the com port or to report that the com port was in use.
I tried (4) for the 746Pro and it couldn't find its own port.

I'm running Windows 8.1 machine (Lenovo) with a new SIIG 4-port PCIe CyberSerial card and an Icom C-IV Interface. I seem to remember on my old machine running LOGic 8 and Windows XP that I was using different drivers that supported split as well as a few other features.

The C-IV is on COM port 3, both the 756 and 746 are 9600, 2 stop bits.

Thanks,

Brad, N8GLS
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:04:58 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi Brad:

Either of those drivers should set split status. I think neither of those rigs are capable of reading split status.

Try to use the non-legacy drivers. They have more flexibility in sharing with CW keyers, other Icoms, etc, and better status reporting. The new drivers use newer .net technology. The old ones are there because they are there, and because some Prolific and other non-compatible USB=>RS232 work better (less poorly?) with one than the other. But if you have a good RS-232 port or FTDI-based USB=>RS232 adapter, use the new drivers.

Not sure about the SIIG. I know they have been around for a while and had a good reputation. You might check with them and make sure you have the latest drivers.

For your rigs, try 46 & 47 first. All of the Icom line has similar command protocol. It can be a matter of trial end error to find the right one to handle both split and VFO selection.

To simplify things, get one rig working at a time, especially if sharing the port and using the Icom CI/V bus addressing.

Quote:
I tried (4) for the 746Pro and it couldn't find its own port.

What do you mean by this exactly?

Quote:
I tried (5) for my 756ProII and it caused the legacy driver (2) for the 746Pro to not find the com port or to report that the com port was in use.

Sounding like serial port driver problems, OR the port is really in use. Use the new drivers, and then use Logic's Tools/Serial Port Status and see if something else in LOGic is using it. Make sure everything else is closed.

Let me know.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K8ZM
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2014 11:41:39 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Thanks Dennis,

Boy, been a few years since talking to you last. Hope all is well.

Okay, well, when I said "I tried (4) for the 746Pro and it couldn't find its own port" it just hung there and said port not found.

So, I've been trying various scenarios last night and tonight, and with the exception of the legacy drivers, it seems none will work. Funny, I tried to be somewhat methodical, started with no polling, if an issue then changed stop bits (2 seems to work for most but I did use 1 for one of them), once I would get one working for one rig, I would then toggle polling on, and either I immediately get a window "LOGic.exe has stopped working.....the usual "windows is going to shut it down and try to suggest a solution", or, it will work till I shut LOGic down, then the window pops up immediately after the mouse click to close, or if LOGic does close without an error, I get the same error window when I launch LOGic again. Its teasing me, just when you think it works.....bam.

Now, the error window is somewhat consistent depending on when it appears, usually at the exact instant it polls the port. So, guess that's a clue. I haven't been through every single driver but have tried 2 of them tonight with every combination I can think of.

The SIIG CyberSerial card is brand new, just got it Monday this week. The drivers are for Windows 8/8.1 and the latest. I've never had an issue with their Serial cards, although I suppose there's a first time for everything. Probably important to say I have only one port in use of the four, I wanted to get one thing working first. So, its Com 3, and I have LOGic looking at Com 3 for both the Icom rigs via the CI-V interface. Just noticed you mentioned the newer .net technology....I think its a Microsoft.net error window telling me its shutting LOGic down. Guess I should look at the event logs for the errors, there ought to be a mess of them....HI HI. A temp file clean-up is probably in order as well. Also my security software (ESET) I haven't tried to shut down. I'm running LOGic as administrator, so that shouldn't be an issue, come to think of it I think I have UAC turned off also.

I'll give more feedback tomorrow and try 46 and 47 individually and then in unison...as always thanks for the help !!

73, Brad N8GLS
K8ZM
#4 Posted : Monday, March 9, 2015 11:39:59 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Dennis,

Update.......after trying many combinations of Icom drivers, still only the legacy drivers work when having two Icom radios active in LOGic. The only combination from the "new" drivers I had luck with was using driver 48 for the Icom 756ProII and driver 51 for the Icom 746Pro. Both with 1 stop bit....but.....they never work from a cold launch of LOGic. If both rigs are powered on, but only one rig enabled (the other disabled), LOGic will launch, then, if I enable the second rig in the same session, all works fine until I exit and launch LOGic again which results in the "LOGic has stopped working and windows needs to shut down" error. If I launch LOGic with one radio powered on and enabled, the second rig powered off and enabled, LOGic still errors and has to shut down. If both rigs are powered off and enabled, LOGic will launch without errors, and after the port and rig "not found" windows go away I turn both rigs on and reset the rig and rotor interfaces, all is good, I can run all day with no errors and all the features of both drivers work just fine, well, until having to re-launch LOGic again.

Not sure how many LOGic users are using two Icom radios with a single CI-V interface, but would like to know how they are set-up.

I have LOGic installed under Programs x86 and am not running in compatibility mode. I also have slow LOGic boot and shutdown times, not minutes but 30-40 sec for sure. Could this and the driver issue be related ??

Thanks,
Brad, N8GLS
WN4AZY
#5 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2015 5:06:38 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Brad:

Doing good thanks. Hope you are too.

Ok, do I understand correctly that if the radios are run by themselves, the legacy drivers work fine.

Does the legacy drivers with both rigs running? If that works, then that is what I would do.

I have run two rigs on the same bus before, and I have talked to other users who do it. It isn't the ideal way to run. CI/V transceive usually needs to be off, because otherwise tuning one radio causes the other to QSY. And since CI/V transceiver is off, you need to turn polling on. But it does work. It was a bit dicey to set up in LOGic 8. In LOGic 9 with the new drivers, it is easy.

One or the other of legacy/new not working, especially when getting Windows-level errors are almost always driver issues.

Do the new drivers do not work period, at least without some fiddling around, correct? Having to start with the radios off, opening the port, then turning the radio on in order to avoid Windows errors is also indicative of a driver problem. Whether or not the radios are on or off should not cause Windows errors. LOGic is going to complain of course, and if something were wrong with Logic's coding, you could get a visual FoxPro error, but that's not what's happening.

If you want I can send you one of these to try. You can either send it back or pay me.
http://www.hosenose.com/...mp;PrimaryCatID=91&

We also have a dual-port now. I Can send that if you want to try it.

Dennis WN4AZY
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2015 5:07:13 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Brad:

Doing good thanks. Hope you are too.

Ok, do I understand correctly that if the radios are run by themselves, the legacy drivers work fine.

Does the legacy drivers with both rigs running? If that works, then that is what I would do.

I have run two rigs on the same bus before, and I have talked to other users who do it. It isn't the ideal way to run. CI/V transceive usually needs to be off, because otherwise tuning one radio causes the other to QSY. And since CI/V transceiver is off, you need to turn polling on. But it does work. It was a bit dicey to set up in LOGic 8. In LOGic 9 with the new drivers, it is easy.

One or the other of legacy/new not working, especially when getting Windows-level errors are almost always driver issues.

Do the new drivers do not work period, at least without some fiddling around, correct? Having to start with the radios off, opening the port, then turning the radio on in order to avoid Windows errors is also indicative of a driver problem. Whether or not the radios are on or off should not cause Windows errors. LOGic is going to complain of course, and if something were wrong with Logic's coding, you could get a visual FoxPro error, but that's not what's happening.

If you want I can send you one of these to try. You can either send it back or pay me.

We also have a dual-port now. I Can send that if you want to try it.

Dennis WN4AZY
K8ZM
#7 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2015 10:04:38 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the reply.

The legacy drivers work fine with both rigs enabled, powered on, no issues. LOGic launches, shuts down, re-launches with no errors.

If only one rig is enabled, powered on, using a "new" driver and the other rig disabled, all is good. LOGic launches without issues, no driver issues.

If two rigs are enabled, powered on, both using "new" drivers, windows pops-up the "LOGic is not responding and needs to shut down" error message.

If two rigs are disabled, both using "new" drivers, the "new" drivers work if I launch LOGic with BOTH rigs off, then after LOGic launches turn both on and reset the interface(s)from within LOGic. It will run all day until I re-launch.

K8ZM
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2015 7:16:01 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Sorry.....didn't finish that last reply....

I don't get any FoxPro errors at all. Don't want those, hihi.

So, are you saying that most multi-Icom users are not using the C-IV interface ?? I have the C-IV plugged into Com 3, both rigs are set to Com 3, both have the correct address for each rig. Since my primary rig is the 756ProII, I set that rig with C-IV Transceive on and no polling. The 746Pro has C-IV Transceive off and I don't poll it at all. I have another C-IV Interface, don't think I tried one to each rig and then a different com port for each. Don't know how that would work, but I can certainly try it.

If you want to send me the USB cable I'll try that and send it right back if it doesn't make a difference. I never had issues with the SIIG boards before, but this one is new and one never knows these days. If you send one please send the dual port cable. If you need my credit card number before you send it just let me know and I'll call in with it, should be same as what I bought LOGic v9 for, if you still have it.

Thanks again....
K8ZM
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2015 3:32:55 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

More comments.....

So been fooling around again with the driver selection and have additional feedback;

The "new" driver 48 (756ProII) that I reported did work only when the rigs were powered off prior to launching logic isn't actually correct.
The rig window works, well, it "looks" like it does as it reads the rig frequency fine, so when I spin the knob its tracking with the rigs main vfo. I can change modes, filters, split, dual watch all from logic just fine, but not all those work when changing from the radio, like I cant change the rigs freq from logic, also the rig window radio buttons for split, dual watch and vfo don't depress when changing those from the rig, the filters and the modes do depress when changing from the rig, I don't remember if they ever did actually, maybe they don't work that way. Next I noticed that the spot log features of setting the rigs frequency doesn't work, the mode will change, not the frequency. So I guess the new driver doesn't work. I also tried this afternoon driver 46, and that acted the same way. All these attempts were with only one rig enabled, the other rig was disabled in logic. This time (2) stop bits worked, go figure. Maybe it is the SIIG, too many weird things happening.

I reverted back to the legacy 20 driver, I can change frequency, mode, no problem either from logic or from the rig. The spot log set rig works. So really seems to be the only one that does work. But, logics radio buttons for VFO A and B don't change (depress) in logic when I change from the rig, nor do the split or dual watch radio buttons. From logic they work fine and change the rig. If in logic I switch from VFO A to B, the freq changes in the rig window display but the rig doesn't make that VFO the active one, its still sitting on VFO A.

So the "working" set-up is now configured as;

SIIG (4) port RS-232 Serial Card, set-up as Com 3 thru Com 6.
Icom CI-V on COM 3
Rig (1) IC-756ProII, Driver #20, 9600-2, Com 3, CI-V Transceive ON, No Polling
Rig (2) IC-746Pro, Driver #24, 9600-2, Com 3, CI-V Transceive OFF, No Polling
Rotor (1) Hygain DCU-3 on Com 4, Hygain DCU1 Driver, 4800-1

Both rigs powered on prior to launching logic, both are enabled in logic, logic loads, both rig windows display, work, and I can shut down and re-launch without any complaints from windows. I did get one error window when changing rig 1's freq in logic, spinning my mouse wheel pretty fast (it has a switch allowing it to freely spin) then changing the vfo back n forth from a to b, then a couple other switches of mode, logic complained with a pop-up saying Retry Count passed limit of 20. I guess it disables both rig control windows as the freq display went to 0.0000 on both and all control was non-functioning.

Not sure this is providing any help. I would like to know of any others running with a CI-V and multiple Icom rigs just to compare set-ups.

Thanks for being an "ear".....73
K8ZM
#10 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2015 9:43:25 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Dennis,

If I replace my C-IV Interface with (2) of the LCU3-I-USB level converters (in effect ridding myself of the Icom bus), will they work with BOTH rigs set to C-IV Transceive ON and NOT have any rig-to-rig control issues, i.e, I don't want one rig to control the other as a result of C-IV Transceive being turned on in each rig.

Thanks,

Brad, N8GLS

WN4AZY
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2015 9:39:18 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Brad:

So sorry for letting this fall thru the cracks. I am jut now seeing your posts of 20+ days ago. Thanks for bumping it.

Quote:

If I replace my C-IV Interface with (2) of the LCU3-I-USB level converters (in effect ridding myself of the Icom bus), will they work with BOTH rigs set to C-IV Transceive ON and NOT have any rig-to-rig control issues, i.e, I don't want one rig to control the other as a result of C-IV Transceive being turned on in each rig.

That is correct.

Do you still want me to send the USB adapter? Perhaps the dual-port one? Let me know, today if possible.
http://www.hosenose.com/...id.aspx?primarycatid=91

Tnx & 73,

WN4AZY
K8ZM
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2015 9:47:37 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Dennis,

No problem on the response!! My issues aren't show stoppers by any stretch.

On the adapter, yes please send the dual one. If you want my card info I can call that in tomorrow.

Best Regards,

Brad, N8GLS
WN4AZY
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2015 8:32:30 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

No problem -- I'll just go ahead and send it. Make sure it works, then will worry about the $$$$.

Tnx/73,

DH
WN4AZY
#14 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 10:59:35 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

You should receive that any day now. Just plug it in and go do something else while it downloads the drivers. It takes a while.
K8ZM
#15 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 9:23:15 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Dennis,

Wow, got it today. Just got home from the office and will try it tonight. Tried to be as "ginger" as possible opening the package.

Hey, thanks so much for the support !! For me, its more than just about the software !!

I'll report back later if I don't fall asleep....hihi !!

Best Regards,

Brad, N8GLS
K8ZM
#16 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 11:32:52 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Got the new cable installed. Disabled second rig (IC-746Pro). Tried newer IC-756ProII drivers 41, 46, 47, and finally 58. Sadly none worked. Many things didn't function during this process, either the rig control window wasn't functioning (not changing freq, mode, filters), or trying to set the rig from the spot log ended up doing all kinds of unexpected things to the rig, changing to split, engaging dual watch but not changing the freq on the rig. Sometimes nothing worked, ehhboy.

Did a re-boot, tried all again, all failed, then reverted back to the legacy driver 20.

Need to sleep on this.....hi hi. Will fiddle more tomorrow...

73, de Brad

K8ZM
#17 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2015 10:29:14 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Dennis,

Sorry, had health issue that kept me away from this most of the weekend.

Anyways, after looking at the mess of comm hardware I had going on here I decided to try and clean it all up.
I got down to only two legacy RS232 devices, the Icom CI-V interface and the ancient RIGblaster plus. Those two devices are now connected via your FTDI 2-port USB-Serial adapter cable (which I intend on paying for). I completely uninstalled the SIIG 4-port RS232 Super Serial card. The Hygain DCU-3 rotor controller had a built-in FTDI based adapter so I switched it from its RS232 mode to USB and ran a new cable. The only other RS232 radio I had was the Kenwood TM-D700. This 2m/70cm unit has the built-in TNC which was RS232 but I had purchased RT Systems programming software and cable (FTDI based as well) so that switch was easy, and works flawlessly.

So now all "comm" devices are USB based and all FTDI chipset. I pretty much deleted all the comp ports, USB controllers, etc., and started from scratch. All is back with comm ports 3 thru 6 functioning for all radios and accessories. I think I want to try one of the LCU3-I-USB adapters in hopes of getting rid of the CT-17. Eventually I will need two of these as I want the two rigs to function independent of each other with BOTH rigs having CI-V Transceive enabled but WITHOUT them controlling each other. The CT-17 wont do that so I hope the LCU3-I-USB does, if not I'll have to come up with another solution.

oh, geeze almost forgot the original issue....I did try several of the newer drivers, but none worked, I'll create a cross-listing of what did and didn't function along with the errors I got, some windows complaining, some FoxPro errors. With the legacy drivers, both Icom rigs, the RIGblaster (PTT and Keying), Kenwood TM-D700 TNC, and Hygain Rotor controller all function without errors. Eventually I'll figure out why the newer drivers wont work for me, I have yet to look at the event log to see what errors I may have going on. I'll let ya know more.

I will call tomorrow with my CC number as I don't want to forget about the cable you already sent.

73, de Brad, N8GLS

WN4AZY
#18 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 10:17:00 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

No problem on the dual USB=>RS232 interface or the condition of the packaging. Send it back if you don't want it.

BTW I was installing one of those myself and had to install the drivers from the CD per the instructions. The single ones download the drivers from the web.

Quote:
Eventually I will need two of these as I want the two rigs to function independent of each other with BOTH rigs having CI-V Transceive enabled but WITHOUT them controlling each other. The CT-17 wont do that so I hope the LCU3-I-USB does, if not I'll have to come up with another solution.

You could use two CT-17's, 2 LCU-3-I-USB's, or one of each. They are electrically equivalent. There is nothing magical about LCU3-I-USB that would allow it to control two rigs better than the CT-17. If you put two rigs on the same LCU-3-I-USB, it would do the same thing.

Strange those new drivers don't work.

Call me and I can log in and take a look.

Hope you're feeling better.

DH
K8ZM
#19 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 8:40:20 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Dennis,

Thanks !!

The 2-port cable installed fine for me, it auto downloaded the drivers, took a couple minutes is all.

I have another CT-17 so will try one per rig and see what happens. I seem to remember doing that a couple years ago and they both still tracked each other, I could be wrong, regardless will certainly try that since I already have an extra.

Feeling much better, so much that I'm in Connecticut this weekend at the Northeast VHF/UHF/Microwave Conference. Be back Sunday. I'm off Monday so will give you a call during the day and you can look to see whats going on, maybe you'll see something. It weird, I did get a detailed description of whats going on so will send that to you Sunday when I'm back. Also when I call I can pay for the cable as well.

Thanks much !!

73, de Brad, N8GLS
K8ZM
#20 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 8:30:33 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Dennis,

Ok, after getting back form the VHF/UHF/Microwave Conference yesterday I got the 2nd CT-17 connected. Using the legacy "no bus" drivers both rigs are fully functioning thru LOGic. The legacy drivers that worked are 19 (IC-756ProII) and 25 (IC746Pro). CI-V Transceive enabled on both radios without any interaction, no polling, woooohooo ! So just as you said, not sure why I didn't think that worked for me before, age I guess.

I'll call later today....

Brad, N8GLS