logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Can't Run Reports
W5PF
#1 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 2:40:30 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I am running LOGic9 on a Win7 64 bit machine.

I am unable to run several reports such as Cards Needed Landscape and AWARDS. When I try to run the report I get an error message: RunPRG: An error has occurred in
Functions/Procedure: FRMAWARDS_REPORT.FINISH
Error#11: Message Function Argument value, type, or count is invalid.

I have done a clean and index. That didn't help so I reinstalled LOGic 9 and still get the same error message.

I also have LOGic8 running on the same machine and it runs the reports fine.

How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Paul W5PF
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 2:45:04 AM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day Paul,

You might try the following.

Award reports depend on data in the Lists table as well as your log. There are fields in the lists table for every value for the various Award lists in the table. The field values are generated from your QSOs in your log when you run - Awards, Update Awards Progress info.

Try running Awards, Update Awards Progress info, the will generate new data and new indexes. Then try the reports again.

You should endeavour to correct any "rejects" reported in the process.

Also, check in the root directory of C: to see that progress.xls and progress.txt are actually being created. These files will remain in C:\ even after you exit LOGic. If these files are not being created you may have a "permissions problem".

I hope the above helps.

Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
1 user thanked vk4iu for this useful post.
W5PF on 8/10/2014(UTC)
WN4AZY
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 7:59:47 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi--

I had no problem with that report here.

Try what Peter recommends, and if that doesn't work, make sure you have the latest update to LOGic 9, then use the report which I have attached to this post. Unzip and put in the REPORT folder inside the LOGic install folder.

Rejects should not cause any problems.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4aZY
File Attachment(s):
CARDS NEEDED LANDSCAPE.zip (5kb) downloaded 25 time(s).
W5PF
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 4:22:23 PM(UTC)

Thank you Peter and Dennis.

I am running version 9.0.57. I renamed the existing Cards needed landscape files and put the ones you sent in the REPORT file. Same results.

I cannot locate the progress.xls or progress.txt files anywhere.

Paul W5PF
File Attachment(s):
Capture.PNG (120kb) downloaded 21 time(s).
WN4AZY
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 6:53:40 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

progress.xls and progress.txt is not created by CARDS NEEDED LANDSCAPE. If that's what you are after, run the AWARDS report, and then look in c:\

.57 is probably OK in this regard, but please get .66 so we are on the same page so-to-speak. Try that. If you get the same error with CARDS NEEDED LANDSCAPE, I will research it further.

Tnx & 73,

DH
W5PF
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 8:41:13 PM(UTC)

Thanks Dennis, I went to the bottom of the LOGIC 9 Update page and didn't realize there were more pages. Now I have 9.0.66 and get the same error. I ran the Cards Needed Landscape report for IOTA on Aug 8 with no problem. When I tried to run it yesterday I got the error. I have not added or changed any software but Microsoft made a "Critical update" on Aug 10th. They must have changed a setting somewhere. I am running Logic "As administrator".

Paul W5PF
IK0CHU
#7 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 5:23:11 AM(UTC)
RedBaron

Man

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Hi Paul,
Some reports have problems if you have activated the spotlog although sometimes they work regularly.
Try turning off the SpotLog window and run again all reports as Awards and Card needed landscape.
All work perfectly and you will not have any warning of error in the report.

For the moment I use this "tactic" that works.
73's de IKØCHU Mauro

IKØCHU Mauro
2 users thanked IK0CHU for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 8/11/2014(UTC), W5PF on 8/11/2014(UTC)
WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 8:30:43 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

I tried mine with IOTA thinking it might be a problem related to user-defined fields, and no problems.

Mauro makes a good point -- close anything generating spots to be safe. However, this does not seem to be the sort of error caused by this. I will look at the code and see if I see anything that might be a clue.

Tnx/73,

DH
W5PF
#9 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 8:48:56 PM(UTC)

Thanks Mauro and Dennis.

While running another program this evening I discovered that my default printer had been changed. I'm not sure what changed it. I put it back to the proper one and I can now print the reports. Is there a way to choose the printer you want to use in LOGIC?

Thanks for your help folks, looks like it was not a LOGIC problem but I could not tell from the error message what program had generated it.

Paul W5PF
vk4iu
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 3:36:27 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day Paul,

I know how you are feeling Paul. Been there, done that.

This topic will show you what to do.

Peter VK4IU
1 user thanked vk4iu for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 8/15/2014(UTC)
W5PF
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 5:00:31 PM(UTC)

G'Day Peter! Thanks for the information, I had never noticed that box before.

Unfortunately, I tried to run the Awards report today and the RunPRG error is back. I have tried different ways of running the Awards report, that is going straight the print window by choosing "Finish" or stepping through the options like band and mode or print unworked entities, but no success. Other reports such as the cards or labels reports work.

I have checked and the windows default printer is correct so that apparently was not the problem.

I don't know what to try next.

Thanks again for the help,

Paul W5PF

vk4iu
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 5:32:41 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

...have you run Awards, Update Awards Progress info?

Have you dealt with all the exceptions reported in that process?

Have you closed the SpotLog and Telnet when you run the reports?

When errors occur, run CLEAN. This is tedious I know, but getting the Foxpro databases and indexes in LOGic back to a "known state" is important. It helps keep the errors from compounding, and makes it easier to track down the root cause.

We each have a log, and other data - each is a unique data set with complex interrelationships. It is wise to separate "operating" from "reporting". Trying to run reports while operating, or waiting for the DX, can create "complications" within the relationships within our unique set of data. Complications best avoided.

Peter VK4IU
W5PF
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:06:08 PM(UTC)

I have run the update awards progress. There are about 100 exceptions having to do with counties. I have not dealt with them, I don't collect counties and I am not sure how these qsos ever had county information entered.

I have been running this report for years and have never closed the telnet of spot log windows. However I tried it just now and the report ran and printed. Then I opened the telnet and spot windows and the report still ran and printed.

It seems like every time I try to do something the program reacts differently. It is frustrating in that I have used LOGIC for over 20 years and have had very few problems, all of which were solved in a logical manner. Perhaps you are correct, the program has become so complex that it is best to do one thing at a time.

In any event, thank you for your help and suggestions. At least now I can get the report to run even if I don't understand what is causing the errors.

Paul W5PF
vk4iu
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 9:03:51 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day Paul,

Again, I sympathise with you Paul. Keep in mind that, copies of LOGic are probably measured in thousands. It is a big ask for anyone to be able to find all the "issues" that might arise in such a small population of users. It is up to us to provide the constructive feedback to improve the product. Those using LOGic to an advanced level are probably measured in hundreds if we are lucky.

This forum is an ideal place to share experience with LOGic.

LOGic has improved a lot over the years. But the problem is not as simple as "LOGic is getting too complex".

Lots of things change. New versions of Windows, continuous updates to Windows, updates to the Microsoft .Net run time systems. The list goes on and on.

Your PC itself changes over time - simply by using it - and of course by adding/updating various other software components as well. Many things might seem totally unrelated to LOGic, but in reality, each has its affect.

In fact, the only thing that has NOT been changing is the Microsoft Visual Foxpro run time library system used by LOGic. Microsoft stopped development at Ver 9, many years ago. That said, Visual Foxpro is still in production in thousands of commercial systems world wide.

The more one reads the forum, the more one realises that many things external to LOGic often result in problems for LOGic, but have nothing to do with the LOGic software itself.

Please let the forum know if you again experience the problems.

Peter VK4IU
WN4AZY
#15 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2014 7:17:03 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

It is most likely the spots coming in while running the report that is causing it then. It doesn't happen every time -- in fact usually doesn't happen -- in my experience. Makes it frustrating for me to fix it too hihi.

DH
1 user thanked WN4AZY for this useful post.
W5PF on 8/15/2014(UTC)
WN4AZY
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:15:06 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

I think I fixed it! Update coming soon.

DH