logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Callbook Window Won't Access Full QRZ Pages?
N1HEL
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2014 4:09:01 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi Dennis--

Another idea for the next update (or I may just be not using the s/w correctly!)...

Oftentimes, when QRZ page of the stn I am working pops up in the window, I cannot access the whole contact's QRZ page. Even with LOGic in full screen mode and the Callbooks window made as large as I can get it, the scroll bar seems to go off the page to the bottom, and I can't make the entry scroll. This only happens with say 50% of the QRZ pages I get, which suggests it's something about the way the pages themselves are constructed, but I was wondering if u cud do anything about this problem...

As I sed before, the popped-up info is a great boon to me while I'm ragchewing with another station, and I'd love to see more of it on my scrn.

-Paul, N1HEL
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2014 6:34:04 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Hi Paul,

There are no tricks to using this feature. I'm sure you are using it correctly. One can turn OFF the display of web pages, but, clearly, that would not help.

Yes, those QRZ pages often give you nice details while in a QSO. There have been many questions about the pages since the feature was created years ago. Dennis is on record, declining requests to suppress advertisements in these pages - one of the main culprits for slow/non completion of the page. Flash images and videos being a particular problem.

For Dennis to "filter" the page to ensure it all displays, he would need to know what to filter, and how.

QRZ themselves do not do any checking to see that the page constructed for accounts on QRZ is in fact "valid" or "correct HTML" and thus, relatively easy to filter. I too have been frustrated by pages that never complete, images that never appear, complex videos that stall etc etc.

In actual fact Dennis probably does not do any processing of the page at all, all the work is done by a Microsoft Visual Foxpro library tool for displaying web pages. Dennis's LOGic code just says "please display this URL, there, in that dialogue box field". The tool is not a full browser, and is probably several years out of date with respect to the "HTML liberties" taken when amateurs construct web pages.

The most Dennis can do, and has done, is "time out" the page - but how long should one wait? Slow PCs, slow Internet links, slow web sites, all add to the complexity of constructive effort.

A possible solution, for those with multiple, or very large displays, is to "send the URL" external to LOGic to the default web browser on your PC - the full web browser is far better equipped to handle errors on the page displayed. But that technique has its own set of problems - no link back to LOGic, loss of focus, which browser, display space etc etc.

I doubt Dennis can do anything more than he has already done.

Peter VK4IU

Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
WN4AZY
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:15:18 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Actually, the browser control does incorporate whatever version of IE that is installed on the machine. If it wasn't for the login requirement we could simply get the raw HTML without using a browser.

I will add the option to simply open the QRZ.COM page in a browser outside LOGic like TRX-Manager and everyone else does rather than try to scrape the data. But the QRZ subscription or hamqth.com is the way to go.

DH