logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Which Card's to Send for DXCC
n5zc
#1 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 9:36:34 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

It's been a while since I've sent card's (or lotw confirmations) to the ARRL to update my dxcc totals.

I'm trying to figure out which report to generate so I know which entities I need to submit.

- I have 334 dxcc entities confirmed
- I have previously sent in 325 cards/lotw
- My goal is to pull a report to identify the 9 dxcc entities that are confirmed in Logic9, but I have not submitted to the ARRL
- All of my previous DXCC submissions have been marked with DXCCSUB: in the comment field.

So which report do I need to pull and how in order to identify the 9 entities to send confirmations to the ARRL?

Thanks

Rich - N5ZC

Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#3 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 6:51:09 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
... the cards already sent can be excluded by ...

(DXCC='VK' OR DXCC='K' OR DXCC="XX" ... ) AND NOT ("DXCCSUB:" $ COMMENT)

You can check the syntax with the filter on a log from. Just fill in the values in the DXCC and COMMENT field and click EDIT. Edit the DXCC component to use the SIX DXCC countries.

Then select the filter and copy and paste (CTRL-C, CTRL-V) to any other filter you want to use on any report you choose to use.

I usually have Notepad open, and copy and paste the "filter" into a file there, together with a comment about it, so I can make use of the filter expression again at a later time. Saves a lot of time and tedium.

Like this, in a file called myfilters.txt...:

(DXCC='VK' OR DXCC='K' OR DXCC="XX") AND NOT ("DXCCSUB:" $ COMMENT)
Select the cards for ARRL - Nov 2014. After the CQ WW CW.

I hope I have understood your needs correctly.
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
vk4iu
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2013 3:08:22 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

Originally Posted by: n5zc Go to Quoted Post
It's been a while since I've sent card's (or lotw confirmations) to the ARRL to update my dxcc totals.

I'm trying to figure out which report to generate so I know which entities I need to submit.

- I have 334 dxcc entities confirmed
- I have previously sent in 325 cards/lotw
- My goal is to pull a report to identify the 9 dxcc entities that are confirmed in Logic9, but I have not submitted to the ARRL
- All of my previous DXCC submissions have been marked with DXCCSUB: in the comment field.

So which report do I need to pull and how in order to identify the 9 entities to send confirmations to the ARRL?

Thanks

Rich - N5ZC

... the "AWARD" or the "AWARD Multi Column" reports include a panel to find QSOs for which you have cards to submit. This panel in the reports ...

Exclude cards

... allows you to exclude the QSOs for which you have already submitted cards.

Peter VK4IU
n5zc
#5 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2013 7:28:16 AM(UTC)

Hi Peter,

I appreciate your responses here.

I did use the Awards report the first time I submitted card's and used the "tag marking submitted cards' option.

The Awards Report panel you show above is used for tagging the card's not finding them.

When I pulled my first Award's report I entered DXCCSUB: in the box in that panel. When I was prompted it filled the comment field on all of those callsigns with DXCCSUB:

I did this a couple of years ago as my very first submission of card's/lotw to the ARRL. This was for 326 entities. The process worked like a champ.

Now after a couple of years I have increased my total from 326 entities confirmed to 334. While it's easy for me to figure out which 9 card's/lotw I need to submit, it got me to thinking.

What if I had sent in 100 cards' the first time and now I am up to a total of 250 entities worked, I now have to figure out which 150 cards's/lotw I would need to send in. This is what started my query. Which report could I use to identify those 150 qso's so I could pull the cards out my shoe box or which LOTW qsl's to use.

I've been playing with the report generator quite a bit. One of the things that I can't find, and I'm sure it's write under my nose in the manual, is the definitions of S,F,R,W and U in the query QSL_RCVD $ "SFRWU". I would think a combination of Comment not equal DXCCSUB: and QSL RCVD = XXXX would put me on the path of pulling a report to identify the confirmed entities which have not been submitted for DXCC.

To net this all out I'm trying to pull a report to identify confirmed qso's which have not been submitted to the ARRL. Entering DXCCSUB: in the comment field is the key to this as this identifies the cards which have already been submitted. To take this a step further:

- 340 total current DXCC entities available
- 326 confirmed and submitted. In the log, comment field = DXCCSUB: and QSL Rcvd or LOTW Rcvd = F
- 9 confirmed and not submitted. In the log, comment field = blank and QSL Rcvd or LOTW Rcvd = F

I'll post this same info in the Logic Forum

I appreciate your help Peter,

Rich - N5ZC

vk4iu
#6 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2013 6:46:26 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day,

While I track my achievements using the LOGic awards reports, I do not feel the need to submit cards and actually apply for awards. So I have never done this up until now.

I started up my "test and development" copy of LOGic, and ran some experiments with the standard "AWARDS" report - the one supplied with Logic. Looking at the report definition, it is rather complicated. Dennis must have lost a lot of hair doing that report.

Quote:
The Awards Report panel you show above is used for tagging the card's not finding them.

This is true, but I don't think that means the report cannot be useful for your purpose, Rich.

I looked through my test log and tracked down a few QSOs for which I have cards, and selected DXCC 40M CW as a good source of data for testing.

After running the report many times, with different inputs, here is the final result.

I selected ONE 40M CW QSO with Croatia and hand edited into the comment field "DXCC40MCW:". For me, that means I am pretending to have submitted this card to the ARRL for an award sometime in the past. This QSO is listed in the report if I just run the report in the normal way. Which I guess is why you concluded that the code is only used to tag the result.

I ran the AWARDS report again, and this time selected DXCC, and 40M, CW in the appropriate panels. I then entered entered "DXCC40MCW:" in the panel for tagging the qsos - shown above in this topic.

In this panel ...

Ignore submitted cards

... I clicked on the filter and selected - NOT COMMENT CONTAINS DXCC40MCW:, QSL_RCVD EQUALS F.

Note the Help text in the panel. Cards NOT meeting this "filter" will be ignored. So what results should be ...

NOT (NOT COMMENT $ "DXCC40MCW:" AND QSL_RCVD="F") which means ignore "COMMENT contains DXCC40MCW:" and QSL_RCVD="F". Yes, a bit tricky!

I then clicked through and displayed the result on the screen. I effectively had a list of QSOs with cards that could be submitted for 40M CW to the ARRL - the QSO with Croatia for which I have already submitted a card was not listed. Here is the report output ...

Cards to submit

I am still wondering about the QSL_RCVD="F" and its effect on the report. But, the report is a "black box". It did what I wanted it to do.

I would be very interested in the result on your log, Rich.

Also, I would love to hear what result others may achieve with this material.

Quote:
I've been playing with the report generator quite a bit. One of the things that I can't find, and I'm sure it's write under my nose in the manual, is the definitions of S,F,R,W and U in the query QSL_RCVD $ "SFRWU". I would think a combination of Comment not equal DXCCSUB: and QSL RCVD = XXXX would put me on the path of pulling a report to identify the confirmed entities which have not been submitted for DXCC.

Your correct ... but I think you mean COMMENT "contains" DXCCSUB: - not "equals" DXCCSUB: . The two are subtly different. You can use this in a filter on a log form if you want. I tried ...

NOT COMMENT $ "DXCC40MCW:"
band=40M
mode=CW
qsl_rcvd="F"

... and got 53 QSOs compared to 16 for the report. I guess that is because the report only shows the first QSL card for each DXCC entity. More work is needed to confirm that.

I too could not find any one place where QSL_RCVD is defined, but I have seen it, somewhere. The values have the obvious definitions F/ulfilled, S/ent,R/equested etc but an official definition would be great. I keep wondering when I would put W in the QSL_RCVD field. X, I understand is not wanted.

Finally ...

What if one of the cards selected by LOGic, you don't wish to submit. It may be too nice a card to risk in the post. How does one mark the card to be ignored? I guess one can abandon the report and put some code in the comment field, "IGNORE:", and then add this to the filter in the report. A user defined field could also be used.

It is a bit much to have the report sitting on the screen while one tries to find the cards in "the shoe box". We want to mark the comment field when we exit the report - but what if some of the cards cannot be found? I guess the "exceptions" will be small in number, so one could use a tag that is unique to THIS submission, say "DXCC40MCW-DEC2013:" and mark the QSOs anyway. Now one can process the report selection, get the cards together, and later hand update the QSOs for the exceptions.

Thanks for the topic Rich. If we keep this up, we will be much younger and more alert for years longer.

Peter VK4IU
vk4iu
#7 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2013 8:32:44 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

Back again.

All that was wonderful stuff. I learnt a lot, and created the opportunity to learn a little bit more.

Rich, Bill, and others - I think we have "cracked the nut" - so to speak.

In my last post, I used the INITIAL SELECT CRITERIA because the COMMENT field is not included in the filter just before printing. But, the real mistake was to include the : in the tag when asked.

The actual process is easier than described in my previous post.

Do NOT put the COLON on the end of the TAG when asked. That is use DXCC40MCW rather than DXCC40MCW:.

Then leave the INITIAL SELECT CRITERIA panel blank and use the normal filter just before printing to only list QSOs where the QSL is fulfilled - you actually have the card.

In that filter I used QSL_RCVD $ "F".

The report will display cards that you can pull including all the ones on LOTW already and will exclude any cards you have already marked with the tag. Given the security process the ARRL have created, I assume the ARRL does not want the physical cards for those QSOs already confirmed on LOTW, but you can still mark the QSO as used for the award.

That's not true for awards other than those for the ARRL - exclude the LOTW QSOs with "not LOTW_RCVD contains F" in the filter.

Here is the report I got this time - the card for Croatia (marked DXCC40MCW), and already submitted, is not in the list ...

DXCC 40m CW - second attempt

I get younger every day. Well I hope all that is correct. If not, it will be another opportunity to learn some more and get a little younger all over again.

Peter VK4IU
vk4iu
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 5:17:03 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day,

Back again!

This is so easy I have made a mess of it all. Faulty observations leading to wrong conclusions.

The report works as designed. Previously submitted cards do not appear in the report output.

If you do as my last post said - yes it works. But when you click YES to tag all the QSOs, the : is missing from the tag. I was reluctant to tag all my qsos yesterday.

So I repeated all my work, and got a different result. I am now missing more of the hair of which I already had very little.

My observations of yesterday, now appear incorrect. Today, if I use the code with the :, the "already submitted" QSO does not appear in the report.

Yep, I was as surprised as you may be.

For those of you who emailed me for assistance with this, I would love to know the result you are getting with your log. On the forum please - just add to this topic.

There are other issues we might discuss with regard to this, but I will leave all that until I hear what others experience.

Peter VK4IU
n5zc
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 5:48:53 PM(UTC)

Peter,

Keep up the good work. I won't be able to play with the reports until this weekend, but I will and I will report back.

Rich - N5ZC