logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Using Logic9 with SmartSDR
WN5V
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2017 10:12:31 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Has anyone used Logic9 with SmartSDR. I use it with PowerSDR and virtual serial port software, but just acquired a new flex and want to use it with SmartSDR software
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN5V
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 9:20:28 AM(UTC)

Successfully using Logic9.1.12 with Flex 6500 and SmartSDR software. Two receive slices, with both set up for logging. Only problem is that occasionally, when you double click on the Freq to update it, Logic9 crashes and you have to bring it up - that 2 step processes that takes a minute or so. No often enough to worry about, but and annoyance.
WN4AZY
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 11:03:29 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Ok, I don't understand exactly what you have with respect to hardware. However, I am guessing that if you exit SmartSDR, the virtual serial ports disappear, and LOGic is going to HAVE to error when it tries to access a port that magically disappeared. If I am correct, this would be the same as yanking a USB=>RS232 adapter while LOGic is using it.

If I am correct, the only solution is to exit LOGic before exiting SmartSDR.

What does the error message say?

Tnx/73,

DH WN4AZY
WN5V
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 1:31:01 PM(UTC)

Hardware is Dell 3650 PC with 16gb memory, and windows 10. Software is SmartSDR. Virtual serial port software is SmartSDR CAT. SmartSDR CAT is loaded with you first start SmartSDR, and remains running until you either stop it or reboot. It does not quit when SmartSDR exits.

What happens is as follows: Start SmartSDR. It connects with the Flex 6500 via Ethernet. SmartSDR CAT, if not running already, is started. To use it with a logging program or other programs that need serial port capability, in SmartSDR CAT you active a serial port and sync it with a receiver slice. With the Flex6500 you can have 4 different slices with 4 different virtual serial ports.

Using Logic9, you set up the serial ports based on those defined in SmartSDR CAT (e.g. COM4, COM5, COM6 and COM7). SmartSDR uses the Kenwood 2000 CAT interface. Works like a charm.

Now exit SmartSDR. SmartSDR CAT still running. Restart SmartSDR. Reset serial ports in Logic9 from the menu. Frequency in the 2 edit controls at the bottom appear and match what's displayed in SmartSDR. Now try logging a contact. Enter the log values, then double click on the Log Frequency edit box. Without fail, you get the error message: 'Logic.exe has stopped working', with a button to exit. Do that, and then bring up Logic9 again. You get the message that Logic9 was exited improperly, and it asks to clean up the database. All logging info for the contact being logged is lost.

It's no big thing, just annoying.
WN4AZY
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 2:07:15 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, so LOGic talks to SmartSDR CAT, which does not exit. But if you exit SmartSDR, LOGic will still error. LOGic is not talking to SmartSDR. Is that correct?

Go to the event viewer immediately after it happens to hopefully get the real error message.
https://www.youtube.com/...v=uwluv1NmWLw&t=26s

I got to your email on this topic, and see that you say you have version 9.1.12. There is no such version. We are only up to 9.1.10 at the moment. Pse recheck your version. Help/About.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
WN5V
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 2:25:27 PM(UTC)

That is correct - Logic9 talks to SmartSDR through SmartSDR CAT. When all is working well (SmartSDR running, SmartSDR CAT running, Logic9 running), SmartSDR CAT shows 2 com ports connected between receivers (slice 1 and slice2) and Logic9. If I kill Logic9, SmartSDR CAT shows two serial ports still defined, one connected to each receiver slice in SmartSDR. if I leave Logic9 running and kill SmartSDR, SmartSDR shows two serial ports connected to Logic9, but no receivers connected. Now If I restart SmartSDR, SmartSDR CAT shows normal connection between receiver slices and Logic9. (SmartSDR CAT has a separate window from SmartSDR) However, once I kill and startup SmartSDR without exiting Logic9, the next time I attempt to log a contact, I get the error message that Logic9 has stopped working.

Lesson learned: If you exit SmartSDR, exit Logic9 and the restart Logic9 after bringing up SmartSDR. Thanks for looking into it.
WN5V
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 2:55:30 PM(UTC)

Here's the event log. I cleared it before recreating the error.
Again, Thanks

Dave
WN5V
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 2:57:42 PM(UTC)

I saved the event log, but can upload it - wrong type. Can I email it to you?

Dave WN5V
WN4AZY
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 4:38:53 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Sure, email it to me. Or just copy the text and paste it here.

I removed your email address from your post -- otherwise you will start getting lots of spam. Anyone can read this.

DH