logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

LOGic 10?
WN4AZY
#1 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2021 9:29:28 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
I knew I said that I wasn't planning to go to 10 for our versioning number, but given the new development platform, I am rethinking that. We need some easy way to tell if a version is the old Foxpro or the new. Making that major a change from 9.21.4 and calling it 9.21.5 doesn't make sense.

I probably shouldn't have gone from 9.1 to 9.20 then 9.21 etc.

So 10.something makes sense from a management perspective. Also, since we are on Foxpro version 10....

From a marketing perspective, I am afraid that people will be underwhelmed. It is not a rewrite and still doesn't have major features that people are wanting. My inclination at this point is to go ahead and make the change, but don't say anything about "LOGic 10". I will of course tell the world about the new platform and growth potential it gives us into the future.

What do y'all think?

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
K8ZM
#2 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2021 5:39:09 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
My 2 cents....

Go to 10, the platform change in and of itself is reason enough. Maybe 10.xx.yy initially, xx increments from 00 to 99 for "feature additions", yy increments from 00 to 99 for "fixes". Windows 11 is coming soon....might be advantageous for LOGic v11....hihi !!
LOGic v 10.xx.yy is the platform change making the path to v11.xx.yy possible. When its smart to change the appearance (maybe add "dark style" Cool) and add some clever new features (virtual com ports Drool) then release v11 with all the hype...."if you build it, they will come" !! BigGrin

73, Brad
1 user thanked K8ZM for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 8/10/2021(UTC)
W5GA
#3 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2021 10:40:57 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 97 post(s)
I would agree that going to 10 makes sense. I think the world is well used to advancement of program releases. As you said, the change in FoxPro almost necessitates it.
1 user thanked W5GA for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 8/10/2021(UTC)
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2021 3:59:50 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
OK thanks guys! 10.0.0 is available via help/check for updates. I will rethink what to do with the .0 and .0. I am leaning towards Brad's idea. The middle one if there are feature upgrades. The last number will simply be a serial number.

Another thing I added: The ability to use browsers other than Internet Explorer with LOGic. It is currently implemented only for the CIA Factbook.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
wa4pgm
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2021 6:00:31 PM(UTC)
kchavis

Groups: Administrators, Registered, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 221 time(s) in 191 post(s)
My suggestion since you make minor changes right after a update I would increment the 3 number.

10.0.0 - Major change
10.1.0 - update to features
10.1.1 - corrections to last update.

Make sense?
73 Kyle
1 user thanked wa4pgm for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 8/10/2021(UTC)