logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Problem with .060
N6FM
#1 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 2:34:54 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

With this version,(.060) I have to restart Logic about 3 or 4 times a week due to this error. It indicates out of memory but I have almost 2gb free. Using Windows 8.1 on an AMD quad-core. I did not have this problem with 5.9 or earlier. It causes the map display to be replaced with a big red X and with the map display exited, it re-occurs. Exiting the program and restarting is the mitigation. Sometimes I must perform a "Clean" prior to starting:

(
************* Exception Text **************
System.OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory.
at System.Drawing.Graphics.FromImage(Image image)
at PDA.LOGic.WorldMap.MainForm.DrawSun(Boolean lForceDraw)
at PDA.LOGic.WorldMap.MainForm.suntimer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

PDA.DotNetLoader
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.9
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/LOGic/assembly/PDA.DotNetLoader.DLL

PDA.Encryption2
Win32 Version: 2.0.0.50
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/LOGic/assembly/pda.Encryption2.dll

PDA.LOGic.WhereItIs
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.58
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/LOGic/assembly/pda.logic.whereitis.dll

PDASoundUI
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/LOGic/assembly/PDASoundUI.DLL

System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.7905 (win9rel.050727-7900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

PDADirectSound
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.157
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/LOGic/assembly/PDADirectSound.DLL

PDA.Config
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.800
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/LOGic/assembly/PDA.Config.DLL

Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.7905 (win9rel.050727-7900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

PDA.LOGic.MorseUI
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/LOGic/assembly/PDA.LOGic.MorseUI.DLL

PDA.LOGic.Morse
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.31
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/LOGic/assembly/PDA.LOGic.Morse.DLL

PDAWindowsControls
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.54
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/LOGic/assembly/PDAWindowsControls.DLL

System.Web
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.Web/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.dll

SlimDX
Assembly Version: 2.0.11.43
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/SlimDX/2.0.11.43__b1b0c32fd1ffe4f9/SlimDX.dll

msvcm90
Assembly Version: 9.0.30729.8387
Win32 Version: 9.00.30729.8387
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/WinSxS/x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.8387_none_5094ca96bcb6b2bb/msvcm90.dll

PDA.LOGic.WorldMap
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.542
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/LOGic/assembly/pda.logic.worldmap.dll

GetNormalWindowPlacement
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.84
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/LOGic/assembly/GetNormalWindowPlacement.DLL

)
Thanks
Ben
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#2 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 4:44:57 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day Ben,

What are the circumstances when the error occurs?

When Logic starts ...

When I load the spot log ...

As soon as I ...

Clearly, there is NOT a rash of messages pointing to the map crashing for everybody using Logic. In the absence of any specific information, I suggest ...

The goal is to find a situation where you are in control, and then slowly work back to running the map successfully.

The map takes its input from what you are doing - principally the spot log. There may be corrupt data in the input to the map - or being provided to the spot log. Unload the tools providing the input to the spot log. Delete all the old spots. Purge all the alerts. Then try running the map.

In the Logic installation folder you will find WorldMap.config. Rename it or delete it. It will be recreated by Logic.

Once the system is stable - you can load the map and it does not crash. Carefully check the Map configuration. Then work a step at a time, until the problem occurs - if at all. Change as little as possible, working a step at a time.

When reporting errors, the more information you can provide about the specific circumstances when the crash occurs, the better.

What is the source of data for the spot log?
Do any spots actually get plotted? How many?
If you turn off the spot log, can you plot the sample spots?
Can you re-centre the map and redraw it?

I am not a user of Windows 8.1, so cannot provide specific instructions.

What is running at the same time as Logic?
Does the problem happen with Logic alone on the system?

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
N6FM
#3 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 6:00:01 PM(UTC)

What are the circumstances when the error occurs?

When Logic starts ...

The problem occurs when Logic has been running for a day or two during which time other stuff like Office etc is used to read email, or Chrome is used to browse, but it never happens during those times. I see the error when I get up in the morning and turn on the screen, there it is.

The map does not "crash" as such. it is still there however, with the icons messed up and that big red X. Exiting the map ad restarting does not solve the problem. I must exit Logic and restart.

The spot log is set for DX Summit , 25 spots, 9 minute refresh and runs 24 hrs per day. Occasionally it will fail with a message that the file it received is too small. Pressing the download button restores it (just like it has done for the last several main releases of Logic. Spots are plotted on the map properly. The map works properly in all respects as it has done since I started with Logic 4 years ago. The only other event that happens at night is that the system is routinely backed up by Windows Home Server, which it has been for years. No changes have been made to the system before upgrading to .60 from .59 which did not have this problem.

It would appear that there is some memory leakage going on somewhere. I will delete the config. It may take a day or two for the error to show up again. I thought that the crash dump would be helpful to Dennis. Next time I will include the main text of the error message.

THanks
Ben

Originally Posted by: vk4iu Go to Quoted Post
G'Day Ben,

When I load the spot log ...

As soon as I ...

Clearly, there is NOT a rash of messages pointing to the map crashing for everybody using Logic. In the absence of any specific information, I suggest ...

The goal is to find a situation where you are in control, and then slowly work back to running the map successfully.

The map takes its input from what you are doing - principally the spot log. There may be corrupt data in the input to the map - or being provided to the spot log. Unload the tools providing the input to the spot log. Delete all the old spots. Purge all the alerts. Then try running the map.

In the Logic installation folder you will find WorldMap.config. Rename it or delete it. It will be recreated by Logic.

Once the system is stable - you can load the map and it does not crash. Carefully check the Map configuration. Then work a step at a time, until the problem occurs - if at all. Change as little as possible, working a step at a time.

When reporting errors, the more information you can provide about the specific circumstances when the crash occurs, the better.

What is the source of data for the spot log?
Do any spots actually get plotted? How many?
If you turn off the spot log, can you plot the sample spots?
Can you re-centre the map and redraw it?

I am not a user of Windows 8.1, so cannot provide specific instructions.

What is running at the same time as Logic?
Does the problem happen with Logic alone on the system?

Peter VK4IU

vk4iu
#4 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 9:21:08 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day again,

So we really do not know when the error occurs - it is "just there" when you turn on the display in the morning.

And given you need to exit and restart Logic, it is probably bad data being fed to Logic at some point.

I think Dennis uses .Net and DirectX for the map, which get updated by Microsoft, and Dennis may have made changes to the Map code for .60. Either one may "run out of memory". When the backup runs during the night, at some point, it will have to take exclusive use of files to actually perform the backup. It may simply be the ""Russian roulette" of that process.

Clearly when you turn on the display, you want to see spots from the last hour or so. If it is a problem with Logic, to help Dennis find it, I suggest a couple of things ... waiting for the error to occur in between.

Yes, I know. Its a real pain. But, without some pointers to where the problem is occurring, finding a solution can be impossible.

Terminate and reload Logic, just before you turn off the display in the evening. Keep doing that util the problme occurs.

Simplify the map - before you turn off the display in the evening, turn OFF the Sun terminator and/or Lat,lon lines. If the problem occurs turn them back on and go to the next step.

Don't update the Spot log - again before you shut down for the evening, close DXSummit. If the problem occurs turn DX Summit back on.

Or ... turn off the spot log and just let the map run.

I hesitate to say stop running the backup for a while. But, you might like to "exclude Logic" from the backup process to see if the backup is causing the problem. I am assuming one can do that in 8.1. One certainly can in Win7.

Finally one can "down grade" by running the .59 update over the top of Logic. Does the problem still occur - then it must be something that has changed in .Net or Windows - the libraries Dennis is using. If the problem occurs, reload .60.

I am sure Dennis will appreciate the formation you gather to help in finding the problem.
Peter VK4IU
vk4iu
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:39:16 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day Ben,

I normally use DXATlas for the "map" in Logic.

Last night I opened the Logic map and set it working plotting spots. I use VE7CC as the spot source using Telnet.

This morning it is still functioning OK. I too run Logic 24/7. I shall leave the Logic Map running.

So far, so good. I am using Win7 64bit, and I load/unload anything and everything by way of other software while Logic does its work. My utility to filter duplicate alerts, and alerts for which no propagation is possible, is also running. I do not run a backup every night.
Peter VK4IU
N6FM
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:39:00 PM(UTC)

I use DX atlas as well (although I forgot to mention it). Since I deleted the file you mentioned and turned off backups there have been no errors. I will turn back on backups this evening and see what happens.

Windows Home Server makes image backups nightly on up to 10 devices. I have been using it for the last 6 or so years without problems.

I run Windows 8.1 64 bit as well and I run Logic as administrator. Hopefully the deleted file was the culprit. The system has 9 com ports and runs 3 radios, 2 rotators as well as 2 PK232s (RTTY and Pactor) and a PK-96 for Packet.

As an aside, I run TRX Manager on a different machine with DX Atlas as well. There, a line is drawn on the map between my location and the location of the DX station. Might be nice if Logic did that is well, but it is not really that important.

Originally Posted by: vk4iu Go to Quoted Post
G'Day Ben,

I normally use DXATlas for the "map" in Logic.

Last night I opened the Logic map and set it working plotting spots. I use VE7CC as the spot source using Telnet.

This morning it is still functioning OK. I too run Logic 24/7. I shall leave the Logic Map running.

So far, so good. I am using Win7 64bit, and I load/unload anything and everything by way of other software while Logic does its work. My utility to filter duplicate alerts, and alerts for which no propagation is possible, is also running. I do not run a backup every night.
vk4iu
#7 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 8:43:43 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

Hi Ben,

That is like a great setup you have there.

If the backup is doing "image backups", it will simply do a block copy of the data and follow that with a "transaction log" of data that changed during the backup. It will not be doing "file based I/O".

The Logic Map, and my little "duplicate alert remover", have now been functioning for several days now - continuously.

Telnet has been active/inactive due to storms and reboots of the VE7CC PC, but I simply click "CON" in the Telnet window, and off it all goes again plotting the spots in the Logic Map.

Logic keeps me young! ... well, young at heart, and the brain active and alert, mostly.

Lets us know what you find to be the problem.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU