logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Why use the Spot log Alert button?
vk4iu
#1 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2013 10:16:57 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day,

I suspect there is something missing in my understanding of Alerts. I hope someone who has more extensive experience of the Spot/Alert log can extend my knowledge.

I have used Tools, Setup, Bands to setup the Band Table. I get spots for only the bands and modes I am interested in.

I have setup Alerts - for example, while I am busy cooking the evening meal, my system "alerts" me to a spot made by "spot_by like VK* or ZL*", and I can enhance that for specifc spots for DX Peditions etc etc.

As Telnet fills in the Spot log I can see the full list, and, if necesary filter the list to see specifc directions (where my beams are pointed), places, DXCC etc, and see only what I want see or use the "quick filter" to see spots containing specific text.

All good. Works well.

The puzzle ...

Why, on the Spot Log form, is there an ALERT button to allow me to add a given spot to the list of ALERTS? If I click the button the record now appears in the list of Alerts.

The Help indicates that this is a good way to isolate a spot I find in the spot list. And I guess that's true. If I see a spot in the morning that other Continents are working, I can "remember" that spot in the Alerts list until propagation might allow me to work it later. From the Alert list I can "tune the rig" etc etc. Unlike the Spot Log, spots in the Alert list are not purged as time passes.

Is that it? To what other benefit is this spot now listed in Alerts? I expected that, using this button, I would get some assistance to setup an "alert filter" for the spot.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!