logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Windows 8
W3KL
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 2:16:03 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi. Do you anticipate any problems running Logic 9 under Windows 8?

73, Jeff
W3KL
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
K7WTG
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:10:25 PM(UTC)

I have the same question. I need to replace my tired XP system and want to go to Win 8 if possible. I have a couple of Win 7 systems now and will go that way if necessary. I emailed Dennis a few days ago with the same question but have heard nothing. I was hoping to purchase a new system next week so am a bit anxious to know the answer.

Thanks for your post.

73 - Pete - K7WTG
A Logic User Since 1992
WN4AZY
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:43:16 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi Jeff and Pete:

Well, I got Win 8 installed today, and the spot log won't work because the sound control isn't registering properly. We will be working on it of course -- tomorrow I will try to manually register everything -- maybe it is just the installer that needs tweaking or we will at least have a workaround.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 8:53:32 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, good news. I ran the setup program in compatibility mode for Win 7 (right-click setup.exe and set Win 7 compatibility mode) and installed, and it worked fine.

However, I uninstalled and reinstalled using normal Win 8 mode, and it worked. I can't get it to fail now BigGrin. I guess I will have to set up a virtual Win 8 machine to test on.

DH
VE7GEL
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 2:21:38 PM(UTC)

I recently re-installed LOGic 9 on my new Windows 8 machine. I keep my data files on a network drive and use the parameter "C:\Program Files (x86)\LOGic\LOGic.exe" DATA=J:\LOGic9\logdata;J:\LOGic9\data in the shortcut to load the correct files. This worked fine in previous versions of Windows, and still does on my other, Windows 7, machine. But on Windows 8 I get the error below. It's as if LOGic somehow can't see the network. I have the program set up to "Run as Administrator" Any ideas?

Thanks,
Gord

P.S. Running in Windows 7 compatibility mode generates the second error about FoxPro.
File Attachment(s):
LOGic9error.PNG (12kb) downloaded 55 time(s).
win7error.PNG (9kb) downloaded 48 time(s).
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 4:18:11 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, so don't run it in Win 7 compatibility mode then. I didn't run LOGic in win 7 compatibility mode, just the install program SETUP.EXE. Now I don't even have to do that.

As for the network....

LOGic is just doing a DIR command for j:\logic9\logdata

Here is a test you can do. Go to tools/advanced/database commands. Type

public array arr
? adir(arr, "J:\LOGIC9\LOGDATA", "D")

It should print 1, the number of items found. This command shows the actual results:

display memory like arr

It will show the name of the directory and the date and time, provided the adir command actually succeeded.

Anyway, what I would make sure that Windows Expolrer has full access to the directory. Copy a file there. Delete it. Create a file there, delete it.

You could do away with the drive mapping. Just use UNC \\machine\share.... I have no reason to believe it would make any difference -- just something to try.

Let me know!
VE7GEL
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 5:50:40 PM(UTC)

No, I wasn't using it in Win 7 compatibility mode, only tried it to see if worked any better. Anyway, there apparently is some sort of issue with Windows 8 and network paths - it's an issue in other programs as well and gets some mention on the Windows Support site as well. Your suggestion of using the UNC method works fine.

Thanks!
WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 10:45:20 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Damn I'm good hihi.

UNC is the way to go anyway -- simpler and less confusing.

Tnx to adding to our repository of Win 8 knowledge.

DH

PS Fe just read this thread and commented that the guy in charge of the Win 8 project was fired. Now we know why hihi.