logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Problem configuring Rotor Interface
LA2SL
#1 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 9:34:58 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man

Hi.

I am running Logic9, lartest patch, on Windows 8, 64 bit version. I have a CDE rotor and have installed an Easy Rotor Controlller board in the Rotor Controller. This gives me the opportunity to control the rotor from the control program that comes with the board, or from Logic9, but not from both. I would like to be able to use both programs, since Logic9 does not display the direction of the rotor, while the control program does.

I know it's not possible to allocate Com1 from two sources at the same time, so I have tried using Virtual Serial Port Emulator (VSPE) defining a splitter from virtual com port 2 to com 1. This seams to work with the controller program, but Logic9 will hang when I try to enter the setup to modify the port.

In general, I think Logic9 seems unstable on Windows 8 64 bit, so I wonder if this is supported.

73 de LA2SL

Ulf
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 7:18:15 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Hi--

There is apparently a problem with the virtual COM ports not being compatible with Windows.

LOGic 9 does support polling the rotor. I wasn't aware that the Rotor EZ supported it however. I can't find the command guide on their web site. Do you have documentation for it, and if so, what is the command to get it to return the heading?

Try the HyGain DCU-1 interface, and turn polling on. Be sure to use the new driver, not the LEGACY one.

Let me know.

DH
LA2SL
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 2:08:32 AM(UTC)

Man

Thank you for the reply.

Got VSPE and Logic9 to play together yesterday, but still no polling. Can control rig from Logic9, but must use the control roger am from ERC to dippy the posision. Works ok to use both programs at the Sam time now that VSPE is working. Main problem was to change from Com1 to Com2 in Logic9. Program was hanging each time I tried to enter the form for changing rig and rotor interface etc.

My rotor is CDE CD-44, and I'm not sure what driver to use. My controller card is ERC from www.easy-rotor-control.com. Not sure what driver to use.

I would expect to get readings using the Rotor Control Head form, but is there somewhere else I should check?

I'll check in the manual or ask ERC for the commands to poll the controller.

OK - Got this information from Rene:

Today I installed Logic9 in order to see if this has changed. And yes, it has.
With the Rotor set to:
Driver: HyGain DCU1, Green Heron RT-20 (uses 4800 Baud 2 stop bits), etc.
Baudrate: 4800
Stopbits: 2
Poll: checked
The program is now requesting position information from the rotor, see file attached. The ERC is answering properly with ';aaa' but the position is not shown on the rotor-head. You may contact the author of the program in order to clarify this.

Ulf
File Attachment(s):
image.jpg (21kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
LA2SL
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:55:32 AM(UTC)

Man

Have got the following information from Rene about how to poll the card:

If the supplier of Logic9 is asking for the commands used to poll the position, just send him the picture I attached in my last mail. This is showing the poll-command in BLUE (AI1;) and showing the answer of the interface in RED (;286).

The picture is in my last update as an attachment , same picture laded twice - my fault

It would be nice to get this working. I also would like to have the world map updated - now it points constant to the north
WN4AZY
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:05:13 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, I mistakenly thought it was RotorEZ, not EasyRotor. I'll go to their web site and see what I can find.

Does the DCU-1 Driver set ok, but not read? Is that correct?

Thanks,

Dennis
LA2SL
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:11:26 AM(UTC)

Man

That's correct. I can set and controll the rotor, but it does not display any information about the position. Rene says that this information is returned to Logic9, ref my previous entry, but not displayed. The picture I uploaded and the answers from Rene might give you some mor information. It's also possible to contact him by mail and refere to me.

Ulf
LA2SL
#7 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 10:41:08 PM(UTC)

Man

Anything happening with my request?

Ulf
WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 1, 2013 9:23:24 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Quote:
Looks like the picture is gone from my entry in the forum, so I send you a copy by mail.

I also send a copy of what Rene is saying:

Our last tested version of Logic was Logic8. In this version the program did NOT poll the position information from the rotor and therefore could not show it.

Today I installed Logic9 in order to see if this has changed. And yes, it has.
With the Rotor set to:
Driver: HyGain DCU1, Green Heron RT-20 (uses 4800 Baud 2 stop bits), etc.
Baudrate: 4800
Stopbits: 2
Poll: checked
The program is now requesting position information from the rotor, see file attached. The ERC is answering properly with ';aaa' but the position is not shown on the rotor-head. You may contact the author of the program in order to clarify this.

If the supplier of Logic9 is asking for the commands used to poll the position, just send him the picture I attached in my last mail. This is showing the poll-command in BLUE (AI1;) and showing the answer of the interface in RED (;286).

As I mentioned in the forum, neither the rotor header nor the world map is updated, but I can control the rotor to any position from Logic9. Hope this can be fixed.

73 de LA2SL Ulf

Ok, I posted the picture you emailed. Don't know what happened to it -- I looked at it so we know it was there.

LOGic 8 does not support reading the heading from the controller.

The problem is that the semicolon is supposed to go AFTER the heading, not before. LOGic is looking for the semicolon to trigger the end of the packet. It makes no sense to put it before. This is going to be difficult to work with.

Does it always return three digits? ;000 or ;0? ;001 or ;1?
File Attachment(s):
image.jpg (21kb) downloaded 33 time(s).
LA2SL
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 1, 2013 11:09:43 AM(UTC)

Man

I have sent your comment to Rene. I'll let you know when I get an answer.

Sorry for causing you so much trouble!

Ulf