logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Report writer and report writing
W5GA
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 4, 2011 9:43:29 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Dennis, do you have any suggestions for what to study to make full use of the report writer as you've suggested?

73 Doug
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:23:15 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 487 time(s) in 402 post(s)
Hi Doug:

The section on expressions and functions in Help, and looking at existing reports.

Is there anything in particular that you would like to do?

DH
1 user thanked WN4AZY for this useful post.
W5GA on 9/6/2011(UTC)
W5GA
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2011 4:07:05 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WN4AZY Go to Quoted Post
Hi Doug:

The section on expressions and functions in Help, and looking at existing reports.

DH

Dennis, over the years I've come across several things that I wanted to do at one time or another. Usually it's some one time thing, or something that would be used very infrequently. Unfortunately, I can't remember any of them at the moment.

Is there a limit to the number of operators you can string together? Can you put them on separate lines, and if you do will Logic move through them sequentially?

Thanks!
vk4iu
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2011 4:29:55 AM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day,

The one special thing I like about Logic is - the Report Writer. No other logging program even comes close.

I have used all the resources Dennis mentions, I have examined all the sample reports, and have been able to produce all the additional reports I need.

But, there are TWO things I would like some advice on - can it be done? Yes or No.

ONE

My old eyes need a "ZOOM" facility in the report writer. Positioning fields and text, making small changes to the format, is easy. But it would be so much easier if there was a "ZOOM" facility to enlarge the report to see the small details. Is there any sort of "zoom" function available - anywhere?

TWO

I would love to be able to "run the report" while in the "report edit mode". I see the options to do it in the menus - but when used, the reports always error. Clearly, this is obviously because the "environment" needed by the report is not in place when the report runs. So I have to make a change, save, exit, run the report, note the problems, and then start the edit all over again - and repeat the process over and over. This process wastes a lot of time. In Logic, is it possible to "run the report" while editing the report? What "initialisation" do I need to follow so that it works?

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2011 8:12:31 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Originally Posted by: W5GA Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: WN4AZY Go to Quoted Post
Hi Doug:

DH

Dennis, over the years I've come across several things that I wanted to do at one time or another. Usually it's some one time thing, or something that would be used very infrequently. Unfortunately, I can't remember any of them at the moment.

Is there a limit to the number of operators you can string together? Can you put them on separate lines, and if you do will Logic move through them sequentially?

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay in my reply to this. I missed it somehow.

Expressions cannot have linefeeds in them -- a textbox that you enter them into (or more typically created with the Filter dialog) or that they are displayed in may wrap, but there are not actually multiple lines.

There is no limit to the number of operators per se, but there is a limit of 254 characters per expression I believe.

Expressions are evaluated from left to right. Parenthesis and algebraic precidence do matter, however.

1+2*3 will be 7. Multiplication is done before addition. The smart way to write this is 1+(2*3) just for clarity.

(1+2)*3 is of course 9.
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2011 8:22:17 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Peter:

Sorry, there is no zoom function on the report writer. Microsoft did this, and we do not have the source so we cannot add it. However, in Win 7 there is a magnifier. Type magnifier in the Win 7 Search box.

The difficult part is turning magnification off. Mouse down to the task bar, look for the icon, and close the Magnifier program.

Vista probably has something similar. XP has one too, but finding it will be more difficult hihi.

The Report Preview works only for the simplest reports. The more complicated reports, such as AWARDS, require that a lot of code be run to generate the data to be reported -- the report does not actually come directly from the log data -- there is a lot of SQL that needs to get run first. In this case the only way to get the extracts and to test is to run the report in the normal way.
vk4iu
#7 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2011 4:08:46 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
OK.

Thanks for that.

What you indicate confirms what I always thought would be true.

I have been using the "magnifier" that comes with Microsoft's mouse software.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
NA5Q
#8 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2012 11:16:38 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have found several variable errors (Phone totals are really RTTY totals and Bands totalled in error) in the following reports:

all band and mode awards progress - DXCC CHALLENGE.REP
DXCC, Challenge Award & Top List Awards Summary.REP

I have attached copies of corrected reports. If I have done anything in error, please advise, but I think it is correct now!

Thanks,

Roland
File Attachment(s):
DXCC CHALLENGE Reports.zip (26kb) downloaded 51 time(s).