logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

I need a 2nd Serial Port
KK6BT
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:07:22 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I use the DB9 serial connector on my Yaesu 5000 to connect to LOGic 9 via a serial to USB adapter. Now I want to add a pan-adapter so I can view the signals near the frequency I have tuned my rig to. The problem is, the pan-adapter needs a DB9 to DB9 cable connected to the one and only DB9 serial connector on my rig. How can I have my cake and eat it to?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:58:21 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Ok, I am not familiar with that particular hardware configuration. Perhaps someone else here will know more.

From what little I know about it: First of all, it is unusual for scope data to be sent via an RS-232 port -- there is a lot of data there and not much bandwidth. But perhaps the RS232 port is used to merely let the PanAdapter know where center freq is, and it may get the RF sample elsewhere. If that is the case, a simple Y cable may work.
http://hosenose.com/stor...mp;PrimaryCatID=46&

I would pick up the phone and call (or email) the makers of the Panadapter and say "Hey, I have an FT-5000. I am using the CAT feature to talk to my logging program. How do I set up the Panadapter?"

Let us know.

Tnx & 73,

DH
KK6BT
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:50:25 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

You are right, the RS-232 port is only used by the pan-adapter so it knows where the center frequency is. The Rf originates from a seperate connector on the back of the FT-5000. Like you, my first thought was a Y cable. I first went to Cables to Go and couldn't find one. Then I searched the web and couldn't find one. It may be most circuits that provide the data to the RS-232 port can only drive one component, not 2 --just a thought.

I wish it were so simple as to just pick up the phone and call the pan-adapter people. But, they don't disclose their phone number so you can only communicate by e-mail (they don't give the great service you do!).

I will try the e-mail route and see if I get anywhere.

Thanks
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:11:17 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
I provided a link to the Y cables we sell in my last post. We had a hard time finding them too. I think that is all we order from that supplier -- our usual supplier does not have them either.

RS-232 is pretty forgiving. It is supposed to have a 50' limit. But we've used it over 1500' using minimally-shielded cables strung thru trees. If the FT-5000 is like most stuff it should have enough output.

They don't have a phone#? Must not be very hungry hihi.