logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

VA QSO party logform
WD4ASP
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2011 10:16:02 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I am currently using Logic8. I looked at some of the other state QSO party logforms but did not find one I could easily modify to handle some of the apparently special features of this one. This contest not only includes the 95 counties but also 35 independent cities as multipliers, mobile/portable stations operating in different counties not being detected as DUPS, special bonus for work K4NVA. Quite a few of the VA participants typically use the county/independent city abbreviations. How can these be entered so they will expand to the correct county/independent city name? This link gets to the rules: http://www.qsl.net/sterling/uf1.htm. Is there a logform for this QSO party already in existence?

Thanks,

Fred
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2012 10:14:11 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
Hi Fred:

Actually, I think the existing log forms aren't too far off. A station is either in a county or independent city, not both, right? So the logic doesn't change from just a contest that has just counties.

The most difficult part will be getting a list of counties and independent cities to populate the dropdown. I downloaded their .DOC file, copied the table, and it pasted into OpenOffice spreadsheet no problem. From there one can copy and paste to get everything in one long column (Ok, two if you cound Value and Description). That will be easy to import.

Anyway, this happens in March. I'm tryig to get LOGic 9 out the door, and the ARRL 10M is due in a few days, so send me a reminder.

http://www.qsl.net/sterl..._VQP/2012_VQP_Main.html

Tnx & 73,

DH
WD4ASP
#3 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 12:06:11 AM(UTC)

Man

Dennis,

Just sending you the reminder you requested about the Va QSO party contest form.

Fred
WD4ASP
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:03:50 AM(UTC)

Man

Dennis,

Looking closer at the list of counties and independent cities there are some that have the same name. However, the cities are prefixed with an asterisk. There are only a few, listed below, where the county and the city are the same but differentiated by an asterisk.

BED Bedford
BEX *Bedford
FFX Fairfax
FXX *Fairfax
FRA Franklin
FRX *Franklin
RIC Richmond
RIX *Richmond
ROA Roanoke
ROX *Roanoke

Adding the asterisk makes the city names unique so there would not be a county or city with the same name.

Thanks,

Fred

PS. I ordered Logic 9 yesterday so I'll be running that by the time of the contest.

WN4AZY
#5 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2012 9:31:34 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, the cities and counties aren't an issue -- so long as each one has a unique identifier. Just log BED or BEX for example.

I imported the list and it is attached. I discovered that you can import stuff from an HTML page with a table by saving the HTML code for the table only to a text file with a .XLS extension, then opening it in OpenOffice Calc. I think excel does the same thing. All I had to do was copy and paste to get the three columns into one, then export to .TAB delimited.

Will start on the log form soon.

Tnx & 73,

DH
File Attachment(s):
VAQSO.DBF (63kb) downloaded 92 time(s).
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 8:36:13 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Have started on the log form -- I haven't forgotten BigGrin. Tomorrow hopefully.
WD4ASP
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:50:42 PM(UTC)

Man

Dennis,

I'm trying to set up the Terminal keys for the contest and I'm having trouble trying to get the serial number be automatically transmitted"

"<TX>" + TRIM(CALL) +" "+ TRIM(CALL)+" " + TRIM(STX)+" "+ TRIM(STX) + " K"+"<RX>"

Verify gives the following error: Variable 'STX' is not found. What is the proper syntax to get this to work? Also when I clicked the Help button in the error box the button highlights but nothing else happens.

Fred

WN4AZY
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:00:55 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, here it is. Not positive that it is perfect, but at least it logs the required info -- the scoring and cabrillo can be fixed after the contest if necessary.

Here is how to install it.

1. Download VAQSO.DBF from my previous post. Go to tools/setup/list of valid values. Import VAQSO.DBF. Now COPY VAQSO to MYVAQSO using the COPY button.

2. Save the attached log form to the logdata\logforms folder. Open it. Close it. Go to tools/setup/log fields. Find VAQSO and make sure that EDIT USING LISTS TABLE and ENABLED are checked. Do the same for MYVAQSO.

You should be good to go.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
File Attachment(s):
VA qso party (in & out of state).logform (10kb) downloaded 88 time(s).
WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:06:24 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Originally Posted by: WD4ASP Go to Quoted Post
Dennis,

I'm trying to set up the Terminal keys for the contest and I'm having trouble trying to get the serial number be automatically transmitted"

"<TX>" + TRIM(CALL) +" "+ TRIM(CALL)+" " + TRIM(STX)+" "+ TRIM(STX) + " K"+"<RX>"

Verify gives the following error: Variable 'STX' is not found. What is the proper syntax to get this to work? Also when I clicked the Help button in the error box the button highlights but nothing else happens.

You need

"<TX>" + TRIM(CALL) +" "+ TRIM(CALL)+" " + STX() + TRIM(STX) + " K"+"<RX>"

or

"<TX>" + TRIM(CALL) +" "+ TRIM(CALL)+" " + STX(5) + TRIM(STX) + " K"+"<RX>"

The parameter is the number of digits to return.

STX() returs 1 2 3 4 5

STX(4) returns 0001 0002 0003 0004 0005

STX(5) returns 00001 00002 00003 00004 00005

Search for STX in help for more info.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
WD4ASP
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:37:08 PM(UTC)

Man

Dennis,

Thanks for getting this form ready for me. I started testing it out this evening and have a couple of questions.

First off, I didn't ask the correct question previously about using the terminal keys. I want to use the HamScope interface to receive and send the contest information. I've tried various configuration but am unable to find one that keeps the HamScope keys active. They get greyed out and when I try to use Alt+function key directly, instead of clicking the numbered button, I get this error message:

"No terminal is associated with this log form. Please go the log/setup/rig-rotor-terminal and select one."
I Click OK

So from the QSO party log form I click the Log button and select Setup
I Select the Rig, Rotor, and Terminal tab and select HamScope1 and click OK
I ended Logic and HamScope and then restarted them in the same sequence. Don't know whether this needs to be done to update the log form and tried again.

The exact sequence is as follows:

Start Logic (HamScope is one of the default screens)
Start HamScope
Select the VA qso party (in & out of state) log form
Click OK
The contest score and input screen appear and the message keys in Logic's HamScope screen that have entries are bold.
I click in the HamScope screen and all the message keys get greyed out

From the QSO party log form I click the Log button and select Setup
I Select the Rig, Rotor, and Terminal tab and select HamScope1 and click OK
I ended Logic and HamScope and then restarted them in the same sequence
Select the VA qso party (in & out of state) log form
Click OK
The contest score and input screen appear
The Log and CW Keyer selections are highlighted
I Click in the HamScope screen and all the message keys are greyed out
The main Log screen has Log and Terminal selection highlighted but the VA contest form does not.

How do I get these keys to work? I want to try using PSK in the contest.

Also, I tried the STX() fix and after entering it if I don't click the Verify button it gets accepted. However, if I to click the Verify button the following error is displayed:

"Invalid subscript reference."

If I change the usage from STX() to STX(4), for instance, Verify does not display an error. It does appear that STX() does work however.

It's late but I hope this gives you enough information and it makes sense to you. Let me know if you need more.

Thanks,

Fred

WN4AZY
#11 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 9:36:28 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, you have to be using the Forms/Hamscope window in LOGic. HamScope has two methods that it uses to talk to LOGic. You want to use LOGic for logging. And you will be in LOGic when you use the function keys. See attached screen shot. (I just set up a simple TEST function key in #1).

An aside, we want to add another newer digital program to LOGic. I am looking at FLDIGI. It is open-source, although not compiled with .NET or anything. It does support external interfacing. Have you had any experience with it?

Tnx/73,

DH
File Attachment(s):
Capture.PNG (49kb) downloaded 57 time(s).
WD4ASP
#12 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 10:25:42 PM(UTC)

Man

Dennis,

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with FLDIGI.

When I am using the regular Log screen, see "Normal screen with HamScope active" file, I can just click on the keys in Logic's HamScope screen and they will transmit what they are programmed to.

When I bring up the VA QSO Party screen the HamScope keys are still highlighted, see "VA QSO Party screens - Logic HamScope screen keys still highlighted" file. However, when I click on the HamScope screen after I have brought up the VA QSO Party screen they get greyed out, see "Clicked on HamScope screen - keys all greyed out now" file. I have included the "Log form setup for VA QSO Party" file to show that HamScope is selected for the Terminal. I tried this when I observed that the HamScope keys got greyed out with the Terminal selection was set to None. Regardless of whether HamScope or None is selected the result is the same in the Logic HamScope screen.

Thanks,

Fred

File Attachment(s):
Normal screen with HamScope active.jpg (544kb) downloaded 68 time(s).
Log form setup for VA QSO Party.jpg (840kb) downloaded 59 time(s).
WD4ASP
#13 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 11:25:54 AM(UTC)

Man

Dennis,

I figured out the problem with the HamScope keys getting greyed out. I did not have them set up in the contest form but only in the Main form.

Now I'll need to see if I can make any contacts. Thanks for all your help and patience.

Fred