logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Several Questions from a new user
W7OO
#1 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 6:22:23 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

As you know I am a new user. I love what I see so far.

I have a few general questions that I can not find the answer to in the instruction booklet or the help files. I put them in this category because they do not fit in any one other category.

1. My rig is an IC-781. When running split the TX frequency is not loaded into the log windows main log screen. Is it supposed to be?

2. My radio times out when I'm running Logic. By that I mean I will be tuning a band and every now and then the frequency display in the lower left corner goes to all zeros and I get an error message saying it timed out.

I have seen others here on the forum say they had a radio time out also. I wonder why you don't just re-try too reconnect a few times when this happens.

Right now to recover I have to quit the program and then bring it up again.

3. When I go to add a QSO to the log I hit the "+" button and it turns red. That clears the last Q and gives me a clean screen with the correct freq mode and time already loaded. My question is what ends the entry period (the add Q button is still red)? Right now I am hitting the "disc" button to save the Q but the instructions clearly say this is not necessary.

4. How do you program the keyer function keys? The help file says to go to "Log/Setup" but I do not find that combination on any of the drop down menus.

Thanks,

Bill
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
W7OO
#2 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 11:18:36 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi All,

I found the answer to question one (1) here on the forum. Apparently no Icom radio will allow the loading of the split frequency when it is controlled from the front panel of the radio. The only way Logic can display the split frequency is if it is controlled from the computer using Logic.

Since the 781 is a dual receive radio I'm sure most users do what I do in a pile up and look for the person the DX station is talking to with the second receiver so you can tail end the QSO. I do not use Logic to control the TX frequency when running split.

I can live with the way Logic works now. Question 1 can just be scratched from the list!

Any of the rest of you feel free to hop in here and answer any of the questions that you can. It sometimes takes Dennis a day or two to reply. I am quite anxious to learn how to load the Keyer Memories.

Thanks,

Bill
W7OO
WN4AZY
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:12:51 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
1. Actually a few of the Icoms -- 7800 & 7600 -- do read split status. Glad Icom is making progress on this.

2. The timeout happens when LOGic tries go get the status from the rig, and the rig does not respond. LOGic DOES retry several times, but finally gives up and lets you know there is a problem. Otherwise it would log the wrong freq or no freq. I really do not believe this is a LOGic problem. Check for RFI, Prolifc-based USB adapters -- and whatever else you can think of.

Rather than exit the program you can go to tools/reset radio and rotor nterfaces. This closes the ports, opens them, and reinitializes everything.

3. Any action that alerts LOGic that the QSO is over -- the Save button works. Adding a new QSO, or quitting the program or closing the log screen. You can also double-click the TIME OFF field.

4. You click Log then Setup. The Log menu is in the log form, not the main LOGIc window.

Let us know if any questions.

Dennis