logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Operating with a different callsign
w7gtf
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:11:46 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
How do I set up Logic 9 to log a special event station I operate for a weekend and upload to LOTW keeping it all separate from my normal W7GTF log?

Tnx,Ron/W7gtf
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:55:17 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi Ron:

You can create a new database to log into. See here:
http://hosenose.com/Foru...ate-a-new-database.aspx

If the special event station has its own callsign, LOGic won't let you enter that callsign in setup. This isn't a problem for logging, but if you are posting spots, it will look like the spots came from your callsign. I'll contact you directly to take care of this.

Let me know if any questions.

Dennis WN4AZY
LA8OM
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2014 3:52:31 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Dennis;

I try the prescribed method. However when trying to modify the shortcut, this error message appears: http://sdrv.ms/Kr60O4

Pse advise.

Chris / LA8OM

WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 9:48:33 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

The quotes are wrong.

I can't see the whole thing, but I am guessing that it like this:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES (x86)\LOGIC\LOGIC.EXE DATA=LI8OM"

It should be:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES (x86)\LOGIC\LOGIC.EXE" DATA=LI8OM

Sorry, my example in the article doesn't use quotes because they are not needed if there are no spaces in the path name.
w7gtf
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2014 10:39:42 AM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Dennis,

Back to the question of operating as a special event station(W1AW/7, for example) and keeping it separate. I notice in Setup for a Contest, there is the option to use a different call sign. Could I set up my operating as a contest and separate it that way and be able to upload to LOTW at the end of my operating time?

Thanks and 73,
Ron
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2014 11:04:59 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi--

Contests are not separate logs. A log form is just a different view of the same data. You can see contest QSOs in non-contest log forms and vice versa.

This feature of LOGic allows awards tracking during contests.

So the rule-of-thumb as to whether you want to start another database or use a contest log form: If the QSOs count for your DXCC, then DON'T create another database. If they do not count for your DXCC, then yes, create another database. Examples are family members and DXpeditions where you are operating overseas.

The other matter is using someone else's callsign in LOGic 9, which is registered only to your call(s) and those of other hams living at your same address. You can also specify a callsign at the log form level on non-contest forms. However, it will only let you type in licensed calls.

The solution is to MANUALLY log the callsign in OPERATOR for the first QSO after opening LOGic. That entry will carry forward to the next QSO, so you don't have to do it but once. If you close LOGic and reopen it, then you will have to manually enter W1AW/7 again. If you forget, they can be mass-updated with database commands using QSO_DATE.

If you do decide not to create another log for W1AW/7, then you can use filtering to export only QSOs with W1AW/7 as the operator.

Let me know if any questions.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
nt5a
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 12:50:12 AM(UTC)

I have a similar issue. Over the years, I have used ex-calls and also now use my current call. However, I have recently started using JT65 which does not support my use of /6 on my 5-Area call. Consequently, I have many LoTW QSLs which are for NT5A, even though they are for my CA QTH. LoTW confirms the contact, but Logic adds the (duplicate) contact with NT5A as operator instead of NT5A/6.

I have always used the Operator field as my record of where the contact was made from, and it has worked well up until this time. Now I am accumulating duplicate records in my log and if/when I work from Texas again, my awards tracking will be completely messed up as I will no longer be able to filter by the Operator field.

Is there a better way to keep track of one's transmitting location? It seems like filtering by Grid Square would be a good option ... but that would mean (for me) adding my grid square to some 6000 existent records - some for CA, some for TX and some for UT. I cannot be the first person to run into this. Is there a better way???

Thank you for the help!

73 de NT5A Bob
WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:29:59 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Bob:

Sorry, I don't follow. All I know about JT65 is that it is a funky digital mode. Does not allow you to use NT5A/6 as your call? Even so, I don't see how this would prevent you from logging NT5A/6 in the Operator field.

Actually, adding gridsquares would be easy using tools/advanced/database commands mass change feature. But I would rather figure out why Operator isn't working for you -- seems it would be simpler.
nt5a
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:12:10 PM(UTC)

Yeah, this is a bit complicated and confusing. The situation has evolved and I think involves a basic difference in philosophy between LoTW and the awards tracking procedure in Logic.

1. My LoTW account is set up geographically. Two ex-calls and my current call are identified as San Dimas CA. I have two TSQ keys for this location, NT5A and NT5A/6. This was done on the advice of the folks at LoTW because "not all hams are fastidious about including the /6". As time evolved, I started dropping the /6 on contests ... and now my JT65 contacts do not support "suffixes".

2. I have two other LoTW locations: Hill County TX and Park City UT. None of the records for Hill County used a suffix (of course) and the Park City records were all identified as NT5A/7.

The key thing here, is that LoTW only really cares about location, and does not seem to care about the operator, so long as the records are "signed" by the identifying "key" when they are uploaded. They "encourage" uploading the contacts twice if there is any concern that the matching records might be missing the suffix - this to improve the probability of a confirmed contact.

For a while, I thought that all was well, and then I noticed that I was downloading contacts which were "not in my log". I looked at them and recognized that they were valid contacts, so I pushed the button to add them to my log - and scratched my head, wondering why this was happening. Later, I noticed that these duplicate entries were listed with a different operator - in this case, NT5A instead of NT5A/6.

I figured that this was not really a problem ... until I started running reports for my 5BWAS progress and found that (of course) things were messed up on the reports. Contacts that I knew I had were not showing up on the NT5A/6 reports. When I discovered that, I manually went through and "fulfilled" the LoTW QSL on the NT5A/6 log pages that had matching confirmed NT5A pages. Of course there is no apparent way to exclude these "duplicate" records when I run a report on my TX contacts. Do you see the mess I am in?

If the reports only track the "operator" field, I see no way to fix my problem. I would imagine that sorting the reports by location instead of operator would solve my problem. But of course, I have no idea how to do that.

Any ideas? Thank you!