logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

LOTW 1st attempt after pc crash and totally new PC
K8ZM
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 6, 2014 2:31:30 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Greetings to all

I finally recovered from many months of pain from a crashed XP pc. Luckily I had a back-up copy of my old LOGic 8 directory and with a new Windows 8.1 machine I purchased LOGic 9 and while I had many issues with trying to copy over the old .ini files and the logforms and list of valid values I successfully got it installed with only a few having to be manually re-done. Having been inactive for almost a year it was nice to see Hosenose on the monitor again!! I am about to log into LOTW and get some updates but I question if there are other files I need to attempt to recover from the old PC before I try this. I have the latest version of TQSL and successfully renewed just a short time ago (from the new PC). My last update to LOTW was probably a year ago, do I need to find the old tqsl file or adif export file from LOGic or some other file before I try this??

Thanks,

Brad, N8GLS
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 6, 2014 5:19:01 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day,

Copying files between different versions is a dangerous thing to be doing - with any software, not just LOGic. The files may have changed in format, or design, and using the "old" files can result in unpredictable events with the new software.

Most software packages have a process to be followed when upgrading from one version to the next - usually detailing exactly what needs to be done, to ensure correct operation.

Good luck. I hope you have been successful. Unfortunately, you may never know the real cause of any problems you experience.

On behalf of a fellow amateur, I have just done the work to recover from a failed PC. Nothing was recoverable.

Assuming you have restored your LOG to LOGic 9, all you need do is export new ADIF files for LOTW. I encourage you to run the LOTW process manually, using TQSL manually, until you understand the process. When you understand what needs to be done, you can use LOGic to run all the steps for you. You will be far better equipped to deal with issues that arise.

Find the last QSO you exported to LoTW. Use the log filter to create a filter - probably one based on date and time - to select all the QSOs you need to send to LOTW, and use the filter when you EXPORT to an ADIF file.

Manually sign the file with TQSL, and send it to the ARRL.

Then use the same filter with Tools, Advanced database commands, mass change, to mark all the QSOs "sent to LOTW".

Once you get "in sync" with your ARRL QSOs, you can use the automated LOGic process.
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
K8ZM
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:09:55 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Peter,

Yes, dangerous, well, this is only LOGic were talking about and actually the only files attempted were logforms, lists of valid values, the associated .ini files, the log file and several reports (Dennis has a couple files on the forum for reference that explains all the important files if you need a better understanding). Ultimately, LOGic didn't like the list of valid values, so I reverted back to a clean and new install and just imported the old logfile from a back-up I had. I kept a couple reports and re-created all the rest from scratch. As a LOGic user for many years it was a bit of a pain but it is what it is.

As for being "unfortunate" in that I may never know the real cause of any future problems, well, I sincerely doubt the few report files from LOGic that ultimately were "copied" will be the cause of anything except to LOGic maybe. Doing a windows update is a thousand times more "unfortunate" than this....you have no idea what your going to see, or when...

My only question was if LOGic needed a tqsl or some other file for LOTW status, but, it doesn't. Since The logfile imported without errors into LOGic, after a couple validations between LOGic and LOTW I ran the automated QSO export and QSL import through LOGic and all is in-sync. Easy for sure. 73 de, Brad N8GLS