logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Big changes to LOGic
WN4AZY
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2021 8:59:28 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 483 time(s) in 398 post(s)
LOGic is written in Visual FoxPro. Microsoft discontinued upgrades to it some years ago. Thanks to its flexibility, power, and ability to interface with .Net and other technologies, it has continued to serve us well.

An independent individual has picked up support of Visual Foxpro, offering new versions which he has been updating monthly. It is called VFP Advanced or VFPA. He has fixed a number of bugs in the last official release of VFP 9, and has added new features as well. For example, there is a two gigabyte limit to a .DBF file size in the original VFP. No one has ever exceeded that in LOGic, but the possibility exists. That limit has been removed.

More importantly, VFPA gives us the option of making LOGic a true 64-bit program. This would be trivial except that all of the external stuff that LOGic calls also has to be converted to 64-bit. This is not something we are going to do immediately, but it does give LOGic more room to grow.

VFP is normally an interpretive language. A version of VFP Advanced that compiles to true Intel code is available. I am experimenting with this. It should be even faster.

This release of LOGic uses VFP Advanced (32-bit interpretive). You will notice better stability and perhaps a bit more speed. I finished it a couple weeks ago and have been using it. It has not been publicly released. It is currently not available thru the official LOGic updater.

If you want to help me test it, get your copy here.

http://distribution.hose.../LOGicUpdate_9.21.5.exe

If you run into problems, simply backgrade to 9.21.4, and report the problem here.

There are some new features in this release, one significant.

*Help/About now shows the Visual FoxPro version. This release is 10.01.something. If previous versions of had this version, it would show 9.something. You can get the VFP version in any version of LOGic by going to tools/advanced/database commands. Type

? VERSION()

Your current version of logic will show 9.something

*A new and as of now the latest version of the prefix exceptions file.

*Several people refused to upgrade to 9.21.4 because we "enhanced" the telnet and CW Keyer windows to show actual short descriptions on the function key labels instead of 1 2 3 ... 20. This caused them to take up a good bit more screen real estate. This release permits you to size the windows down to cover some of the 20 function key buttons. Most people do not use more than a few, especially on Telnet.

They are still a little bigger than before. But please keep in mind that relative to the lowest resolution monitors available today compared with a high-end monitor when these features were added to LOGic, they are much smaller.

*And now for the significant change: The space for storing user-defined fields has been doubled. It was previously 254 characters.

Enjoy, and thanks for testing for me.

Dennis WN4AZY
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
wa4pgm
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2021 10:08:32 AM(UTC)
kchavis

Groups: Administrators, Registered, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 219 time(s) in 189 post(s)
This version is having issues for me.

While installing a pop-up error "Can not locate the Microsoft Visual FoxPro support library"

Click "ok" seems to load but

When LOGic is "Updating prefix table" the installation stalls and I get the above pop-up error again.

After another minute "Program Error" OLE code 0x80080005: Server execution failed.

click "ok" and LOGic opens.

Exit LOGic

Try starting LOGic again

pop-up error "Can not locate the Microsoft Visual FoxPro support library"

LOGic hangs and finally get Error 1426 OLE error code 0x800800005: Server execution failed. has occured in program LOGICAPP AFTER_INIT, line 35. Attempt to continue

Yes

LOGic opens
1 user thanked wa4pgm for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 7/11/2021(UTC)
wa4pgm
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2021 11:20:03 AM(UTC)
kchavis

Man

More

Import LoTW QSLs

after clicking "Import directly from web"

Error 11 "Function argument value, type. or count is invalid" has occurred in program. FIXQSO, line 96.

Continue Y

Error 12 "variable STATE is not found. has occurred in program. FIXQSO, line 102.

Continue Y

Error 11 "Function argument value, type. or count is invalid" has occurred in program. FIXQSO, line 117.

Continue Y

Error 11 "Function argument value, type. or count is invalid" has occurred in program. FIXQSO, line 121.

etc....

WN4AZY on 7/11/2021(UTC)
wa4pgm
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2021 11:31:58 AM(UTC)
kchavis

Man

WN4AZY said: *Several people refused to upgrade to 9.21.4 because we "enhanced" the telnet and CW Keyer windows to show actual short descriptions on the function key labels instead of 1 2 3 ... 20. This caused them to take up a good bit more screen real estate. This release permits you to size the windows down to cover some of the 20 function key buttons. Most people do not use more than a few, especially on Telnet.

I tried resizing the Telnet 1 window but don't see this working. Maybe due to some of the errors I am getting?

WN4AZY on 7/11/2021(UTC)
WN4AZY
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2021 1:53:19 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Kyle:

Thanks for the quick turnaround!

I think everything is fixed now. Please download and install again.

I could not reproduce any problems with Telnet not shrinking. I doubt the other errors would cause it. Attached is a screen shot of what mine looks like in the smallest size.

Tnx & 73,

DH
File Attachment(s):
Screenshot 2021-07-11 144853.png (55kb) downloaded 46 time(s).
wa4pgm
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2021 2:37:02 PM(UTC)
kchavis

Man

Working now, except in Import LoTW when clicking "Automatically Check in these QSLs I get OLE Dispatch exception code 0 ....

Telnet window does shrink but text become distorted. See attached photos.
WN4AZY on 7/11/2021(UTC)
WN4AZY
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2021 5:58:30 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Thanks for the "Automatically Check in these QSLs" bug report. Fixed.

There is nothing attached to your last post, and mine looks fine (I added some text to the buttons.)

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
wa4pgm
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2021 7:50:36 PM(UTC)
kchavis

Man

Guess I forgot to add, lol
File Attachment(s):
2021-07-11 15_33_29-LOGic 9.png (29kb) downloaded 47 time(s).
2021-07-11 15_32_59-LOGic 9.png (70kb) downloaded 39 time(s).
WN4AZY on 7/11/2021(UTC)
K8ZM
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2021 8:28:14 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 178 time(s) in 159 post(s)
I'll give this a test tomorrow morning. Is it better to delete my current version or just install ?? I have a couple back-ups to do tonight but will be back at it in the am.

Brad, N8GLS
1 user thanked K8ZM for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 7/11/2021(UTC)
WN4AZY
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2021 8:35:21 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

WA4PGM: I see what is happening. You are getting word wrap if the line is too long to fit in the window. Make the form wider, and/or right-click the received data area and select a smaller or different font. The default is fixed-pitch. Choose a variable-pitch font such as Arial and it will take up a lot less space, but columns of data will not align. 8 -point Courier is readable and doesn't take up a lot of space.

N8GLS: Don't uninstall. Just install the new update on top of what's there. Likewise, if you want to backgrade, just install the older version on top of the new one.

Tnx/73,

Dennis WN4AZY
1 user thanked WN4AZY for this useful post.
K8ZM on 7/11/2021(UTC)
W5GA
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2021 10:51:26 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 96 post(s)
Dennis, the download link doesn't work. Click on it, nothing happens. Do a file/save as, it says it can't.

73 Doug W5GA
K8ZM
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2021 11:03:04 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

No issues downloading and installing. After trying a few basics like rig control all (4) of the Icoms (7610,7300,9700, and 705) are functioning. I haven't tried everything but the basics work. 6m has been open most of the day and continues tonight so logged a few FT8 QSO's via WSJT-X and LOGic is reading and processing the adif file just fine. Ran a few Awards reports without any issues. Awards Count seems right except for Counties but I'll go back and look in depth tomorrow, I think the last county count was 3077 but its now reporting 3078.

Uploaded FT8 QSO's to LoTW and got the attached OLE error screen, ignored twice and LOGic stopped complaining and seemed fine. Downloaded QSL's from LoTW and all was good except the LOTWRDATE field did not get populated. Its been running a couple hours but tomorrow will be running all day and I'll report more in-depth.

Brad, N8GLS

PS: Forgot to say THANKS for the update, the userfields up-sizing will mean I wont have to run a report to watch the character length of that field anymore.....WOOOHOOO !!

I just did another LoTW download and LOTWRDATE appears to be swapped with LOTWSDATE, so LOTWSDATE is being filled with what should be the LOTWRDATE. I didnt notice until I looked at USERFIELDS and saw an entry for LOTWSDATE which I have "disabled". Other fields not being captured are County, IOTA, and ITUZ, so if the LoTW QSL has these entries they are being ignored. I noticed also when doing the download you get the "wait" screen, usually this pops up if LoTW servers are a little slow in responding but in this instance if you watch the date field (download QSL's from this date) the date that appears in that field is rapidly flashing while its waiting. This is strange for just 2 QSL's being downloaded. I'll try to grab a video of that or at least a snippet to highlight. More tomorrow.

Update to the Italics above: LOTWRDATE and LOTWSDATE: Something changed in the June update of 9.21.4, all my QSL imports since June 23 have an entry for LOTWSDATE even though I have it disabled. LOTWSDATE has no entries for anything prior to June 23. This 9.21.5 update is similarly populating both fields "sometimes", i.e., I have several QSL's where the LOTWRDATE is populated with the same date as the LOTWSDATE even though they are not the same, I have others where there is no LOTWRDATE entry at all and the LOTWSDATE is actually the LOTWRDATE, and I have several with no LOTWSDATE and no LOTWRDATE, its a mixed bag. Generally it appears that LOTWSDATE is being generated and populated with a date, even though its disabled. LOTWRDATE rarely is getting populated, but LOTWSDATE seems to get over written with LOTWRDATE. Hope that makes sense, regardless, something is amiss with populating both of them and the "enable" checkbox has no effect.

Also, there is a typo in the prefix table for VE6 Province of Alberta, its listed as VE PROV: bc| ALBERTA and should be VE PROV: ab| Alberta. Funny as I just had an FT8 Qso and when it logged USERFIELDS had VE PROV as BC. Think I did an awards update before seeing that so will correct the prefix table and run it again to fix all the other VE6 QSO's from AB that are probably tagged BC.
File Attachment(s):
WN4AZY on 7/12/2021(UTC)
WN4AZY
#12 Posted : Monday, July 12, 2021 7:37:12 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Originally Posted by: W5GA Go to Quoted Post
Dennis, the download link doesn't work. Click on it, nothing happens. Do a file/save as, it says it can't.

73 Doug W5GA

It definitely works here. You have to click the link in the browser. You can't copy and paste. The forum software converts it to a short form with ... instead of the actual full URL.

Here is the URL without the http: at the beginning. You can copy and paste this:

distribution.hosenose.com/LOGicUpdates/LOGicUpdate_9.21.5.exe

Tnx for your help!

Dennis WN4AZY
WN4AZY
#14 Posted : Monday, July 12, 2021 9:12:19 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

N8GLS:

Thanks for the info.

A release or two ago I started ignoring the Enabled flag for updating lotwsdate and lotwrdate. There was a bug where you could potentially lose user-defined field data if you imported something that was not defined in LOGic's tools/setup/log fields. This was a quick and dirty fix. I fixed it properly this morning. Pse download again.

Another related change I did that hasn't been uploaded yet is that when using FIX QSO to automatically look up membership data, it now looks at Enabled as well as ADIF Import. I guess if the field is disabled no one would want it logged either.

I fixed some stuff related to LOTWSDATE and LOTWRDATE. I wasn't really seeing where LOTWSDATE and LOTWRDATE would get reversed, but maybe I fixed something before you reported it. It looks OK here now.

Fixed VE6. Thanks.

Not sure what was going on with LoTW Upload. I didn't do anything that should affect that. My cert expired, but I think my test was still valid since LOGic did run TQSL for me.

We'll keep an eye on it.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K8ZM
#15 Posted : Monday, July 12, 2021 9:49:04 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Thanks Dennis,

I'll download again and report back.

Ha, well that explains why LOTWSDATE "magically" was getting populated, no problem, especially now that USERFIELDS is twice the size it was !!

I was confused on the LOTWxDATES somehow getting swapped, I had to go over it again and again to make sure I wasn't having a senior moment. I have a couple uploads to make and some new QSL's have appeared in LoTW so will do both and report back.

All in all, LOGic has been extremely stable, Spot Log is functioning and processing spots as it should, rotor control works fine, I'm running more reports but so far all seems great. I'll try to video capture the LoTW Upload/Download session, for sure it will work fine if I do that...HA!!

I have never tried FIX STUFF or FIX QSO for fear it will fix more than I want. Can you pick and choose what it fixes ??

Next Request: Now that USERFIELDS is double the size, any chance of allowing for more user defined fields to be active in the logform ?? I have all mine maxed out and need about 5 or 10 fields to have all without needing to have multiple log forms open.

BTW, thanks again for the update and am glad to help test out the pre-release. If you need me to try anything specific just yell !!

Brad, N8GLS
WN4AZY on 7/12/2021(UTC)
WN4AZY
#16 Posted : Monday, July 12, 2021 10:05:27 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Quote:
I have never tried FIX STUFF or FIX QSO for fear it will fix more than I want. Can you pick and choose what it fixes ??
No. Just do a backup first. It is pretty conservative. It won't overwrite any existing data, even if the existing data is incorrect (i.e. a bad CQ Zone.)

There are currently 20 user-defined fields available to every log form. Are you saying you want 10 more?

Tnx again for your help.

DH
K8ZM
#17 Posted : Monday, July 12, 2021 11:17:18 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Ok, thanks for FIX STUFF/FIX QSO, I'll have to try it.

As for user defined fields, they are like processor speed, one can never have it fast enough !! Actually the ability to have 5 to 10 more fields would make the layout easier, I have a very small logform and tiny text so I can get all the other windows on the screen but I could easily squeeze 5 or more fields in. Funny, I run (3) 28" 4kUltra HD monitors and all are crammed, problem its getting harder to see the teeny tiny text at this age...HA !! Speaking for myself, not a priority but certainly even 5 more would make a difference, 10 even better (ha).

Ok, so I made a video of the LoTW upload/download process and like I said, since it was being recorded it worked perfectly, all fields are now filling with the correct data !! Thanks for the quick fix !!

Back to trying to find County 3078 of 3077. I had a worksheet sometime ago but must have tossed it away so have no "snapshot" in time to compare to. Ok, so where was I.... number 105 of 3078, good, number 106, good, 107...good......zzzzzz BigGrin BigGrin !!

73, Brad

WN4AZY on 7/12/2021(UTC)
K8ZM
#18 Posted : Monday, July 12, 2021 12:10:58 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

County discrepancy is in Florida. Should be 67 counties but the count in LOGic is 68. The offending county entity is Dade, there is also Miami-Dade which I believe is correct, at least per CountyHunter.com. So that would take the count from 3078 to 3077. All the other county totals per state are correct. I didn't validate all the county names, just the totals per state to get the total count correct.

Brad, N8GLS

WN4AZY on 7/12/2021(UTC)
WN4AZY
#19 Posted : Monday, July 12, 2021 2:09:21 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi--

The list that ships with LOGic is correct. The problem is that installing the new list does not delete any existing entries. So the way to fix it is to delete the entire CTY list, then reinstall the lists with the update. Or in this case, just delete FL,DADE.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
1 user thanked WN4AZY for this useful post.
K8ZM on 7/12/2021(UTC)
K8ZM
#20 Posted : Monday, July 12, 2021 3:25:49 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

No problem, delete worked and the counts are back.

Thanks again !!

Brad
WN4AZY on 7/12/2021(UTC)