logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Kure Island prefix table (possible) error
w2zi
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 6:27:41 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Dennis,
So after marking the Kure prefix entry with an Ending date, I was getting a 'no records' when I filtered for DXCC=KH7.
Looking closely at the entry, there's a starting date of 4/24/95. I saved my prefix table files and re-installed 9.1.15 taking the original prefix table. The start date was there.

I worked Kure in 1991 & 1992 and got DXCC credit for the paper cards I sent in.

Searching on ARRL's website I could not find a start date, just the deleted date.

Where did you get that start date?

Thanks & 73s, Don
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 9:23:58 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Quote:
So after marking the Kure prefix entry with an Ending date, I was getting a 'no records' when I filtered for DXCC=KH7.
Were you filtering the log or the prefix table? In the prefix table you need to filter on dxcc_pfx. If filtering the log, it just means that there are no QSOs with KH7 in the DXCC field. The prefix table would not affect this.

Quote:

Looking closely at the entry, there's a starting date of 4/24/95. I saved my prefix table files and re-installed 9.1.15 taking the original prefix table. The start date was there.
I don't remember where I got it originally, but this sort of confirms it.
https://clublog.freshdes.../94826-kh7k-kure-island
I think I am missing an entry with plain old KH7 for the prefix for Kure before 4/95 and Hawaii after. Kind of a moot point now I guess.

Quote:
I worked Kure in 1991 & 1992 and got DXCC credit for the paper cards I sent in.
Just find them in your log and set the DXCC field to KH7.

Quote:
Searching on ARRL's website I could not find a start date, just the deleted date.
Note that the dates in the prefix table applies to prefixes only. They have nothing to do with DXCC.

Also, note that all the prefix table is there for is to convert a call sign to a DXCC country. Once a QSO is logged, it is of no consequence.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
w2zi
#3 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 4:45:44 PM(UTC)

Man

Dennis,
Thanks for the reply but it kinda bugs me. I could not find the exact starting date for KH7. Looking on ARRL DXCC, the current deleted list has entries as far back as 1949 (VO) but the entry for KH7 only lists "contacts made August 25, 2016, and before, count for this entity." No starting date.

Not sure where you got that date but I've removed it.

I just have to remember to remove it after any prefix update until you change the master record. You also have to add the end date to KH4 and KH7.

Next time I speak to Bill Moore at the DXCC desk, I'll ask.

Thanks, Don
K1VC
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:39:41 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Don,

Bill Moore (NC1L) passed away last year.

http://www.arrl.org/news...ager-bill-moore-nc1l-sk

Vin
1 user thanked K1VC for this useful post.
w2zi on 4/18/2017(UTC)
WN4AZY
#5 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 12:42:04 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Don,

I failed to include a link in my previous post where I said "this sort of confirms it". I added it. Check it out.
https://clublog.freshdes.../94826-kh7k-kure-island
Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply but it kinda bugs me. I could not find the exact starting date for KH7. Looking on ARRL DXCC, the current deleted list has entries as far back as 1949 (VO) but the entry for KH7 only lists "contacts made August 25, 2016, and before, count for this entity." No starting date.
Ok, but you're mixing apples and oranges so-to-speak. When the DXCC became active does not necessarily have anything to do with when various prefixes may have mapped to it. Using KH7 in the above link as an example, it became a possible prefix for Hawaii on 1995-04-01. That should be the start date for KH7 = Hawaii in the prefix table. It has nothing to do with when Hawaii became a "country". KH7 ceased being mapped to Kure on 1995-04-31. That should be the end date for KH7 = Kure. Again, nothing to do with when it became deleted.

Do you agree with the above? If so, I will make the changes to our master copy.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis
w2zi
#6 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 2:32:25 PM(UTC)

Man

Dennis,
Thanks for digging up that page on Club Log. I worked KH6JEB/KH7K on 6/8/1991 on 20m, KD7P/NH7K on 2/13/92 on 40m and KH6JEB/KH7K on 3/13/92 on 10m.
I have the cards, mailed them in (the old days) and received DXCC credit.

I've read the article a couple of times and am more confused. I guess do nothing to the master list except the ending date.

Thanks & 73s,
Don
W5GA
#7 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 7:20:46 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 97 post(s)
I worked KH6JEB/KH7 twice in '85. I sent a note to the good folks at clublog asking if the call should not be whitelisted there.

73 Doug W5GA
WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 12:42:18 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Quote:
I worked KH6JEB/KH7K on 6/8/1991 on 20m
Ok, so that was KH6JEB working portable on Kure. He signed /KH7K since KH7 could have still been Hawaii. It wouldn't have made any sense, granted. Like me operating WN4AZY/K4.