logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Major rewrite of FCC callbook database import in 10.0.119
WN4AZY
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2023 5:47:33 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
The FCC web site callbook lookup has been under construction from the FCC for some time. The last time we fixed it, it worked, but was very slow. It is currently not working. We will address this in a future update, hopefully after the site becomes stable again. Hopefully, they will improve the speed of the site also. However, the downloadable FCC callbook database is now our go-to solution for the FCC callbook.

Import is now much faster, in both in the download and processing stages. Downloading the large l_amat.zip file took just over one minute in my test (The speed is highly variable. I think it depends on the load on the FCC server. In my test I was running in excess of 2 megabytes per second). Downloading and processing l_amat.zip plus the seven daily files took just under three minutes. A new ZIP library is being used. It does not have the progress bar, but is fast enough that you don't really need one. It unzips the largest file in l_amat.zip in only a few seconds.

Support for download and import of daily files has been added so that your local callbook database can have the very latest data. In addition to the DOWNLOAD button that imports the complete list (l_amat.zip), buttons have been added for single-click download of all data, or just the daily data.

It is possible to keep your callbook up-to-date by first downloading the complete data, but from there on downloading only daily data. The FCC keeps the last seven daily files on their server, so if you miss a day, it is not an issue. Downloading twice a week (but not twice on the same day) will suffice.

A new checkbox has been added to automatically close the FCC dialog form upon completion of processing.

Command line switches are provided so that you can automatically update the callbook from the Windows Scheduler, a .bat file, or the command line:

‑IMPORTALL Automatically import all data including daily
‑IMPORTDAILY Automatically import daily data
‑AUTOCLOSE Automatically close FCC Import window upon completion
‑HELP Display this

To access FCC Import, click Tools/Internet/Import FCC USA (K) callbook.
1 user thanked WN4AZY for this useful post.
w2zi on 8/25/2023(UTC)
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!