logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

OmniRig not working
W7HPW
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:02:18 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Using OMNIRig with LOGic 9 will not set the frequency/mode. LOGic 9 will read the frequency and the rig updates LOGic9 through OMNIRig correctly. TRX Manager works just fine.
I would like to use OMNIrig as I have other software I would like to interface to the rig at the same time.

Mark
W7HPW

Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:13:59 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Ok, I tested it again and absolutely no problem setting the mode or freq from LOGic when using OmniRig. I have an Icom 735, but the rig make/model shouldn't matter assuming the profile in OmniRig is correct.

You say TRX-Manager works just fine. TRX-Manager connected directly to your rig, or TRX-Manager thru Omnirig?

What rig do you have?
W7HPW
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:01:04 PM(UTC)

Rig here is FTdx5000MP, Some details, The FTdx5000 is connected to a Station Master by microham, TRXManager or OMNIrig talks to the FTdx5000 through the Station Master via a virtual serial port in the Station Master. AS I stated everything works perfect with TRXManager but not with OMNIRig. Other software that uses OMNIrig also will set band/modes on the FTdx5000 correctly (Faros, CWSkimmer, Band Master) are the ones that I have tried all of them function perfectly. On another point, the download of LOGic 9 as installed runs as “Run as Administrator” and does not recognize OMNIRig as being installed unless you have already started OMNIrig also using the “Run as Administrator” option.
How about not running LOGic 9 in the “Run as Administrator” mode?
Operating System is Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1
Thanks,
Mark
W7HPW

WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2012 8:40:02 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Mark--

I don't know if OmniRig has to be run in Admin mode or not. LOGic does, because it does of course write to the system. To avoid running with admin proviliges, the data would have to go in Application Data, but I didn't want to spread LOGic out over multiple folders. Windows is supposed to use virtualization if you try to write to the Program Files directory, but it doesn't seem to work either. Your best bet is to turn off User Account Control.

I don't know WHAT is going on with OmniRig. Do the proper mode buttons appear? Can you change Frequency? I Don't know what Station Master is. Is it a hardware device?

Try turning UAC off. Type UAC in the Windows search box.

Tnx & 73,

DH
WN4AZY
#5 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 1:43:54 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, I see what I did wrong with OmniRig -- there are actually different set-frequency commands depending on the internal commands supported by the rig. So pse try the latest 9.0.35 update. It works with my Icom, but I have no way to test it using an FT-2000.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
W7HPW
#6 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 6:43:58 PM(UTC)

Now using OmniRig locks up LOGic 9, I installed update 35 switched to OmniRig, Just as soon as the frequency is read from the rig and displayed in LOGic it hangs. All the applications in the task manage show “not responding”. I cannot change it back to not using OmniRig. I’ll play around with it and see if I can undo it.
Station Master is station automation system http://www.microham-usa.com/Products/sm.html , It talks to the FT5000 and selects the appropriate amplifier settings, antennas, etc. from a band table the you program into it. The rig is then presented to the computer on virtual serial port via USB.
On the other note as to UAC, I think that you should rethink your position, turning off UAC is not a viable solution. You are asking us to modify the system from the default as Microsoft shipped it to us. I am not a software programmer but it seems to me that LOGic 9 should run on the system as Microsoft shipped it, not as you think it should be. My 2₵ worth, BTW LOGic 8 would run just fine without Administrator Privileges

Mark
W7HPW
WN4AZY
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:21:26 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

I wonder if it is LOGic locking up or Omnirig? It could be an error dialog appearing from LOGic that is hidden behind something. I double-checked my code for errors and found nothing, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a mistake. Strange that all processes would hang like that though.

I set LOGic and OmniRig up to "use" my non-existent FT-2000 and no errors or lockup. Not a good test I realize.

Anyway, to get back into LOGic, delete the RADIO9.INI file from the install directory. That will clear all radio setup info.

On UAC, you don't HAVE to turn it off. You just have to verify that you permit LOGic to write to your computer for reasons explained. I don't concur that LOGic 8 ran with UAC on and without admin priviliges. We required that UAC be turned off as part of the install procedure. At least now you have the option. I guess you could give any user the necessary rights....

My opinion is that we did fine without UAC for 20 years, and it's more hassle than it's worth. But that's just my opinion hihi.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
DL2FAG
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:44:58 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hello

coming back to this post.

Be trying to use uómnirig as well with LOGIc9. So far the omniriug driver is working (tested with the application "BandMaster". If I start LOGic9, it takes a long time, and than it comes up the error message "OmniRig cannot be loaded - Make sure it is installed".
Are there any special configuration necessary for the OmniRig-Driver...it is just installed on the C-drive (standard path)

Karl
W5RAE
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:01:49 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Dennis,

For my 2 cents worth, when I used OmiRig with my FT-2000D and Logic9, it did not record the split frequencies correctly in the log form. It only recorded the receive frequency and not the transmit frequency so I stopped using OmniRig.

Any ideas?

Ron
W5RAE

Confused
WN4AZY
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:40:59 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Karl:

Good to hear from you.

No, nothing special installation is needed for omnirig. Not sure what is going on. I would reinstall it and see what happens.

What version of Windows are you using? It could be some security crap. Give your login user admin rights -- you don't have to log in as administrator, just give your normal login user admin rights. Now install OmniRig using that user. It should be the same user that you were logged in as when you installed LOGic. Also, turning off User Account Control never hurts.

Ron:

I looked at Logic's code and it should handle reading split with OmniRig.

Do you know if other programs supporting OmniRig read split freq OK? Does the swap A/B button work in LOGic when using OmniRig? It may just be a matter of tweaking the OmniRig setup file for your rig.

Which driver are you using in LOGic? FT-5000, number 52?

Happy new year!

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
w2zi
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 1:08:16 PM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Dennis,

This is a similar issue we've had all along with QSX operation and OmniRig since upgrading to LOGic 9.
It would not set the A VFO or go in to split. I had used HRD and the fake COM ports with LOGic 8 but
HRD had several birdies talking to the Omni VII. You then started to support OmniRig so we upgraded.
As I recall, LOGic 2 through 7 directly supported the Omni (5, 6, 7).

I just tried it with a 12M spot. I was on 160 simplex LSB and tried to set the rig to a 12M CW spot at 24.9000
with 'up 1' in the notes. The B VFO is properly set to 24.9010 BUT the A VFO is still on 160m! To make things
more confusing: LOGic's radio control reports 24.9000 [as soon as I bump the VFO dial a touch, it then
reports the correct (1.829..) frequency]; LOGic also reports I'm in split mode thought the radio is NOT.
I does change to CW.

Just tried it with another 12M spot with 'qsx +1' in the notes and the same results.

Set the rig to 10M phone and set rig to a 17m CW QSX spot. Once again, it set the B VFO correct but he A VFO is
still on 10M. LOGic reports split mode though the radio does not. Tried a 20M 'up 1' with the same wrong operation.

Tried it with a 20m USB QSX spot. Again, it set the B VFO correct but the A VFO is still on the previous frequency.
The mode changed to USB. LOGic reports the spot frequency and split but both are wrong.

I conclude (as I'm tired) that it does not set the A VFO and it does not set split operation. Band and CW/Phone
seem to have nothing to do with the issue.

Rig is TenTec Omni VII and LOGic 9.0.61. PC is Windows XP SP3. I did pour over the rig definition
and things looked fine.

Thanks and 73's,
Don
DL2FAG
#11 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 8:16:18 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WN4AZY Go to Quoted Post

No, nothing special installation is needed for omnirig. Not sure what is going on. I would reinstall it and see what happens.

What version of Windows are you using? It could be some security crap. Give your login user admin rights -- you don't have to log in as administrator, just give your normal login user admin rights. Now install OmniRig using that user. It should be the same user that you were logged in as when you installed LOGic. Also, turning off User Account Control never hurts.

Dennis WN4AZY

Dennis, running Win7 Pro and be logged with Admin-rights. Using the omni-rig with an other application (bandmaster from VE3NEA) and that works fine. If I close that app. and start LOGic9 with the setting CAT to OMNI-RIG - than it appears, that the fault-message comes up - "not installed"

Have done meanwhile a other Installation of IOMNI-RIG but results in the same

Karl