logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Kenwood TS-990S
ki0kb
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:45:48 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I'm using a new TS-990S and it works well with the TS-2000 utilized for the rig except for the PSK mode which it defaults to LSB when logging. Is there any other Kenwood rig that would work better or is the PSK mode just not on any of the other Kenwood rigs? Any suggestions?
Thanks Jeff / KI0KB
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2013 4:44:21 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi Jeff:

Do I understand correctly that your rig is a TS-990S, and you are using the TS-2000 driver in LOGic 9?

If this is your situation, make sure you are using the non-legacy TS-2000 driver in LOGic, not the one that says "(legacy)" after it.

Does the rig have a PSK position on the mode switch, or are you using LSB? This is the case with most rigs.

The way to work with this in LOGic is to enter the "modes returned by the rig" in radio setup
USB,LSB,CW,AM,FM is typical. Then manually log PSK when you are working PSK. LOGic will stop reading the mode from the rig until you manually log a mode listed in "modes returned by the rig". Look at the help for that screen.

Let me know if any questions.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
ki0kb
#3 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2013 7:04:22 PM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,
I am using the TS-990S. I have switched to a non-legacy driver although there was no non-legacy driver for the TS-2000 specifically that I could find. I am now using the Kenwood 940, 480, etc. non-legacy driver. I did enter into the Modes box the following: USB,LSB,CW,AM,FM,FSK,PSK.

The TS-990S does have a mode button for PSK which is read as LSB by Logic. Once I manually change to PSK it will stay there for subsequent contacts as you indicated until I switch modes which it seems to do automatically when I change modes. The FSK mode button is read as RTTY by Logic.

I can certainly live with that but it would be nice if at some point it could be recognized as PSK for logging purposes by Logic. With this new rig and it's abilities I find myself switching back and forth frequently between CW, RTTY, PSK and SSB and often for just a single contact or two. Since I have been used to Logic following my previous rigs without fail, non of which I did digital on, I will often miss that the mode did not follow in PSK until later. Now that I know the issue I'm usually on top of it but initially it caught me napping.

Anyway, great product and thanks for replying to my question.

Best 73 de Jeff / KI0KB

WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:14:38 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Can you direct me to the programming commands for the 990? I found the manual but it does not have it -- unless I overlooked it.

http://kenwoodusa.com/Us...AMA/Manuals/TS-990s.pdf

DH
ki0kb
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 11:57:59 AM(UTC)

Dennis,
This should be the link to the PDF file for the TS-990S Programming Command Codes. I can see why they didn't put it in the already 300 plus page manual.... Jeff / ki0kb

http://www.kenwood.com/i.../ts_990_pc_command_e.pdf
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:01:42 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, that's what I need. Thanks!