logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FISTS Contest Report
wd9hbc
#1 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2015 8:12:03 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

After a long layoff, I'm back to trying to get this to work. All the FISTS numbers are correct and entered properly. I don't use the FISTS log page as I have this info on my main log page. All I'm doing is trying to run the contest report (Contesting -> Reports -> etc, etc) After a couple of errors, that don't seem to affect anything (I click OK) I can get to the final report. However, it's not in the format that the FISTS Awards people want.

They simply want

Call Date Band FISTS #

The report that LOGic produces is much shinier and neater, but it's grouped by date so they aren't able to check it.

I suppose I could take the output and just reformat it by hand, but was hoping to avoid that. Also, the dates that it prints in the LOGic report
has the year cut off (only the first 2 digits show, so basically all one gets is a 20.

Any ideas? Would you like me to post screenshots?

Thanks!

Jim, WD9HBC
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 1:07:50 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi Jim:

Thanks for your post.

The Log report LOGic does not have the year cut off when I run it here. I'll attach a copy of my log report to this post. Put it in the REPORT folder inside your LOGic install folder (typically c:\program files(x86)\logic).

Quote:
but it's grouped by date so they aren't able to check it.

Well, there are options to sort by Call Sign or User Column (which would be FISTS# in this case) when you run the report. Shat do you want it sorted by?

I simply took the log report and deleted Name, QTH, QSL, etc. I left time. If you don't want that either, just modify the report and delete that too. Easer to delete than put back hihi.

Let me know if any questions.

Dennis WN4AZY
File Attachment(s):
fists.zip (10kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
wd9hbc
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 7:45:07 PM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,

My bad. I was referring to the FISTS Millionaire award. It's the one where the FISTS numbers are added, only once per band, for points. When I go Contesting -> Reports, I get a dialog to name the report, then I pick the appropriate report. There's no option to select an option to sort by. In fact, there are only 4 reports to choose from and non refer to FISTS, they all refer only to CONTEST. Am I doing something wrong?

Jim, WD9HBC
wd9hbc
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 9:33:21 PM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,

OK, I got the Millionaire contest/award working and got a printout that I'm pretty sure will work.

Now, what's interesting, although I know the FISTS Award (not the Millionaire one, but the QSO count one) was working and I used it to submit using LOGic 8 (I think, it was 2007 when I did it, so that sounds about right). However, when I try to do a report now, I get no results returned. I looked at the contest setup and it all appears correct (all dates essentially, only count ones that have a FISTS #, no dupes). And interestingly, the log worked fine and counted up the numbers for the millionaire, but the basic award one doesn't seem to work. Any ideas? Would you like a copy of my log?

Thanks!

Jim, WD9HBC
WN4AZY
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 2:46:12 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, I'm kind of lost now. The report I modified and returned to you is the simple LOG report. It has nothing to do with contesting, and definitely allows you to select a sort order.

Anyway, forget that and let's look at whatever you are using now. What is the exact report name? There is a FISTS RAGCHEW.... Anything contest-related that is not returning anything is probably because the contest ID is blank or incorrect.

Let me know.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
wd9hbc
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 7:27:10 PM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,

Here's my steps to recreate. I select "Contesting" then "Reports" then select "contest". It then asks for a name for the report. Then I get a dialog to select the contest log form "FistsAward". No, this time I just noticed the notes and actually read them. It says to goto "Tools -> Advanced" copy some code. then go to contesting and rescore. However, is there a step missing on what to do with that code in the open dialog box? Because it's still not changing the log and adding in the Contest ID (which now, it apparently seems to need). Weird, because I know this worked under previous versions.

Thanks for the help!

Jim, WD9HBC
WN4AZY
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2015 8:33:17 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, you're talking about this:

Quote:
FISTS award

http://fists.org/awards.htm

This is not actually a contest, but since it has points, and you can work each station for credit only once, it works exactly like one except that it is ongoing. Therefore, the contest start date is set way in the past, and the contest end date is set way in the future.

The Contest Score window and reports shows your points. To tally FISTS QSOs already entered, you need to replace the contest ID for all FISTS QSOs with FISTSAWD The following commands typed in (or copy & paste) to tools/advanced/database commands. Make a backup first!

USE LOG

REPLACE CONTEST_ID WITH "FISTSAWD" FOR "FISTS#:"$USERFIELDS AND EMPTY(CONTEST_ID)

Then click Contesting then Clear/Rescore Contest.

Enjoy!

DH 4/18/05

Sorry, I don't see any missing step. Maybe you missed what I bolded above. Click Tools/Advanced/Database Commands in the menu on the main logic screen. Copy and paste the above two commands. Do each command individually.

Let me know if any questions.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY

wd9hbc
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 4:19:24 PM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,

OK, well, interestingly, I didn't think (maybe that's the problem) that the commands needed to be done one at a time. I put both in. But then I'm sitting there waiting for something to happen. So, am I supposed to click Contesting -> Clear/Restore after entering each command?

So, now when I tried that, nothing still happens when I try to see the report on the screen. It still says that there's nothing to score.

The step I'm missing is after typing the command into the Command box. They just sit there and don't do anything. Looking at your comment above, after pasting the command individually, what, exactly, is the "do"? I think that's just what I'm missing. While I do a bunch of SQL programming and stuff, I'm not at all familiar with VFP and the little nuances and that's what I'm thinking I'm missing here.

Hoping that this detailed explanation (I hope it's detailed enough) will help you figure out where I'm going wrong.

Thanks for all the help!

Jim, WD9HBC
WN4AZY
#9 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2015 10:28:09 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

The database commands normally don't necessarily give any feedback. No news is good news. If you screw up, you'll get an error. For example, type

XYZZY

and hit {Enter}.

So, type

USE LOG

and hit {Enter}. Note the status bar now at the bottom of the Database Commands form says "Log" and "Record:1/9999".

Now copy and paste the second command:

REPLACE CONTEST_ID WITH "FISTSAWD" FOR "FISTS#:"$USERFIELDS AND EMPTY(CONTEST_ID)

Hit Enter.

Again, no message. If you did something syntactically wrong, you will get an error. But otherwise, nothing, except the status bar now says "Record:eof/9999". EOF=End of File.

The real proof of course is going to a FISTS QSO in the log form. If everything worked, it should say FISTSAWD in the Contest ID field.

I'll bet you aren't pressing {Enter} after pasting (or typing) each command.

I added the following to Help:

Quote:
Type or copy and paste commands into to the Command window. Press {Enter} to execute the command.

The Command window keeps a history of all commands entered. To redo a command, move the text cursor anywhere on the command line, and press {Enter}. You may edit the command before pressing {Enter}.

Commands do not necessarily provide any feedback. If you type a syntactically incorrect command or an error occurs during the execution of a command, an error message will be displayed. No news is good news! The status bar at the bottom of the Database Commands window gives information about the currently open file if any: the name, current record, and number of records in the file.

Just do UPDATE AWARDS PROGRESS once after doing both commands.
wd9hbc
#10 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2015 6:24:35 PM(UTC)

Perfect Dennis!!!

It just wasn't obvious to me (dunce cap firmly planted on head) to hit {Enter}.

It's working just as it should.

Thanks!

Jim, WD9HBC
WN4AZY
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2015 8:11:19 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

No problem. I'll take the blame for bad documentation hihi.

Dennis