logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

WinKeyer (Navigator) Startup
aa4hp
#1 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2013 2:33:56 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man

I am running 9.0.53 and using a US Interface Navigator, with a built-in WinKeyer (version 23). The navigator connects via a USB port, and the WinKeyer shows up on my Win7 x 64 machine as Com7. When starting Logic9 up, about 40% of the time the WinKeyer initialization fails, causing the keyer to key the rig with random characters and usually displays and invalid response code error message in the WinKey window. After that burp, everything seems to work OK, but the inadvertent QRM is embarrasing.

My motherboard supplies power to the USB port even when the computer is turned off (unless you turn off the power supply), so Logic can't really control power to the WinKeyer chip. Is there an alternative way to initialize the keyer that doesn't depend on timing the power to it? Thanks and 73, Hank AA4HP
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:02:58 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Hi Hank:

Actually LOGic CAN and DOES control the power to WinKeyer by turning on the RTS line of the RS-232 port.

The fact that USB is physically involved should not be a factor. As far as LOGic is concerned it should work like any other RS-232 port.

What is this US Interface Navigator? Just a USB=>RS232 adapter? Who provided the chip and driver? (Look in the device manager). FTDI is good. Prolific is typically problematic. Anything else will probably work but can't say for sure.

There is no other way to turn on WinKeyer than to power the RTS pin. We just turn it on, and wait until the chip in WinKeyer has time to react -- I don't recall what it is, but way longer than the documentation states. If you think it needs to be longer, let me know.

Let us know.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY