logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Logic 9, Windows 8.1, MOXA Multi serial port - Explosive Mix
IK0CHU
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2014 10:27:17 AM(UTC)
RedBaron

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 79 post(s)

Hi,
I can no longer use logic9 with win8.1. (Is a disaster for me not to use a remote station)
The program always crashes.
I Use RIGblaster Pro, MOXA CP-168U multi serial port, DSP-2232, MasterKeyer MK-1.
Has anyone had the same problems using some or these devices as accessories to logic9?
The installation of the Logic9 is perfect as the installation of the 8 serial ports.
Some experience about?

Thanks and Happy Easter to All

73's de IKØCHU Mauro.
IKØCHU Mauro
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#2 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 6:00:52 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day Mauro,

I do not have any specific experience with the devices you list. But, I have used many 8 port serial cards with many devices.

Have you checked the drivers for the 8 port serial card. Does MOXA provide/support Win 8.X drivers for the card? I notice here that Win 8.1 is NOT listed.

Do any other programs/tools successfully communicate using the serial ports under Win 8.1?

Is your Win 8.1 an upgrade over the top of other older versions of Windows, or is it a completely new installation of Windows 8.1? Was LOGic 9 a new installation or copied from another older version of Windows?

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
IK0CHU
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:02:39 AM(UTC)
RedBaron

Man

Hello Peter ,
thank you for answering . I'll try to be more specific about my configuration so that you can get clear my situation.
Using XP I never had problems connecting to the devices that I have described above.
Using the same configuration are migrated to win8.1 . I have not changed anything on the interconnections of the various devices. The only thing I had to do was to change the value of the ports where they were connected peripherals.
To respond to your requests , I did a fresh install of Win 8.1 , formatting the disk with XP installed.
I have downloaded the updated drivers for the RIGblaster Pro and multi MOXA serial port 168U . Everything installed perfectly , at least for Win8.1 which did not detect any malfunction.
I installed Logic9 from my original CD. I upgraded to the latest version 062 and I started to configure the ports for my peripherals as well as I had with Windows XP.
My equipment for HF is connected to RIGblaster for the management of the PTT and the CAT via internal CIV while the equipment for vu - shf only via cat ct- 17, external .
The Logic9 window displays the controls of the two frequencies and apparently everything seemed to work .
I have configured the com ports for the rotor , DSP2232 , Ultrabeam remote control .
Everything working perfectly for Win8.1, no error.
The first thing I noticed was that the setting of HF radio via the spotlog did not change the frequency but the only MODE.
Turning the VFO ICOM 756PROIII , after a few moments the frequency is blocked and the program gave error by resetting everything.
I thought about the problems of speed of the interface cat. I changed different speeds but the result still the same.
I have tried many solutions but without getting benefits.

I made ​​a new installation of win8.1 but this time without installing the drivers of MOXA .
Logic9 installed again .
I just activated two CT-17 with two USB -RS232 converters ( Prolific based) where I connected the 756PROIII and 910- H .
I configure the ports with logic .
Everything perfect. The frequencies were accurate with the spotlog .
I enabled the drivers for the MOXA and configured the new coms.
I set the logic with new com ports to connect the rotor , the UltraBeam , the DSP2232 etc.
Now, with this new configuration, everything works perfectly.
The difference with the old configuration was that I had to abandon the possibility of using the CT-17 RIGblaster of replacing them with external interfaces.
I think my problem was this.
I'll try to use my two RIGblaster, because it seems impossible that the MOXA works well with all of the devices and the RIGblaster problems arise.
It occurs to me that the drivers are not suitable for windows 8.1.
What do you think Peter? I have been exhaustive in the description? Do you have any advice for me on this?
Thanks Mauro IKØCHU

IKØCHU Mauro
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:15:18 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
The rule-of-thumb is that any USB=>RS232 drivers that are not from FTDI are likely to be problematic. I got an email support request involving a Microham device that quit working when upgrading to Win 8.
IK0CHU
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:59:25 AM(UTC)
RedBaron

Man

Hi Dennis,
I have always used native RS232 ports and I've never had any problems.
I've never used USB-RS232 converter cables.
I do not know what are the technical differences between a converter Prolific or FTDI, but in my case I solved the problem with just two cables Prolific. I received them with the purchase of the two RIGblaster. But I've never used them for the very reason that I have always used digital interfaces with RS232 ports.

Now will buy a FTDI cable to try this type of accessory to verify the operational differences compared to the Prolific.
I also have a digital interface microHAM. I use the microHAM perfectly on the laptop with the OS win8.1.
However, I am now fully operational again with my remote station.

Thanks Dennis for your intervention, see you soon.
73's de IKØCHU Mauro
IKØCHU Mauro
vk4iu
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:24:39 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day Mauro,

It is good you have found a solution.

I hope I have understood your config correctly. Two RigBlaster Pros driving two radios with CT-17/CI-V protocols.

Given that you seem to have removed the CT-17 interface via the RigBlaster Pro, and the radio operation is now direct via two separate USB-RS232 links to the radios, I would suspect that the RigBlaster ICOM CT-17 interface to the radios may be the issue under Win 8.1.

Now you have a solution, I would reinstall the RIGBlaster Pro CT-17 interface, and drive the RigBlaster with the MOXA device, and look for the band/frequency problem to return.

The ICOM CI-V protocol is not reliable - especially when using a CT-17 style box from ICOM. The protocol makes no provision for collisions, and will exhibit the partial band/frequency issue you describe. The CT-17 implementation was originally designed simply to keep two or more ICOM radios synchronised using the "TRANSCEIVE" settings in ONE of the radios - no use of a PC was intended. The RIGBlaster Pro would be trying to overcome these limitations, using a microprocessor to translate between RS232 and the CI-V protocol, and was successful under Win XP, but not under Win 8.1

Now you are using two USB-RS232 devices with Prolific drivers, I agree with Dennis. Any company can use chips to produce an USB-RS232 device. The difference comes in the intellectual effort put into the drivers for the device. FTDI drivers are far more reliable than the Prolific drivers. I too have used both driver sets but ran into issues with the Prolific drivers - the serial devices thinking they are mice or anything other than serial ports when the PC reboots. I now will only use the FTDI devices and drivers.

Buying a USB-RS232 device with the FTDI drivers is not as easy as one might think - the drivers used are rarely mentioned on the package BEFORE you buy the device. After several expensive attempts here in Australia, I ended up buying proven devices from Dennis. I have six from Dennis and two from other sources.

The issue is non-compliance by the manufacturer with standards - USB interface standards, RS232 interface standards, Windows programming standards, and finally, Windows hardware certification standards. Compliance brings costs the "cheap device" manufacturers cannot meet.

That said, you have yet to experience any problem. Now you have added the Prolific devices and drivers to your system, look for a PC reboot to miss identify the Prolific driver based ports as something other than RS232 ports. For me they appeared as MS Serial Mice, making the mouse jump and click all over the screen, completely destroying my efforts for an RTTY contest. Good luck with that.

If you have questions about the above - please ask. Your English is much better than my poor Italian. My Italian is a little better, but not good enough, after spending a week in Munich with a German friend and her Italian restaurateur husband, Luigi.

Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.