logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Ukrainian Regions/Oblasts
vk4iu
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2014 9:03:51 AM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day Dennis, and others who may wish to comment.

As seen elsewhere I have been educating myself about LOGic and contesting, and how it all fits together, so I can better analyse my own contest efforts in LOGic.

Tonight I discovered a few more things of interest, and realise something that might need to change, a little, in the Prefix table.

The Ukrainian DX contest logform I have been working with has its origin back in 2002 and has had a few minor problems, which I have corrected and shared on the forum.

The latest issue has been multiple surplus vertical bars, and multiple OBL (Russian Oblasts) entries appearing in USERFIELDS, for QSOs in the contest.

On examination of the log and the forms, I found the extra data being inserted by the contest form, copying (incorrectly) OBLASTS from the Prefix table.

On examination of the Prefix table, I found the Oblasts part of the LOCATION field, and on checking the material they accurately reflect the table of Ukrainian Oblasts listed at the Ukrainian contest web site - all except for calls UR?J,US?J,UT?J,UU?J,UV?J,UW?J,UX?J,UY?J, which are Sevestapol City, the location material in the Prefix table is missing. I have corrected Sevestapol City locally, but the material needs to be corrected for the next Prefix table update.

Those small errors and omission aside, it occurs to me that the Oblast list may need to be "adjusted", particularly given the current state of play in the Ukraine.

I have no experience or knowledge of how Oblasts were treated in the past, or what awards there may still be for "working oblasts" - I guess the USSR was all ONE back then and the full Oblast list made sense.

Is there a case for updating the LOCATION entries in the Prefix table for Ukraine, to reflect the current politics? What about Belarus, or Georgia, or the various central Asian republics ex the USSR?

For the Ukrainian DX Contest I will stick with the small list of Ukrainian Regions/Oblasts under a list named UR - all the better to track progress in the contest.

Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2014 10:14:03 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
... made a fool of myself again!

There are TWO Js in the list of suffix characters which map to Ukrainian regions! Open ya eyes Pete!!!!

Hence the LOCATION entry in the Prefix table should NOT have a region/oblast in LOCATION.

So, no change needed for the Prefix table in that regard, but I guess the question about the Russian oblast list is still open.

Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.