logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Cannot create program workspace temp files
N7QMT
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 2:03:50 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

About a month ago I started getting errors when I started Logic 0 (I think about .50, but cannot check); this is also about the time I started using an instant backup program to copies files to an archive. The problems could be related, or might not; I do not know.

I am running Windows XP SP 02 with SP3. My logic.exe file is 1240kB dated 1/2/2013 10:12 AM.

At present, when I double click on the Logic icon, nothing happens. If I go to Prgram Files\Logic, right click Logic.exe, then I get an error: c:\program files\logic.exe c:\Docume~1\.............\Locals~1\Temp\VFP$2398_0292BEED.tmp FFFFFFFF - 5 - 1256, followed by another nearly identical error wih the file name ...BEEE.tmp with the same trailing characters. Then I get an error that may get close to the real problem, "Visual FoxPro cannot start. Cannot create program workspace temp files.

I changed the file permissions on the temp space to allow writes (supposed to be that way anyway). When I ran again I got similar errors.

The config.fpw includes progwok=TMP, editwork=TMP, and sortwork=TMP. I have not tried changing TMP to TEMP in this file.

Sure would like to get Logic working again and tackle a couple of radio interface issues. I really like the software, especially the flexibility.

I also notice that I have a VFP8err.log file, and can send that if it helps figure out this problem.
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:07:53 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Hi--

Do you actually get that error by merely right-clicking LOGIC.EXE??? IF so, it sounds like your Windows installation is damaged. Do you have system restore turned on? Try recovering to before the error started occurring. The shortcut doing nothing points to Windows problems too.

I am guessing you are trying to run LOGic from its install folder -- double-clicking or rightclick/open.

Assuming that Windows is OK, the fact that the shortcut no longer works indicates that your LOGic installation is corrupt. Try reinstalling the CD on top of what is there (do not uninstall first), then install the lates update again.

Quote:
The config.fpw includes progwok=TMP, editwork=TMP, and sortwork=TMP. I have not tried changing TMP to TEMP in this file.

NO! Change it back, or better yet, delete it before reinstalling so that the factory one is put back. There should be a TMP folder inside the LOGIC install folder. If that is missing, it could explain the error. The reinstall should fix all that.

Let us know!

DH
N7QMT
#3 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 2:47:23 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Update on the failure to start Logic problem. I changed nothing on my system. Before I started Logic, I STOPPEd by instant backup program. (It has a timer, so will restart after some time.) I was able to successfully start Logic, download QSLs from LoTW, and update QSL status. This leads me to believe the instant backup program is the root cause of my trouble. I will work on replacing the backup program with something smarter that does NOT interfere with my other software and computer operations.

I appreciate the quick answers and suggestions. I checked the items you suggested and found them as they should be, which leads me to a stronger conclusion the instant backup program is the cause of the problem.

I did not reload the software (still an option) because I temporarily misfiled the CD. It will turn up and be refiled in the correct findable location.
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 9:07:00 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Ok, FB.

I use this -- the Pro version. Not expensive, and backs up across LANs. I don't use any of the auto backup features tho.

http://www.backup4all.com/backup-products.html

Tnx & 73,

DH