logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

email
W5GA
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 4, 2023 12:13:01 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Dennis, I just received this via another list - and thought it might help. W5OV is the Director of Operations for ARRL. In spite of what he states, this is the very first time I've seen anything at all about not using the arrl.net forwarding....ever, and I've been using it since its inception.

73 Doug W5GA

I just want to make everyone aware that the entire email industry is unsettled at the moment.

Earlier this year, the major players chose to enable anti-spoofing capabilities that have been part of the email portions of the TCP-IP standards, but just were never enabled. This is causing all manner of message rejections, disappearances, and other frustrations to all users. It's rough out there and ARRL is caught in the middle of all of this.

On top of this, many of our users have ignored the advisories to not use their @arrl.net addresses in their outgoing email software as their "From" address, and they persist in doing so. As ARRL.net is not a real email service, anyone using their @arrl.net address as their from email like that is risking their email not being passed along by any of the major email providers.

At this time, the best thing to do is to NOT use an email forwarding service like the ARRL has offered for decades. Use a real email address from a real email service company like gmail, yahoo, et al.

ARRL is evaluating the possibility to convert ARRL.net to a full-service email provider and not just forwarding of member emails. This is costly, and will take time to make a decision whether or not to do this.

--
Robert E. Naumann W5OV

Director of Operations
1 user thanked W5GA for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 11/6/2023(UTC)
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!