logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

CW output "hesitates" using WinKey
N5XZ
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:46:07 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered, Beta Testers

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Dennis,

I have an occasional problem with hesitation of CW characters from my CW interface to my rig (using WinKey). What format is the information is that LOGic sends to a USB interface via the USB port? Is it ASCII or some other format, or is it "on" and "off" information? If memory serves, it also happens using the paddle input on the RigExpert interface.

Computer: Win 7, 64 bit
USB interface: RigExpert Plus
Radio: K3

I was under the impression that LOGic sends ASCII information to the WinKey chip in the USB interface (RigExpert Plus). If that is the case, I can't see how it could be either the software or the computer, but must be some timing issues in the RigExpert. If LOGic, on the other hands, send "on" and "off" information to the RigExpert, then I would suspect the computer.

Can you assist?

Allen N5XZ
73, Allen N5XZ
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:16:10 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Hi Allen:

LOGic sends ASCII characters to WinKey. The timing is done 100% by Winkey.

There is quite a bit of handshaking going on to hilite the characters that have been sent, but that shouldn't slow it down unless the computer is REALLY slow -- at any rate I have had no reports of this sort of problem.

Make sure you have the .45 or later update. There were some fixes made to the Winkey, although it doesn't sound like this problem.

Are you using a Prolific USB=>RS232 adapter. It doesn't sound like that sort of problem, but I wouldn't put anything past them. There is another post here about Winkey that goes on and on and it turns out to be ... drum roll ... a Prolific adapter.

You could try some other software -- the TRX-Manager demo.

Thanks,

Dennis

LOGic talks to RS-232 ports that are USB based the same way that it talks to any other RS-232 port -- thru it's Windows driver. It does not know or care about the actual hardware implementation. Of course if the driver doesn't work....
N5XZ
#3 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2012 7:17:45 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered, Beta Testers

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WN4AZY Go to Quoted Post
Hi Allen:

LOGic sends ASCII characters to WinKey. The timing is done 100% by Winkey.

There is quite a bit of handshaking going on to hilite the characters that have been sent, but that shouldn't slow it down unless the computer is REALLY slow -- at any rate I have had no reports of this sort of problem.

Make sure you have the .45 or later update. There were some fixes made to the Winkey, although it doesn't sound like this problem.

Are you using a Prolific USB=>RS232 adapter. It doesn't sound like that sort of problem, but I wouldn't put anything past them. There is another post here about Winkey that goes on and on and it turns out to be ... drum roll ... a Prolific adapter.

You could try some other software -- the TRX-Manager demo.

Thanks,

Dennis

LOGic talks to RS-232 ports that are USB based the same way that it talks to any other RS-232 port -- thru it's Windows driver. It does not know or care about the actual hardware implementation. Of course if the driver doesn't work....

Thanks for in info, Dennis.

So what you're telling me is that LOGic sends ASCII characters via the USB port to the WinKey device. If that is the case, then the problem must be in the WinKey device, because the computer has already done it's job and the software (LOGic) has done its job. Unless there is some other handshaking going on between the WinKey device and the computer/software...are you aware of any? (As you can see, I am hoping you can help me narrow down the culprit here...I don't think it is LOGic or the computer at this time. I am in contact with the manufacturer of the WinKey device (RigExpert) also. I will be contacting K1EL directly if required)

Thanks, Allen N5XZ
73, Allen N5XZ
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2012 3:17:37 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Quote:
So what you're telling me is that LOGic sends ASCII characters via the USB port to the WinKey device.

Basically yes. LOGic sends characters to an RS-232 port. If it uses USB hardware for implementation that is fine so long as everything is compatible. It doesn't care about the hardware. An RS-232 port is an RS-232 port as far as a Windows application is concerned.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis