logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Built in callbook issue?
W5GA
#1 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2016 6:54:43 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Dennis,

If I look up W5GA, using U of Arkansas as the search engine, I get info indicating that I am in county X when I actually live in county Y. I asked U of A about this, and their info doesn't contain any info about what county I'm in. If Logic is using grid square to peg the county, then the boundaries are wrong. Any idea what may be going on?

73 Doug W5GA
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2016 7:37:12 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi Doug:

This is a known issue, and not just with LOGic. LOGic, as well as other callbooks, use a ZIP code database, provided by the USPS, that maps zip codes to county -- sort of. These postal zones do not follow county boundaries exactly, hence the error. You can see the same thing here:
https://www.hamqth.com/w5ga

For years I lived in ZIP 23901, which maps to Prince Edward County VA. I actually lived just across the river in Buckingham Co. Guys would work me, happy to get a rare county, then get pissed because they thought I didn't know what county I lived in hihi.

It is my understanding that SOME awards will accept the county based on ZIP code in lieu of the actual county. Not sure tho.

There are more accurate geolocating services available now, so am looking into that.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
1 user thanked WN4AZY for this useful post.
W5GA on 6/29/2016(UTC)