logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Winkey - incorrect initial speed on form load
vk4iu
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:30:54 AM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

I am using a MicroHam MK2R+ SO2R controller with an internal Winkeyer - Rev 23. I assume that is the software version of the WinKeyer chip - the MK2R+ is about 3 years old.

The MK2R+ Winkey is set for min pot 15, max pot 28 - making the markings on the MK2R+ "CW speed knob" a nice 2 wpm spacing - and the knob is usually set at 22 wpm.

The system works well, no problems at all using it, I have many contacts in my log using it, with one exception. Logic seems confused about the speed at which the keyer is set.

When I load the form, the form says Winkeyer is set to 32 wpm. That would nice, but I am struggling at 22 wpm! If I turn the knob Logic reports min is 25, and max is 38! Code is actually being sent at 22 wpm.

On the Logic Winkeyer form Setup panel, the min/max speeds are set correctly at 15 and 28 wpm. As soon as I touch either min/max spinner in the Setup panel, the "WPM speed" sets correctly to the value of the MK2R+ knob - 22 wpm, and when I rotate the knob, Logic now reports the correct WPM on the knob, the min and max on the knob as 15 and 28 as it should be.

The next time I load the Logic Winkeyer panel, I have to do it all again to set my preferred speed.

I am not familiar with the inner workings of the Winkeyer protocol. But it would be nice if the speed could be set correctly at Logic WinKeyer form load.

Priority: Low.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:43:49 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Ok, confirmed -- I have the same problem here. I screwed something up last time I redid the Winkeyer code.

I think I have it working now. One change I did make is that before, LOGic would remember the setting of the WPM spinner on exit. On restart, it would set to this WPM. So if you set the spinner to say 5 WPM it would revert to that on startup, ignoring the pot. You had to move the pot for it to take effect.

Now, it ignores the WPM setting on exit and restart, and reads the pot setting. So if the pot is set to 15 min and 26 max, and the pot is in the middle, it will be set to 20 WPM on startup, regardless of what the WPM spinner was set to.

So I don't know if this is better or not, or if I should put it back to the way it was. Do you want it to remember the speed set in LOGic, or honor the spot setting?

Comments please!

Tnx & 73,

Dennis
vk4iu
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:42:56 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day,

I use several programs - most of which use the same WinKeyer.

My keying speed is related to my ability at CW, not a specific program that I use.

My expectation would be that "WPM" follows the setting in the WinKeyer - that is, the initial setting of WPM is from reading the pot of the Winkeyer.

Clearly, you cannot "set the WinKey pot" from the remembered WPM setting. That would be nice, but I have yet to see a winkeyer that uses a continuous rotary encoder, as compared to an analogue pot.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:49:06 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Originally Posted by: vk4iu Go to Quoted Post
Clearly, you cannot "set the WinKey pot" from the remembered WPM setting.

Right. When you set the speed in LOGic, it basically "disconnects" from the pot and ignores it until you rotate the pot a bit.

So the way I have it now it starts up "connected" to the pot. That makes sense to me. (Before it honored the setting in LOGic and was therefore disconnected from the pot.)

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY