logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
LOgic 9 crashes
w4gv
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:13:27 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

In the last few months I have been getting program crashes. I thought maybe it was due to having to many programs and windows open on the computer so I started cutting back and rebooting the computer every day but I'm still having problems. Just downloaded Ver 9.59 and don't know whether the problem will reoccur. The description of 9.59 changes didn't lead me to believe anything was done that my alleviate the problem.

The problem occurs, apparently randomly, and evidences itself by an hourglass cursor showing on the screen. Impossible to do manything with the program the - no data entry, no screen changes, nothing. It lasts forever. I exit the program by clicking the close "X" in the upper right corner of the screen and then closing the program at the prompt. Using Win 7 Ultimate w/ a 3 GHz quad core machine, 8 GB of RAM, 64 bit operating system. Upon opening the program, I have to Clean and then restart Logic.

Haven't been able to identify unique configuration or activity which causes the lockup. I tried reindexing and packing but that didn't help. I have over 16,000 QSOs logged.

Upon program startup, it may work for a day or for 10 minutes - no way to predict.
Help please

Walt W4GV
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:58:30 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Hi Walt:

Sorry for the problem.

I agree, with no error messages the problem is probably not errors in the LOGic code itself, but the environment in which it is running. I doubt .59 will make a difference.

Here is something to check. However, I doubt this is it either because in my experience it wouldn't run 10 minutes in this mode:

http://hosenose.com/Foru...r-runs-very-slowly.aspx

Try disabling any callbook interfaces and radio interfaces, especially if you are using USB=>RS232 adapters or any virtual COM ports with non-FTDI drivers. ALso turn off DX Summit or Telnet. If we can narrow down what feature or function in LOGic is causing the problem, I will have a better idea what to do.

When it does lock up, it would be interesting to look in the Windows task manager and see if it is using any CPU or not.

Another possibility is to use MSCONGIG to turn off any startup stuff that may be interfering. Lets try my other suggestions first tho.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
w4gv
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:30:03 PM(UTC)

Dennis,

Had the problem occur again a few minutes ago but let the system run locked up for a while while I checked into a traffic net.

An error message sprang up:

"Web Browser

Stop Running Script?

A script on this page is causing your web browser to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive."

I selected Yes to stop running the script and the program immediately came to life again with all QSO data entered correctly. I am using the program to read/control my FTDX-9000D and my microHam DigiKeyer II built in WinKeyer. Logic windows usually open include - Log Userfields (data entry), Log Userfields (Browse), Callbooks, WinKeyer, Other QSOs and DX Calculator.

I am accessing internet via a pretty reliable wifi connection with very good signal strength

Didn't mention before but problem always occurs after hitting the Tab key after entering a call. Would appear that the callbook callup is causing the problem but why so random and unpredictable. Just checked and the callsign lookup was for FO/KH0PR and the callbook window says his data was found in Logic. I have worked him before.

Curious - Does Logic have Callbook data embedded in it? The usual sources that I see are: Logic, QRZ and Univ of AR @ Little Rock.

Maybe this info helps a bit more to isolate the problem.

Walt W4GV

w4gv
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2013 4:43:45 AM(UTC)

Happened again this AM. Problem lasts for 2 1/2 to 3 min before program resumes full function. Logged time is the correct time, not the delayed time.
Checked task manager for CPU usage. It varied from 22% to 80% with a large portion between 60% and 75%. Memory usage flat at 3.1 GB.
N5XZ
#5 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2013 11:12:07 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered, Beta Testers

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Seems most of my crashes come after pressing tab to enter in a new callsign...or clicking on a call from the spot log to change freq/mode. Could the two be interrelated?
73, Allen N5XZ
w4gv
#6 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2013 11:52:13 AM(UTC)

I never use the spot log so can't relate there. The tab after entering a call seems to be the key for me. Have you let it play out until Receiving an error msg, a and then gotten a recovery?

Walt. W4GV
WN4AZY
#7 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 11:22:26 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi--

Ok, the browser script error sounds like QRZ.COM and some browser issue. Are you interfacing LOGic to QRZ.COM? Or DX Summit? The host is sending javascript that the browser can't handle. There is nothing we can do about the bad javascript. I will look into the possibility of turning off javascript execution on our browser instance.

The solution is not to use whatever web site is causing the problem. QRZ subscription works fine. It uses an XML data feed that is designed to be consumed by other programs. Or hamqth.net is a free callbook that is very comprehensive and also uses an XML data feed.

Telnet will avoid DX Summit.

Allen, I don't think the errors you are seeing is related to this.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
N5XZ
#8 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 12:36:14 PM(UTC)

I have mine switched already to hamqth.com. Does it use XML data by default or do I need to turn it on somewhere.

I am fairly certain that the problems have something to do with the callbook lookup. How do I turn it off? I would like to try w/o the callbook lookup for a while to see what happens. BTW, got two crashed just today...
File Attachment(s):
LOGic Error Message 2013-09-16.pdf (10kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
hamqth.com.pdf (19kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
73, Allen N5XZ
w4gv
#9 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 12:41:05 PM(UTC)

Dennis,

Haven't done anything special in terms of setting up Logic for a specific callbook server. It just seeemed to automatically go to these servers when the Callbook page was opened and then a call was entered followed by a Tab. As I said before, the Program seems to concentrate callbook lookups primarily on QRZ and Univ of Arkansas at Little Rock. Sometimes the callbook page shows the source as Logic.

On occasion when it shows Logic, is that a result of prior call lookup and logging the call?

Thanks Dennis. My first use of Logic goes back to Logic 4.

Walt W4GV
w4gv
#10 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 12:44:08 PM(UTC)

Just saw Allen's pdf's. I've never seen the error he posted.

w4gv
w4gv
#11 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 12:51:49 PM(UTC)

I just subscribed to QRZ.com. When I get on next, will address the change on the Callbook Menu page.

Walt W4GV
WN4AZY
#12 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 8:39:39 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

HamQTH in LOGic uses XML, as does the QRZ Subscription. The server sends XML only, so if you are using one of those two, you ARE using XML.

To turn off an individual callbook, click the SETUP button in the callbook window. To turn off auto lookup altogether, go to log/setup (using the little menu bar at the top og the log data form) and turn off auto lookup.

Quote:
I just subscribed to QRZ.com. When I get on next, will address the change on the Callbook Menu page.

Sorry, I don't follow. Did you get the QRZ Subscription? If so, in order for LOGic to use it, you have to click the SETUP button in the callbook form. Turn off QRZ.COM (which is the web site everyone sees), and turn on QRZ Subscription. The first time you use it, it will ask for user (callsign) and password.

There are sone videos on Logic's callbook facility here:
http://hosenose.com/videos/

Thanks,

DH

w4gv
#13 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 9:23:48 AM(UTC)

Dennis,

No problem configuring the callbook sources for Logic.

Haven't gotten the 2 1/2 to 3 minute delay error message since I switched to the QRZ subscription. I have gotten the same error message that Allen got, but only twice in almost a week instead of several times a day. In addition, it's much less disruptive. Appears immediately and just have to close Logic, Clean and restart it and it's good to go. I often leave the logging/station control computer on for over a week at a time. That may contribute to some of the problems. Trying to get used to shutting down at the end of each day.

I'll probably disable QTH.com to reduce the DO calls.

Still need to review the videos.

Tnx es 73
Walt W4GV
K4WSB
#14 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 12:31:35 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
QRZ locks up every few times accessing...I have to wait [forever!]to get the "stop running script" message
I run both Telnet and DX Summit: They DO NOT access the same info
QRZ, unfortunately, is the best info source. Hamqth is not complete and started life copying the info from QTH !
Along with multiple spot postings of the same info and several other issues, I'm about to give up and find another logging/control program!
w4gv
#15 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 2:01:37 PM(UTC)

To K4WSB,

I subscribed to QRZ (there are several options available) and totally got rid to the long lockup. See details in the rest of this thread.

The videos that Dennis posted are very informative and helpful. Recommend that you push QRZ (the non-subsciber choice) down the list of databases so that it isn't utilized often. On the other hand, you could subscribe to QRZ and probably get rid of the problem.

I keep discovering new things the program can do. Not sure you'll find this power in any other logging program.

gl es 73
Walt W4GV
nr6q
#16 Posted : Sunday, October 6, 2013 3:58:52 PM(UTC)

Man

I have this same issue.

Running Windows 8, and it does appear to be directly related to QRZ lookup. I can look up in any other call book or data base and it seems to be fine. Also does not appear to happen if I have previously worked the station.

But It does appear that this is an issue for my system when it goes to QRZ to look up information.

gg
w4gv
#17 Posted : Sunday, October 6, 2013 4:20:41 PM(UTC)

As I said, and if you wish to pay money, this doesn't happen with a QRZ Subscription. There is another error which happens occasionally but it's not as annoying. Very short lived and Logic recovers nicely.

73 es gl
Walt W4GV
N5XZ
#18 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 9:46:57 AM(UTC)

I have noticed that crashes have been reduced significantly since I loaded the latest version of LOGic and paid for the QRZ subscription. I cannot remember which one I did first, but they were done very close together (not a good practice for troubleshooting, I'm afraid!). In any case, LOGic hardly crashes at all any more, so one or the other (or both) had some effect on that. Still some occasional crashes (one yesterday, but went the whole week without any). I think that is still too many, and there must be some other issues not yet resolved.

Dennis should look at why doing one or the other might have improved things.

BTW, running Win 7 64 bit with occasionally many other programs concurrently. microHAM microKeyer II, dual monitor, K3/P3/SteppIR.
73, Allen N5XZ
w4gv
#20 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 3:52:11 PM(UTC)

Allen,

Sounds similar to my complexity. Running an FTDX-9000D and Ft-1000D as backup. Also running Win7 64 bit, dual monitors and a microHam DigiKeyer II. I upgraded Logic first but was still having frequent long crashes. After abt a week I subscribed to QRZ.com and the crashes were more infrequent and less serious in nature. No 2 1/2 to 3 minute lockups, just error message that you reported earlier. Easy to clear altho it may appear 2 or 3 times per appearance.. I think getting rid of the adverising is a key to the better performance under the QRZ subscription.

Walt W4GV
WN4AZY
#19 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2013 2:33:45 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Originally Posted by: N5XZ Go to Quoted Post
I have noticed that crashes have been reduced significantly since I loaded the latest version of LOGic and paid for the QRZ subscription. I cannot remember which one I did first, but they were done very close together (not a good practice for troubleshooting, I'm afraid!).

It was the subscription no doubt. There haven't been any changes to LOGic that would affect stability.

Tnx & 73,

DH