logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

CW Keying in Contest Mode
N5XZ
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:43:29 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered, Beta Testers

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Just for grins, I played around a bit in the ARRL DX CW last weekend using LOGic 9, just to see how well it might work. I found that the CW memories do not seem to work when in contesting mode (contest log window is open). I also found that the speedup/down command didn't work as advertized. The | used for a half dit worked, but curious why you chose a half dit command rather than a half space command as most contest programs do. The contest programs also use a symbol to raise/lower CW speed by a discrete amount (WPM) rather than a percentage or setting a fixed speed. That way, if you have chosen, say 32 WPM (using pot or direct entry), you can raise or lower your speed by 1 or 2 WPM by adding a specific symbol ( ' < ' or ' > ' ) to do the speed change.

Otherwise, CW operation (WinKEY here) went very smoothly and the [Send message after tab] feature was very nice, much like using ESM (Enter Sends Message) in another program.

Allen N5XZ
73, Allen N5XZ
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:09:14 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Don't know on the contest screen and memories -- the contest screen is the same as other screens in this respect. What is it doing or not doing exactly? Make sure that messages are defined.

The | for half-dit is what WinKeyer does, not us. I guess it gives you finer control.

Are you referring to inline speed change commands? How do they not work?

You can change TO a discrete amount, or vary by percentage. Varying by percentage rather than merely adding or subtracting a fixed WPM makes more sense. You want to send your call a little slower. 2 WPM would be significant if you were operating at a base of say 10 WPM for a "novice". But if you were operating at 40WPM, decreasing by 2 WPM makes no practical difference. 20%, yeah.

Tnx & 73,

DH
N5XZ
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:20:40 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered, Beta Testers

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

When the contest form was open, the CW memories did not work. I could still send CW with the paddle, but F keys and memory buttons were unresponsive.

Allen N5XZ
73, Allen N5XZ
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:56:41 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

I tried WinKey with a contest and the function keys work just fine here. Call me and I can log in and look. Are the function key buttons at the top of the WinKeyer form grayed out? Make sure you have macros defined in log/setup.

The embedded speed, wait, and repeat commends do not work however.

Tnx & 73,

DH
WN4AZY
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:00:40 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

I tried WinKey with a contest and the function keys work just fine here. Call me and I can log in and look. Are the function key buttons at the top of the WinKeyer form grayed out? Make sure you have macros defined in log/setup.

The embedded speed, wait, and repeat commends do not work however.

Tnx & 73,

DH