logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
QRZ Look up Locks up Logic9
n5zc
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:15:34 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Recently Logic9 would lock up on me after entering a qso. I disabled qrz.com (I do not have a subscription) and the problem went away.

Has QRZ.com made a change? Anyone else noticing this?

Thanks

Rich - N5ZC
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:21:13 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Hi Rich,

That sounds just like what happens here when my internet "stalls" or is very slow - and Logic is simply waiting for something to timeout. I'm am in a rural location and "slow Internet" happens often.

Are you disabling QRZ.COM, the public access, or the QRZ Subscription access? You say you don't have a subscription.

Did Logic ask for a userid and password? That's the first thing that happens if Logic attempts a lookup to QRZ Subscription. If there was no request, it was not looking for QRZ Subscription.

Otherwise, disabling QRZ Subscription is just a coincidence. Disabling QRZ.COM, the public access, could do what you describe - if you Internet was slow, or QRZ.COM was slow, or dead. Logic may have been looking for QRZ, to extract data from the public web page.

Do you have "automatic callbook lookup" enabled? Unless you have a current callbook of some sort make sure it is disabled. Old data in your new QSOs is not good. The ownership of a call changes over time.

Disable QRZ Subscription/.COM, as you have done, or simply change the order to put call books you DO NOT HAVE, or are too old, at the end of the list? That will make lookups that do occur faster.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
1 user thanked vk4iu for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 11/5/2013(UTC)
WN4AZY
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:57:38 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
There is some problem with the javascript on qrz.com. Sometimes, if I wait long enough, I get a SCRIPT TIMEOUT ERROR. On the other hand, I ran a batch of 25 or so and no problems.

Anyway, QRZ.COM is not made to be accessed programmatically. There is no way to disable JavaScript from the web browser control without disabling it for all Internet Explorer options. I am working on just downloading the raw HTML, but that is easier said than done because of maintaining your login status.

The solution is to use hamqth.com. It is XML (like QRZ Subscription), and is free. It seems to have all the DX. You can always put QRZ.COM after it in the callbook setup so it will be called if per chance hamqth.com doesn't have the callsign you are querying.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
n5zc
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 7:08:51 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the ideas guys.

My recent problem must be java related. I know I updated java not too long ago.

I tried hamqth and it seems to work well. I wonder how often it updates as it's still showing my old qth as I moved just over 2 years ago.

Rich - N5ZC
WN4AZY
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 8:53:31 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Rich--

The problem is not on your end or your Java update. Java and JavaScript are two different things. The problem is solely with qrz.com.

The FCC data being old, that's disturbing. I sent them a note.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY

k0dan
#6 Posted : Friday, November 15, 2013 12:14:18 PM(UTC)

Interface with QRZ is broke again.
Running WIN7, LOGIC 8.0.104.
Everything in the Callbooks/Setup is disabled except for QRZ.

Around a week ago entering a new call in the log would cause QRZ to throw up 5 errors:
-OLE IDispatch code 0 from msxml3.dll: Access is denied.
-Alias 'QRZTMP' is not found.
-Alias not found.
-Variable 'ERROR' is not found.

After Ignoring the 5 errors, LOGIC will continue, but no info is ever pulled up in the Callbook window.

Thinking this was another of QRZ.COM's tricks, I sent them the $30 and subscribed to their service, then disabled QRZ and enabled QRZ Subscription.

Same problem. Callbook window is effectively dead.

Can someone help me fix this? Very annoying, whatever the cause, and I'm less than thrilled with the value I'm getting out of my $30 QRZ subscription?!?

Tnx es 73,
Dan
K0DAN
W7OO
#7 Posted : Friday, November 15, 2013 2:19:25 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi All,

I just want to add that I do have a subscription to QRZ and it is working just fine for me. I have it as the number one place to look when looking up a call. I do have very fast internet.

Bill
W7OO
k0dan
#8 Posted : Friday, November 15, 2013 5:50:36 PM(UTC)

Perhaps I posted in the wrong folder (LOGIC 9 + QRZ), as I am using LOGIC 8, but I think they are very much the same.

Since I've been using LOGIC 8, the QRZ Callbook function has generally worked great. Then QRZ would change something and round & round we go.

Has QRZ changed something again recently? Is there something "obsolete" about LOGIC 8 which limits the ability of the two databases to work together?

I really have no need for any of the features that LOGIC 9 added, and thus would prefer not to have to upgrade.

Help?

dan
k0dan
vk4iu
#9 Posted : Friday, November 15, 2013 7:50:31 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day Dan,

Yep - happens too often for the QRZ.COM web based call book to be useful.

QRZ comes in two forms - one based on "web pages" and HTML and "who knows what" other stuff, and one based on a "subscription" that uses XML formatted data using a simple reliable Internet protocol.

Both work over the Internet, but only the "subscription" based service is "reliable".

What do we mean by "reliable"? That the process will remain the same - always.

The web page based process is subject to change more often than you might think. QRZ, or the company providing their hosting, or the company providing the web server, or the company providing their processing software, or the people updating the actual QRZ pages, may change the software which results in subtle changes to the web process. These unannounced changes - whatever they might be - cause problems for Logic when using the web-based process - problems totally unrelated to Logic.

The same can be said for the browser software on your PC that Logic uses as an intermediary to retrieve data from the "web based" QRZ. Changes in it can affect the process.

Your Internet connection speed is also a factor in this whole process. Data travelling on the Internet has a specific "time to live". If your Internet connection is too slow, for whatever reason, data dies, never to be seen by Logic, which "stalls" waiting for the data that will never arrive.

Clearly QRZ wants to sell subscriptions - so the XML subscription interface is simple, and rarely changes, if ever.

The databases at each end do not come into play at all - it is the "internet protocol" part that is the problem.

You are fine with Logic 8 - your only problem is that updates are no longer being supplied. Logic9 is now several years old, and the only version for which updates are now created.

Your best course of action, in decreasing order or merit, is ...

Disable QRZ.COM
Use a local CD/DVD call book
Use the free subscription to HamQTH - may not be available in Logic8.
Use the QRZ XML subscription
Update to Logic9 and use the QRZ or HamQTH subscription services

I hope I have helped in some way.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
k0dan
#10 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2013 1:40:23 PM(UTC)

Peter:

Thanks for your reply.

Well...up to a few weeks ago, LOGIC8 + QRZ (non subscription) were working fine together and met your definition of "reliable". Then recently the Callbook window started puking errors.

I bought the QRZ subscription, changed the Callbook setup window, and no change, still the same errors.

As to internet connection, I have an excellent & fast cable connection (typically 25mS latency, 20+ MBPS downloads, 5+ MBPS uploads), and have had no other issues with HTML and POP servers, Telnet, etc. The hamshack PC is one of approx 4 ethernet PC's plus an equal number of wireless devices in a home LAN which uses a GB router, several GB switches, and two GB WAP's.

I understand LOGIC uses Internet Explorer as its web-based gateway...I do not care for it (I use Firefox), but IE x64 is on my PC (WIN7 Ultimate). I never bother with it, but I guess I should confirm that it is updated & current release.

In an earlier post on this topic, I listed the 5 errors that pop up...a few are repeated, so maybe LOGIC is only seeing 2 or 3 unique errors...I assume these are FOXPRO errors? Do you know their meaning? I'd like to chase the specific problems(s), and not use a shotgun approach. I already spent the $$$ for the QRZ subscription, which has not helped so far, so I don't want to take out the credit card unless I know it's the only workable solution.

Your list of workarounds is appreciated. I will evaluate slowly (and economically)!

Dan
K0DAN

Originally Posted by: vk4iu Go to Quoted Post
G'Day Dan,

Yep - happens too often for the QRZ.COM web based call book to be useful.

QRZ comes in two forms - one based on "web pages" and HTML and "who knows what" other stuff, and one based on a "subscription" that uses XML formatted data using a simple reliable Internet protocol.

Both work over the Internet, but only the "subscription" based service is "reliable".

What do we mean by "reliable"? That the process will remain the same - always.

The web page based process is subject to change more often than you might think. QRZ, or the company providing their hosting, or the company providing the web server, or the company providing their processing software, or the people updating the actual QRZ pages, may change the software which results in subtle changes to the web process. These unannounced changes - whatever they might be - cause problems for Logic when using the web-based process - problems totally unrelated to Logic.

The same can be said for the browser software on your PC that Logic uses as an intermediary to retrieve data from the "web based" QRZ. Changes in it can affect the process.

Your Internet connection speed is also a factor in this whole process. Data travelling on the Internet has a specific "time to live". If your Internet connection is too slow, for whatever reason, data dies, never to be seen by Logic, which "stalls" waiting for the data that will never arrive.

Clearly QRZ wants to sell subscriptions - so the XML subscription interface is simple, and rarely changes, if ever.

The databases at each end do not come into play at all - it is the "internet protocol" part that is the problem.

You are fine with Logic 8 - your only problem is that updates are no longer being supplied. Logic9 is now several years old, and the only version for which updates are now created.

Your best course of action, in decreasing order or merit, is ...

Disable QRZ.COM
Use a local CD/DVD call book
Use the free subscription to HamQTH - may not be available in Logic8.
Use the QRZ XML subscription
Update to Logic9 and use the QRZ or HamQTH subscription services

I hope I have helped in some way.

Peter VK4IU

vk4iu
#11 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 5:42:53 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

... yep, that's what happens. You will be much better off with the subscription - even though it has not solved your problem - yet.

Your Internet connection is great. My link works perfectly with Logic - 90ms latency on a Mobile Broadband link to the cell 15 kms away using a Yagi on the roof. I have a rural QTH.

Have you disabled the QRZ.COM page, and moved it to the bottom of the list? Also disable and move everything you are not using for call book lookup to the bottom of the setup list.

Specifically, what are the errors ... post images of them using these tools. Use your albums, using this post, or attach them, and use them as in this post.

Are these still the errors ...

-Alias not found.

The "OLE error" is the important part. The rest from Logic is as a result of that first error. Clearly - there was a permission problem with access to the OLE file. Is this still the case now - post images?

So just before these errors started - what did you install? ... what changed on your PC?

Are you running Logic "As Administrator"? Is the account you are using "an administrator"?

There are so many parts of the puzzle using a PC, that these problems can be more than a little tricky to solve. My experience is that Logic is rarely the problem - just the item that trips over the problem - whatever it is.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
k0dan
#12 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 8:53:00 PM(UTC)

[size=9]PETER...
PLEASE FORGIVE THE CAPS BUT TO KEEP MESSAGE THREAD IN CONTEXT I AM REPLYING TO YOUR LATEST COMMENTS.

Have you disabled the QRZ.COM page, and moved it to the bottom of the list? Also disable and move everything you are not using for call book lookup to the bottom of the setup list.

YES, QRZ.COM & ALL OTHERS ARE DELETED, AS FOLLOWS:

Are these still the errors ...
-Alias not found.

THOSE ARE STILL THE ERRORS. GOT THEM BOTH WITH QRZ.COM AND LATER AFTER I SET UP CALLBOOK FOR SUBSCRIPTION. I SUSPECT THE REFERENCE TO "XML" IS THE KEY TO THIS PROBLEM.

So just before these errors started - what did you install? ... what changed on your PC?

NOTHING. THERE ARE NO RECENT CHANGES TO THE PC, THE OS, OR THE APPLICATIONS BEING USED. I AM CURRENT ON MICROSOFT UPDATES, BUT I ONLY DO THEM MANUALLY, NOTHING AUTOMATIC. PERHAPS AN MS UPDATE CHANGED SOMETHING?

Are you running Logic "As Administrator"?

YES.

Is the account you are using "an administrator"?

YES.

There are so many parts of the puzzle using a PC, that these problems can be more than a little tricky to solve. My experience is that Logic is rarely the problem - just the item that trips over the problem - whatever it is.

LOGIC 8 AND ALL MY APPS HAVE BEEN VERY COMPATIBLE FOR A LONG TIME. THIS QRZ ISSUE IS VERY NEW. FOR THE RECORD, I RUN:
WIN7 ULTIMATE
LOGIC8 (WITH TELET, LOGICMAP)
FLEX5000/PSDR2.5.3
DDUTIL 2.1.3.01 (A KIND OF COM PORT PORT SERVER)
SEVERAL OTHER UTILITIES WHICH I DO NOT BELIEVE TO BE RELATED.
I HAVE TRIED CLOSING DOWN ALL THE OTHER APPS AND RUNNING LOGIC BY ITSELF....NO CHANGE.

[color=blue]
THANKS FOR THE CONTINUED PSYCHOTHERAPY...
DA
K0DAN

vk4iu
#13 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 10:38:07 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day Dan,

Thanks for the detail.

Check the "permissions" on msxml3.dll

On my Windows 7 Professional 64Bit - the permissions are READ, and READ EXECUTE on both 32bit and 64bit files.
Peter VK4IU
1 user thanked vk4iu for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 11/18/2013(UTC)
vk4iu
#15 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 11:06:06 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

... I did a search for msxml3 errors.

IDispatch is the Foxpro code calling the Microsoft XML tools.

To test your QRZ subscription, follow the steps on this page at QRZ

Read the page. Start up a browser, and send the following from the address bar ...

http://xmldata.qrz.com/x...sword=abcdef;agent=q5.0

Substitute your userid and password. You will get back an XML page.

Then, from another tab, send ...

http://xmldata.qrz.com/x...sion>;callsign=K0DAN

Copy and paste the Session ID from the first XML page from QRZ.

You should see the data for your call sign.

Peter VK4IU
k0dan
#14 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 12:49:21 AM(UTC)

Hi Peter...

Thanks again.

I forgot to send the screen shots in my prior email, but assume they are redundant and not required based on the thread of our messages.

I searched my drive for "msxml3.dll" and found about a dozen instances of it. Searched properties of all of them, and they all have "READ" + "READ EXECUTE" permissions.

I get the feeling we are running out of ideas & options.

dan
k0dan

G'Day Dan,

Thanks for the detail.

Check the "permissions" on msxml3.dll

On my Windows 7 Professional 64Bit - the permissions are READ, and READ EXECUTE on both 32bit and 64bit files.

vk4iu
#17 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 1:22:05 AM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

... if you search the Internet for the OLE message, this is second on the list for me ...

From 2005 on this forum!

Did you test manually your XML access to QRZ?

One also finds references to "certificate" errors.

You mentioned you update Windows "manually"? You said you were "up to date"?

Are there any "updates" left in Windows Update? There have been many "certificate updates to Windows.
Peter VK4IU
k0dan
#16 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 1:22:05 AM(UTC)

I can't stand this web-based forum format. I sent your three detailed responses and all got lost during the shuffling back & forth between 4 or 5 open browser pages.

The long & short of it is the links you sent provide feedback with errors. When I substitute my ID/PWD, I get a session key, but LOGIC/QRZ do not prompt me for a key or other logon info, and this could be the crux of the issue.

I have tested the QRZ Subscriber test link, and when I enter my ID/PWD, it seems to work OK.

No lightbulbs going on for me....you?

Dan
K0DAN

... I did a search for msxml3 errors.

IDispatch is the Foxpro code calling the Microsoft XML tools.

To test your QRZ subscription, follow the steps on this page at QRZ

Read the page. Start up a browser, and send the following from the address bar ...

http://xmldata.qrz.com/x...sword=abcdef;agent=q5.0

Substitute your userid and password. You will get back an XML page.

Then, from another tab, send ...

http://xmldata.qrz.com/x...sion>;callsign=K0DAN

Copy and paste the Session ID from the first XML page from QRZ.

You should see the data for your call sign.

vk4iu
#18 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 1:49:08 AM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

... there is no prompt for the QRZ subscription pages. There is no user interaction.

You just send the first query - and get back an XML page with the "session id".

Then send another request that includes the session ID, your id/password, and call request.

From the second request you get the XML page with the call sign details you asked for.

I have never lost a page on this Logic form ... in fact despite several "miss-keys" on my part - pressing BACK or some ALT key - and a few database errors from the server software - I have always been able to retrieve my message input. Even the quick reply survived several times. From all of the systems I have used - and yes, I have lost lots of message input - the system Dennis is using is the best I have used. I am sure there are lots of others I have not used.

For me, the "email reflectors" are thing of the past, and best left there.

You must be misunderstanding some part of the process of reply or posting.

Peter VK4IU
vk4iu
#19 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 5:52:49 AM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

... while waiting for the family dinner to cook, I'm the cook for the family, I cranked up my Logic 8 copy. 8.0.105.

QRZ subscription works as expected.

I took a backup copy of the directory. Down graded to 8.0.104.

QRZ lookup still worked OK. I updated to 105 again, still works.

I installed a clean skin copy of Logic 8. Ver 8.0.29 I enabled the QRZ subscription, disabled QRZ web access, and moved the subscription to QRZ to the top. Looked up your K0DAN call manually using the subscription. Worked.

I configured the Main log form window for Automatic call book lookup. I added a record to the Log, entered your call - lookup was made and the log form completed correctly.

All that says to me, your problem is not with Logic - it is with Windows. Clearly something has changed - but what?

I would be searching the Internet for the "error message" with/without the "IDispatch" part, while thinking about "certificates".

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
WN4AZY
#20 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 11:26:18 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Dan--

This MSXML3.DLL error is a problem with Windows. LOGic 9 wouldn't work either.

Try installing this:
http://www.microsoft.com...ad/details.aspx?id=3988

Select msxml6.msi

Look in c:\windows\syswow64 for MSXML3.DLL

Another thing to try: make sure User Account Control is off. Type UAC in the Windows search thingy.

Please type this command in tools/advanced/database commands:
x=Createobject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")

Do you get the same error?
OLE IDispatch code 0 from msxml3.dll: Access is denied.

DH